Preparation for long distance bike rides

Akshat Katre

Nov 12, 2010, 12:55:21 AM11/12/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I was wondering if there is a training plan that can be adopted for
novice bikers who want to attempt long distances. It's quite easy to
find training plans for 1/2 marathon, marathons, and there seems to be
a define structure and rationale to it. I wanted to know if there are
similar training plans exist in the biking realm.

I want to attempt a 200K ride sometime soon. The maximum I have ever
cycled at a stretch is 100K, and it took me about 5 hours to get it
done. I have a Merida Matts 10 series MTB.

Thanks
Akshat

Sudhir P

Nov 12, 2010, 2:40:39 AM11/12/10
to Akshat Katre, Bangalore Bikers Club
Gradually increase your distance every weekend... By about 10% each ride according to the books.... But if you are really impatient, you can as well do a 125, 150, and a 175 before you step to the 200

You 'can' directly do a 200 rightaway, but you'll struggle for the next coupla days...... The gradual increase ensures you'll not be risking too many days off your bike

And cycling smaller distances regularly on weekdays helps a lot, compared to doing one off bursts of riding

There's gonna be a 200 ride on dec 5th...  See if you can be prepared for it by then..... But, if you dont feel upto it, dont push urself too hard

And hydrate well, take electroltes etc

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

--
================================
Sudhir.P

I do not suffer from insanity......
I enjoy it!
================================

Akshay Prabhu

Nov 12, 2010, 2:49:23 AM11/12/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
+1 to Sudhir.

Daily riding of 30-35km helps a lot.

But I practised as below and did not face any aftershocks :)
Daily 30-35,
saturday 100-120
sunday off
Then went and did 588 straight.

Sudhir P

Nov 12, 2010, 3:41:58 AM11/12/10
to Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
that doesnt work for all ppl akshay

Some ppl give up because they feel very uncomfortable at some point..... And this also depends on how fit you are..... I know that runner-turned-cyclists had it really easy because the body is already ready for the abuse..... Its only about being comfortable with 10 hrs on the saddle

--
biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)

are you a part of the bicycle racing scene?
Visit www.bangalorebicyclechampionships.com for more details

Chidambaran Subramanian

Nov 12, 2010, 3:46:03 AM11/12/10
to Sudhir P, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Daily 30-35 for many days at a stretch does help. I've been doing 10-15 daily on normal cycles for ages before I started doing long rides, and when i started , yes I struggled initially after 100km but nothing permanent. The days after the ride I could still ride

Chiddu

Dipankar Paul

Nov 12, 2010, 4:25:20 AM11/12/10
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Sudhir P, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
150 has been the tripping point for me. Once i crossed that, no distance has been too far.

For any long distance ride practice, one needs to be in shape by doing abt 20-30 kms on weekdays and on weekends, 100 - 130 kms. After a couple of months of practice, the body starts responding and the 100+ rides are no more a ride after which you are "wasted". So time to push the bar and go higher and enjoy places more further off. :)

Cheers!!!!

Dipankar
9980265230
Visit my blog at http://MyCrazyRides.blogspot.com/

Shankar Shastry

Nov 12, 2010, 4:42:24 AM11/12/10
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Dipankar Paul, Sudhir P, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Almost newbie question. If say i'm doing around 35km per day and doing 100-120 on weekends how many weeks before i can do a 200km saturday + 35km per weekday rides? I'l be dead tired on sunday after a 200 saturday i'm sure :p. More importantly, should there be a scheduled rest day per week or month or somethin? Or should the rest day be only based on gut (or say butt) feeling? I know there's no one size fits all response, just want to know if no rest is better than one rest day per week.

Regards,
Shankar
Sent from my Nokia N85

Shankar Shastry

Nov 12, 2010, 4:46:03 AM11/12/10
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Dipankar Paul, shan...@gmail.com, Sudhir P, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Forgot to add- I have done atleast 4-5 centuries and all in 2010. Daily rides have been very haphazard and never more than 20km at a stretch before last sunday. Sorry if I hijacked the thread op.

Chidambaran Subramanian

Nov 12, 2010, 5:02:40 AM11/12/10
to shan...@gmail.com, Dipankar Paul, Sudhir P, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
For the folks among us who use a bike exclusively, a 'rest' period doesn't exist, since we use it for getting around. That said, the only time I ride intensely is when I do it for a workout in the morning or on long rides.

I suspect your body gets used to biking sooner than you realize and you don't really need rest periods ( as in zero biking). You could do relaxed riding I think

Dipankar Paul

Nov 12, 2010, 5:50:16 AM11/12/10
to Chidambaran Subramanian, shankarbn, Sudhir P, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Exactly. A rest day after biking long distance is to go for a short distance slow and casual ride. Its also termed as a recovery ride. But as Chiddu mentioned, for me too, biking is the only way of commute. So I end up going everywhere biking every single day.

And once you get used to 100+ rides and don't feel tired, even after a 200 + ride, you will end up having lots of energy left to go another 100 the next day :-) Stamina is a gradual process but anyone can go All-Out like Akshay and still cover the distances, but end results are harmful for body and u end up getting total wasted ;-)

Cheers!!!!

Dipankar
9980265230
Visit my blog at http://MyCrazyRides.blogspot.com/

Shankar Shastry

Nov 12, 2010, 5:55:37 AM11/12/10
to Chidambaran Subramanian, Dipankar Paul, Sudhir P, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
So no rest, recovery ride is the better option of the two.

Sudhir P

Nov 12, 2010, 5:58:54 AM11/12/10
to Dipankar Paul, Chidambaran Subramanian, shankarbn, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Same here.... I ride my bike everywhere around town..... Most of the time, its relaxed riding.... But every once in a while, i crank it up and make it a training ride

summary: rest=slow biking :)

Dipankar Paul

Nov 12, 2010, 10:52:53 AM11/12/10
to Sudhir P, Chidambaran Subramanian, shankarbn, Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Yupp. Rest = Recovery ride.

Total rest in bed and no biking will actually negate out the advantages of the practice / workout rides.

Cheers!!!!

Dipankar
9980265230
Visit my blog at http://MyCrazyRides.blogspot.com/

htedum

Nov 12, 2010, 11:06:12 AM11/12/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I don't know if someone's mentioned this and I missed it, but cross-
training also helps -- running, swimming, even weights, along with
riding will increase your overall endurance and strength.

saravanan

Nov 13, 2010, 1:02:55 PM11/13/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
To be on a saddle for 10hrs or more so requires a good amount of over
all fitness. That too on a MTB with a platform pedal is a bit of push-
your-limits. In nutshell one needs to have a reasonably strong core
and the cycling muscles adapted to take on that stress. In my
experience it doesn't need to be just riding the bike. You are already
in the 100k league. If you have inclination to slip in some workout
sessions in between riding, it will help you to reach your goal way
too fast...

On Nov 12, 3:50 pm, Dipankar Paul <pauldipankar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly. A rest day after biking long distance is to go for a short distance
> slow and casual ride. Its also termed as a recovery ride. But as Chiddu
> mentioned, for me too, biking is the only way of commute. So I end up going
> everywhere biking every single day.
>
> And once you get used to 100+ rides and don't feel tired, even after a 200 +
> ride, you will end up having lots of energy left to go another 100 the next
> day :-) Stamina is a gradual process but anyone can go All-Out like Akshay
> and still cover the distances, but end results are harmful for body and u
> end up getting total wasted ;-)
>
> Cheers!!!!
>
> Dipankar
> 9980265230
> Visit my blog athttp://MyCrazyRides.blogspot.com/
>
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Chidambaran Subramanian
> <chi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > For the folks among us who use a bike exclusively, a 'rest' period doesn't
> > exist, since we use it for getting around. That said, the only time I ride
> > intensely is when I do it for a workout in the morning or on long rides.
>
> > I suspect your body gets used to biking sooner than you realize and you
> > don't really need rest periods ( as in zero biking). You could do relaxed
> > riding I think
>
> >> Visit my blog athttp://MyCrazyRides.blogspot.com/

> >> when
> >> The

> >> point.....
> >> ready

Pydah

Nov 14, 2010, 6:49:58 AM11/14/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Would interspersed training with sports such as badminton help?
I was hoping that the badminton would help tone up the core muscles,
but its only a noob's guess at the moment.
Any informed opinions on this?

On Nov 13, 11:02 pm, saravanan <saravanan.manickanai...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]

justin joseph

Nov 14, 2010, 11:14:14 AM11/14/10
to Pydah, Bangalore Bikers Club
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Pydah <vinay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would interspersed training with sports such as badminton help?
> I was hoping that the badminton would help tone up the core muscles,
> but its only a noob's guess at the moment.
> Any informed opinions on this?

I play batminton on most week ends, and think its a risky game. Very
often people
in our apartment get injured and go out of action for months. Some
with fractures.
I have noticed that most of the injured folks don't do any kind of
cross training.

IMHO the best way to strengthen core muscles is by strength
training... dead lifts,
good mornings, squats.

Akshay Prabhu

Nov 15, 2010, 1:47:35 AM11/15/10
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Total rest in bed and no biking will actually negate out the
advantages of
the practice / workout rides.

+100 to ^^

I was almost off riding for a month as bike was in Goa. Now started
training again and can see huge drop in performance levels. average
speed on roadbike=same as i averaged on my hybrid :( :(. Gradual
buildup awaits now.

BulldogUltraBOB

Nov 17, 2010, 6:59:45 AM11/17/10
to Akshay Prabhu, Bangalore Bikers Club
there is something called specificity of training- which means to become a better cyclist/runner/swimmer etc..you need to practice the same sport in which you are...however cross-training wherein you practice your main sportI(say cycling) but also intersperse it with other sports(say running/swimming/badminton) on a weekly basis is desirable to alleviate risks of overuse injuries..strength training is important for all sports..
Sriram