Info required: Geminid meteor shower

Vinod Raghavan

Dec 12, 2009, 3:33:37 AM12/12/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

What is the best time for viewing Geminid meteor shower in Bangalore? As per the information in the net, shower peaks on Dec 13th and 14th this year. Some sites suggest 9pm to midnight, while some say the best time is pre-dawn.

Regards,
Vinod

Rakesh Nath

Dec 12, 2009, 11:57:29 PM12/12/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi
has been unredemably cloudy yesterday and seems so today too, lets hope we have some good weather

News - http://www.bas.org.in/
Events - http://www.bas.org.in/Home/events_calendar
24X7 Chat on IRC - http://www.bas.org.in/Home/irc (#b-a-s on freenode)

--
Regards
       Rakesh Nath

Narendra Gor

Dec 13, 2009, 1:19:39 AM12/13/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
We will watch from 11.00 pm to 01.00 Am to day

Narendra Gor
KAAC
Narendra Gor
Kutch Amateur Astronomers Club
Bhuj
Contact No +919428220472
http://kutchastronomy.blogspot.com
http://gujaratastronomy.blogspot.com/
starpeace ambassador

keerthi kiran

Dec 13, 2009, 10:56:58 PM12/13/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I saw about 15 meteoroids from 00:00 to 01:00.
4 were from the direction of Gemini. Others were from Taurus, Auriga, Orion, Canis major.

Regards,
Keerthi.

sarath prabhav

Dec 13, 2009, 11:13:43 PM12/13/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I saw abt 51 meteoroids from 4:37 to 5:30.
it was an amazing experience
I was watching from
Lat:::  9.091622026196495
long::  76.68610721826553

Rakesh Nath

Dec 14, 2009, 12:23:21 PM12/14/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Spending some solitary hours does have its gains :-/i watched a
beautiful fireball streak the red sky and disintegrate i could resolve
the fragments amazing sight

Prakhar Misra

Dec 14, 2009, 1:05:30 PM12/14/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
I could see some of them too.splendid sight indeed!...
with lv and much respect,
Prakhar  :)

ravi babu

Dec 15, 2009, 1:42:38 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I saw 11 shooting stars last night over a period of one and a half hours.
From 11:30 pm to 1 am..
It was really awesome..
Cool feeling to have observed a celestial event!!

Best Regards

Ravi Babu S

Saandip.N.G

Dec 15, 2009, 2:25:13 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com

Hi All.

It was really splendid..

I saw around 7 showers yesterday night.

I observed first one (to my knowledge) was at 11:25PM, second was 11:45, third was 12:00 night & next was at 12:10 & 12:15.

It was strange that it was in equal reducing time of 20mins,15mins,10min 5mins of gap between showers.

The one which passed thorough Orion towards south was the brightest.

Regards

Saandip.N.G

Amar Sharma

Dec 15, 2009, 3:07:37 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday Akarsh and Me had been to a private observing session, with his 17.5" to a dark site (quite sneakingly :D) We returned, slept today for couple hours and are leaving once again for observing in sometime.

Even though the agenda was deep sky for both of us, Akarsh managed to get a few streakers looking up, details of which he will post. I was on the other hand more focussed not looking up even when granted a session ON the day of Geminids, but straight through the eyepiece at those faint fuzzies.

In summary what I can say is, the Geminids from our end were disappointing. Two exciting observing reports coming up tomorrow.

Rakesh Nath

Dec 15, 2009, 3:50:43 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes looking forward to your report what did you see yest though?
> --
>
> News - http://www.bas.org.in/
> Events - http://www.bas.org.in/Home/events_calendar
> 24X7 Chat on IRC - http://www.bas.org.in/Home/irc (#b-a-s on freenode)

Akarsh Simha

Dec 15, 2009, 5:31:06 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 09:20:43AM +0030, Rakesh Nath wrote:
> Ah yes looking forward to your report what did you see yest though?

I wasn't observing the Geminids very seriously either. I saw some 17
odd meteors in an effective period of 1.5 hours. Some nice streakers
and semi-fireballs. Nothing very exciting though.

Off topic stuff, since Rakesh asked for it:

Highlights of the night: We were seeing random galaxies wherever we
pointed the scope. Nothing interesting. I saw a very good M 51 with
spiral arms, but Amar opines that the 12" at Yelagiri was better, and
I agree. We saw a lot of galaxies. We saw mottled structure in NGC
7739. Nothing really picturesque, though. Skies weren't very dark.

Well, I didn't post this here, but Naveen and I saw Horsehead Nebula
last Friday night, but it wasn't very impressive.

Regards
Akarsh

Suresh Randadath

Dec 15, 2009, 5:36:54 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Reading about all your expereinces on watching the shower has been exciting. Could you please let me know which direction of the sky one should be looking to watch the shower?

Thanks
Suresh

Dec 15, 2009, 9:13:51 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com

Near Orion ( Three stars in single line slanting).

If you an starter check this link below.

http://www.quietbay.net/Science/astronomy/nightsky/

Prakhar Misra

Dec 15, 2009, 9:51:50 AM12/15/09
to b-...@googlegroups.com
@ AKARSH sir ,
since u people saw galaxies and nebulae,it seems tht the telescope u had was a very powerfull one. more info please regarding the deals and the different types of telescopes availaible and the best buy etc. and how do u know in which direction would a particular nebula or a galaxy be?? ....