The end of Autopackage

Jan Niklas Hasse

Nov 3, 2010, 7:09:41 PM11/3/10
to autopackage
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I have to tell you that Autopackage is now officially
dead. I changed the front page: http://autopackage.org/

But to not let all those work be wasted I'll try to merge most stuff
(e.g. Apbuild) into the Listaller project. Matthias Klumpp already
announced this on launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/listaller/+announcement/6593
He is a really nice guy and puts lots of effort into improving
Listaller and I'm impressed of what he has done already. But as always
help is appreciated, so if you want to contribute - be it code, ideas
or feedback - get in contact: http://groups.google.com/group/listaller

Autopackage was the first open source project I contributed a lot of
code to and the first one I really worked on. The time I spend hacking
on Autopackage was fun - otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I learned
a lot of things and I really really want to thank everyone who was
involved somehow in Autopackage - thanks!

So long,
Jan

Taj Morton

Nov 3, 2010, 7:23:55 PM11/3/10
to autop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,
Can we keep the Autopackage website active/archived, at least? There's a lot of good information on there about binary incompatibility, what the issues are, how to work around them etc. Additionally, someone may want to install an Autopackage someday and need instructions. Let's leave it available.

Thanks!
- Taj

Jan Niklas Hasse

Nov 4, 2010, 4:10:51 AM11/4/10
to autop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Taj,
I've created a link to the installation howto of the old website now.
The Developers and Community sections are still available, didn't
delete anything ;)

Matthias Klumpp

Nov 5, 2010, 12:47:29 PM11/5/10
to autop...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!
I am the project founder of Listaller, which is the project a lot of the
AP code went into. In fact, Listaller was already supporting Autopackage
packages through an abstraction layer before.

> But to not let all those work be wasted I'll try to merge most stuff
> (e.g. Apbuild) into the Listaller project. Matthias Klumpp already
> announced this on launchpad:
> https://launchpad.net/listaller/+announcement/6593
> He is a really nice guy and puts lots of effort into improving
> Listaller and I'm impressed of what he has done already. But as always
> help is appreciated, so if you want to contribute - be it code, ideas
> or feedback - get in contact: http://groups.google.com/group/listaller

Thanks for the nice works Jan! The Listaller project is undergoing a lot
of major changes at time.
For example PackageKit will support Listaller soon, which makes all
frontends display applications installed with Listaller or one of the other
installation methods it supports (LOKi, Mojo, Autopackage, ZI, Native Pkg).
Also, I am rewriting parts of the IPK specs (the Listaller setup format)
to make it possible for use to use ZeroInstall feeds as dependecies.
The Autopackage tools will also need to be better integrated, rewriting
the liCreator package creation GUI in C++/Qt is also planned.
So you see, there are many plans and there's a lot of work to do - but
with AP and the PAPPi software store concept inside, this will really rock!

> Autopackage was the first open source project I contributed a lot of
> code to and the first one I really worked on. The time I spend hacking
> on Autopackage was fun - otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I learned
> a lot of things and I really really want to thank everyone who was
> involved somehow in Autopackage - thanks!

I want to thanks you again for this difficult step in merging the two
projects. In fact, I got a lot of inspiration from AP.
Thanks!
Matthias Klumpp