Traffic light road sensors Vic

1 view

Dr Evil

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Is anyone else get pissed of at this? Take yesterday for example, 40 stinkin
degrees and I pull up to a set of lights and proceed to wait for an
eternity. Traffic is very light and there I am, sweating my bullocks off and
it seem, bike starting to seriously overheat, and rider bike combo isn't
bloody heavy enough to set off the bloody trip wires. This happened twice in
the one trip. The second road was designed for semitrailers, and there was
no way I was going to set that bastard off. The inevitable happened and I
had what I deemed to be little choice and ran the red light.

Anyone else pissed off by this?
Well that's my rant anyway.

Greg Clarke

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
in NSW the sensors are set-off by metal and not by pressure. So if the road
surface has been recovered several times the sensors may be out of adjustment
for your (relatively) small bike.

running the red is one thing, but I have heard of riders being busted for
dismounting to push the pedestrian walk button

greg

Paul O'Driscoll

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Unless things are done differently in Vic these things are (to the best
of my knowledge)not triggered by weight but by EMF (apparently they act
like a metal detector planted in the tarmac) - the trick in my
experience is to stop the bike over the visible lines in the tar where
they have planted the wires.

Cheers,
Paul O
'98 GSX250F (Across)

Posted At: Friday, 4 February 2000 10:49 AM
Posted To: motorcycles
Conversation: Traffic light road sensors Vic
Subject: Traffic light road sensors Vic

Is anyone else get pissed of at this? Take yesterday for example, 40
stinkin
degrees and I pull up to a set of lights and proceed to wait for an
eternity. Traffic is very light and there I am, sweating my bullocks off
and
it seem, bike starting to seriously overheat, and rider bike combo isn't
bloody heavy enough to set off the bloody trip wires.

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Swirlball

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Well do something about it.

Call Vicroads and report the intersection. Off the top of my head try 03 9854
2899 Which is the road condition reporting line. As others have said the sensor
works on magnetic fields, which is strongest in the middle of the sensor which
on motorycle means where all the oil slicks and crap sit in the lane. Bikes
have problems due to the extent of alloy and plastic.

If we dont report them, it only effects us , bike riders as the tin tops never
have problems due to the mass of metal they lug around with them.

Cheers,

Garry
ZX6R

Shawn Foo

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Paul O'Driscoll wrote in message ...

>Unless things are done differently in Vic these things are (to the best
>of my knowledge)not triggered by weight but by EMF (apparently they act
>like a metal detector planted in the tarmac) - the trick in my
>experience is to stop the bike over the visible lines in the tar where
>they have planted the wires.

yep.. and if that doesn't work, something simple like lowering your
centrestand usually does.

What? you don't have a centrestand? HA! :-)

Shawn Foo
GPX-250 (Anon) -> Suzuki Bandit 600 (Foolan)

John McClumpha

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
<SNIP story about damn sensors not working!>

>Anyone else pissed off by this?
>Well that's my rant anyway.

yep - I can relate - but I also know that if you contact vicroads and
give them the details of the whereabouts of these dodgy sensors they
will tweak them so that they will work :)

just call them or send them a letter - it all helps :)

--
John McClumpha
1994 Suzuki Katana 250cc

philip...@nwhcn.org.au

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
On 04 Feb 2000 02:19:42 GMT, swir...@aol.com (Swirlball) wrote:

I have the same problem with the corner of Alma Rd and Kooyong Rd in
Caulfield.. damn thing won't go off til a car comes along..

Anyways.. I called that number you posted and they said to call
131170. The road condition ppls only deal with road 'surface'
conditions.. oils and accident mess I suppose.

Nevertheless, I called that no. and they're gonna get it fixed for me
:)

Cheers,

Phil

Dale Porter

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Vicroads have said in the past they would like to hear of any intersections
that don't respond to a bike's presence. Near all sets of lights, there's a
controller box. It will have a sign on the side giving a number to call, and
a reference number for that particular set of lights. Give them a buzz and
they will fix the problem (which is usually that the "detectors" aren't set
up sensitive enough to detect a m/bike)

--
Dale Porter (1992 CBR600 F2)
IRC Nick: _Panther_

Dr Evil <unic...@planet.net.au> wrote in message

> Is anyone else get pissed of at this? Take yesterday for example, 40
stinkin
> degrees and I pull up to a set of lights and proceed to wait for an
> eternity. Traffic is very light and there I am, sweating my bullocks off
and
> it seem, bike starting to seriously overheat, and rider bike combo isn't

> bloody heavy enough to set off the bloody trip wires. This happened twice
in
> the one trip. The second road was designed for semitrailers, and there was
> no way I was going to set that bastard off. The inevitable happened and I
> had what I deemed to be little choice and ran the red light.

Johno

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
Shawn Foo said something........

> What? you don't have a centrestand? HA! :-)
>
> Shawn Foo
> GPX-250 (Anon) -> Suzuki Bandit 600 (Foolan)

Shawn,
You saying that you still have your centre-stand? Thought it would have
vibrated off by now!!
can't trust them mixmasters!

cheers
John

Jeanette Niekamp IRC Cat

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
HA!
<rolls off chair laughing>

I like your advice dale, especially after i was the one to pt
that out to you!! He was whinging to me about a set of lights
near our house and i just happened to spot the sign on the
controller box with reference number and Phone number!!

*good thing i am in tassie so i can't be hit!*

Cheers
Jeanette Niekamp
IRC Cat

Craig

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:33:08 +1100 , Paul O'Driscoll
<Pa...@cppl.com.au> wrote:

>Unless things are done differently in Vic these things are (to the best
>of my knowledge)not triggered by weight but by EMF (apparently they act
>like a metal detector planted in the tarmac) - the trick in my
>experience is to stop the bike over the visible lines in the tar where
>they have planted the wires.

I think it's caused by a metal object moving over the wires. That
induces a current in the wires which is detected by the signal box.
That's why they tell you to sweep a metal detector over the ground.

This happened to me the other day. I was over the wires but they
didn't "see" me, so I rolled the bike over them a few times and got a
green. Don't know why it didn't "see" me the first time, maybe I
crossed at a time when it was resetting.

Do they really use pressure pads in Vic? I thought that was an urban
myth. If they were covered with ashphelt, wouldn't it crack and break
up?

CyberRider

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Many years ago, in a city far, far away from the Sydney rat-race (Adelaide)
they used to have thick raised rubber strips across the road, leading to the
traffic lights.

During the day, the lights were on a programmed cycle, but late at night (ie
after 2100), the rubber strips were the devices that activated the lights.

They even worked if you were on a pushie.

The great thing was that they were back far enough from the intersection
that if you rolled over them at whilst decelerating for the red light, by
the time you were at the intersection, the lights had changed green.
This meant (esp. for the pushies), that you didn't actually have to stop.

The road that I remember using them was the intersection of O'Connell Street
/ Main North Road / Prospect Road / Barton Tce West in North Adelaide.

They don't use them anymore, they've put sensors in the floor, and there are
times even on my cruiser that they don't pick up on my presence.

Guess I need to have more iron in my diet.

Cheers,
Scott

--
CyberRider (aka Scott Marshall)
http://cyberrider.homepage.com

Craig <ugg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:33:08 +1100 , Paul O'Driscoll

:

Craig

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 10:20:06 +1030, "CyberRider" <esmarsha!!@email.com>
wrote:

>The great thing was that they were back far enough from the intersection
>that if you rolled over them at whilst decelerating for the red light, by
>the time you were at the intersection, the lights had changed green.
>This meant (esp. for the pushies), that you didn't actually have to stop.

I wonder if anyone has "hacked" that signal used by emergency services
to change the lights in their favour....or is that another urban myth?

Craig
GPX250

Bradley Smith

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Myth: If such a thing was possible then why don't they change 'em? I have
seen so many run reds it's not funny and then why do the police flash their
lights and 'illegally' runa red light? If they had em why would they
bother..?

Nathan Smith
L2-100 -> RGV250

Craig <ugg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Bradley Smith

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Isn't EMF similar to current? i.e. they both use the fact that a one metal
object moving over another induces a current in the wire thus allowing the
traffic light to sense there is a car/bike etc there and then can change the
light rather than the cumbersome weight sensor, which would require a higher
level of maintainance due to moving parts?
Hmmmmmm....... Maybe we designed a flexable type of ashvault that allows
this to happen... :) So then cornering on a bike would be real interesting
with the gound moving under ya.......

Nathan

Dale Porter

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Sheesh!!! Give away all my secrets why doncha?? :-/

--
Dale Porter (1992 CBR600 F2)
IRC Nick: _Panther_

Jeanette Niekamp IRC Cat <ettenaej...@white-star.com.invalid> wrote in
message news:0124821c...@usw-ex0104-032.remarq.com...

CyberRider

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Not myth per sé.

In Adelaide, the MFS (Metropolitan Fire Service) in Wakefield Street has an
override which allows them to lock the lights on green for the most direct
route (within the CBD bounded by North/East/South/West Terraces) to the
fire.

After that, well, they run the red like any other emergency vehicle.

How do I know this? Because I was at an intersection where the signals had
literally just turned to green when the sirens at Wakefield Street MFS
started, and the lights changed straight away back to red, to allow the now
emerging appliances free passage on the green.

You can usually tell those sort of lights because some of them will have a
little aerial sticking up from the signal pole.

Cheers,
Scott

Bradley Smith <gian...@ains.net.au> wrote in message
: Myth: If such a thing was possible then why don't they change 'em? I have

: seen so many run reds it's not funny and then why do the police flash
their
: lights and 'illegally' runa red light? If they had em why would they
: bother..?
:
: Nathan Smith
: L2-100 -> RGV250

:
: Craig <ugg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: news:389b98e...@news.alphalink.com.au...

: >
:
:

Alan Pennykid

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Not a myth totally, the traffic lights have to be fitted
with a receiver. The lights near the Ambo station in
Penrith have an aerial and the lights do change in their
favour when they need to get out in a hurry. Wont work at
every intersection though obviously.

Al

david s-a

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00

> Isn't EMF similar to current? i.e. they both use the fact that a one metal
> object moving over another induces a current in the wire thus allowing the
> traffic light to sense there is a car/bike etc there and then can change
the
> light rather than the cumbersome weight sensor, which would require a
higher
> level of maintainance due to moving parts?

The vehicle or bike does not have to be moving to trigger the sensors...it
just has to be in the immediate vicinity to disturb the field. A problem
with modern bikes is that they are dominated by fibreglass and aluminium
construction which do not disturb the electromagnetic field sufficiently.

david

Jordan

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
A solution to this could be to weld large pieces of heavy steel to the
bottom of the frame. This should have a beneficial effect on stability
also.

Paul O'Driscoll wrote:

> Unless things are done differently in Vic these things are (to the best
> of my knowledge)not triggered by weight but by EMF (apparently they act
> like a metal detector planted in the tarmac) - the trick in my
> experience is to stop the bike over the visible lines in the tar where
> they have planted the wires.
>

> Cheers,
> Paul O
> '98 GSX250F (Across)

Dale Porter

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
The intersection directly in front of the Frankston CFA can be over-ridden
by the depot. A number of times I've seen all lights red for a while to
allow a few trucks or ambulances make a quick exit. Bloody good idea too.

--
Dale Porter (1992 CBR600 F2)
IRC Nick: _Panther_

CyberRider <esmarsha!!@email.com> wrote in message

> Not myth per sé.
>
> In Adelaide, the MFS (Metropolitan Fire Service) in Wakefield Street has
an
> override which allows them to lock the lights on green for the most direct
> route (within the CBD bounded by North/East/South/West Terraces) to the
> fire.
>
> After that, well, they run the red like any other emergency vehicle.
>
> How do I know this? Because I was at an intersection where the signals
had
> literally just turned to green when the sirens at Wakefield Street MFS
> started, and the lights changed straight away back to red, to allow the
now
> emerging appliances free passage on the green.
>
> You can usually tell those sort of lights because some of them will have a
> little aerial sticking up from the signal pole.
>
> Cheers,
> Scott
>

> Bradley Smith <gian...@ains.net.au> wrote in message

> : >
> :
> :

Craig

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 18:48:22 +1100, "Alan Pennykid"
<penn...@zip.com.au> wrote:

>Not a myth totally, the traffic lights have to be fitted
>with a receiver. The lights near the Ambo station in
>Penrith have an aerial and the lights do change in their
>favour when they need to get out in a hurry. Wont work at
>every intersection though obviously.

Yep. I've seen that aerial at a few major intersections. Are they
controlled from the station, or the vehicle? If they control them from
the vehicle, can they make them change any direction. If so, how? Do
they key in a compass direction, or use radio triangulation?

hmmm....the bikers in blue are being very quiet on this one ;-)

Craig
GPX250

Craig

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 19:13:13 +1100, "david s-a" <d...@bluep.com> wrote:

>"Bradley Smith" <gian...@ains.net.au> wrote in message

Yeah, I got it mixed up. You need a moving magnet to induce a current
in a coil of wire, not a metal object.

Just to prove you can find anything on the internet....

"The traffic sensors are just coils of wire laid in the pavement. A
coil of wire is an inductor (just like your ignition coil). Run a
constant current through the wire inductor and a magnetic field is
generated. When a metal object (like an engine block or car frame)
passes over the coil, the self-inductance of the coil changes. This
affects the magnetic field which, in turn, generates a pulse in the
wire. Circuitry in that big shiny box in the side of the road senses
the pulse and activates a timer to change the lights."

ummm....and this! ;-)
http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-19872/files/phreak/chrome.box

Craig
GPX250

Jordan

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Trouble is, if they're adjusted to detect a relatively small thing like
a motorbike, they would likely be too sensitive, and will respond to
things like trucks in other lanes.
I think the sequence of events can happen like this:
Run the lights? Get a fine.
Write a letter explaining? Get a letter back saying pay the fine.
Take the matter to court? Let them hear you out - a magistrate is very
likely to agree you were acting within reason, and cancel the fine.

Gerry

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
Jordan <jor...@zip.com.au> wrote:

yeah, could even double as a sump guard too. Ground
clearance might be the critical factor though.

>A solution to this could be to weld large pieces of heavy steel to the
>bottom of the frame. This should have a beneficial effect on stability
>also.
>
>Paul O'Driscoll wrote:
>>
>> Unless things are done differently in Vic these things are (to the best
>> of my knowledge)not triggered by weight but by EMF (apparently they act
>> like a metal detector planted in the tarmac) - the trick in my
>> experience is to stop the bike over the visible lines in the tar where
>> they have planted the wires.

Gerry

If you get upset with opinions expressed by me
and you feel that _your_ upset is _my_ problem,
please do yourself a favour and skip my messages.
'94 R80
e-mail: remove 'deadspam' & replace with 'gbinder'

Martin Taylor

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Swirlball said..

Sw> Call Vicroads and report the intersection. Off the top of my head try
Sw> 03 9854 2899 Which is the road condition reporting line. As others have

There's a box near the lights with a tollfree number on it. That's the
one to call.

I haven't had this problem. It seems that they've lifted their game, at
least where I live.

.. The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
MJT

Take a "p" out of gipps for an email reply

Gippsland, Victoria, Australia

Theo Bekkers

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00

Jordan <jor...@zip.com.au> wrote

> Trouble is, if they're adjusted to detect a relatively small thing like
> a motorbike, they would likely be too sensitive, and will respond to
> things like trucks in other lanes.
> I think the sequence of events can happen like this:
> Run the lights? Get a fine.
> Write a letter explaining? Get a letter back saying pay the fine.
> Take the matter to court? Let them hear you out - a magistrate is very
> likely to agree you were acting within reason, and cancel the fine.

If it is on your regular route, complain first. I have found it quite easy
to get a fine cancelled if a previous complaint is on record.

In Perth, the traffic signal people will come out and fix the signals if
your pushy doesn't activate the lights. And be damn courteous about it too.

Cheers

Theo

Adrian Hodgson

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> In Perth, the traffic signal people will come out and fix the signals if
> your pushy doesn't activate the lights. And be damn courteous about it too.
>
> Cheers
>
> Theo

I knew that there had to be *one* reason to want to live in Perth :)

<ducks, covers self in gravel and dons sign saying "Target Fixation -
Next 2km.">

Regards,
Adrian

:)

Shawn Foo

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Johno wrote in message <01bf6efe$4c0f8fa0$9e1909d2@varcs>...

hehe.. The centrestand adds more mass which
helps to dampen out vibrations.. ;)

Shawn Foo

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Craig wrote in message <389c3c43...@news.alphalink.com.au>...

yeah, the key point being that when a metal object PASSES over
the coil.... [it] generated a PULSE.
So, if the metal object was stationary, it wouldn't generate
a pulse and it wouldn't trigger the sensors..

The fact that the metal object has to move to get to where it
is before being stationary is besides the point.... :-)

Shaw Goh

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Not a myth. In Perth, the CAT busses have a transmitter which sends a
signal to the lights in the CBD to turn 'em green (quicker - not
immediately). So, follow 'em ugly CATs when in Perth traffic

--
MY TOYS...
'96 Virago 250

Clem Doherty

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
What if you took the disk off the bottom of a metal-detector and wired it up
to a switch on the bar?...
(How about carrying a cattle-prod and just giving the sensor-loop a zap?)
ooh ooh I know;... Wear really clingy bri-nylon shirts under a dri-rider
nylon jacket and just "static" zap em?
See; when we work together we can solve anything.
Clem
(feeling warm all over)
Jordan <jor...@zip.com.au> wrote in message

Bradley Smith

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
Hehehe.. Good one Clem....

Nathan

Clem Doherty <clemd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

CyberRider

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00

Clem Doherty <clemd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<mini-snip>

: ooh ooh I know;... Wear really clingy bri-nylon shirts under a dri-rider

: nylon jacket and just "static" zap em?

What? And end up looking like a push-bike rider?

Cheers,
Scott

Graham Wolstenholme

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
The most sensitive parts of the electromagnetic loop are the corners.
I push my centre stand down with my foot and drag it over the corner of
the sensor, this usually works.

Dr Evil (unic...@planet.net.au) wrote:
: Is anyone else get pissed of at this? Take yesterday for example, 40 stinkin

: degrees and I pull up to a set of lights and proceed to wait for an
: eternity. Traffic is very light and there I am, sweating my bullocks off and
: it seem, bike starting to seriously overheat, and rider bike combo isn't

: bloody heavy enough to set off the bloody trip wires. This happened twice in
: the one trip. The second road was designed for semitrailers, and there was
: no way I was going to set that bastard off. The inevitable happened and I
: had what I deemed to be little choice and ran the red light.

: Anyone else pissed off by this?
: Well that's my rant anyway.

--
"As the radius of knowledge increases.....

So too does the circumference of ignorance"

Judanne Simpson

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
The latest MRA newsletter has an article about this in it. Check it out.
For those that suggested welding a plate to the bottom of the bike: sounds
a bit drastic. Would attaching a large magnet do the same job? I mean,
not huge, but maybe something about 4cm in diameter or similar.

--
Judanne

Live each day as though it were your last. One day you're sure to be
right! - Breaker Morant

Want your own 15 meg website & a home based business?
Go to: www.skynary.com/tommay/go or www.skynary.com/tommay

Graham Wolstenholme <zebedee@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE> wrote in
message news:38a1...@news.alphalink.com.au...