Noisy Bikes (Update)

RussellM

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Some of you may remember me asking about my noisy Cagiva Exhaust a month or
so back and where I stand If I get booked...

Well what came in the mail yesterday? 'report has been lodged by a member of
the Vic police force.... vehicle considered excessively noisy....'

Yes the EPA has taken it upon themselves to tell me the bike (which I've
sold anyway) is unroadworthy (like bollox it is)
So begins the battle..

(just a note the exhaust has NOT been modified, and is NOT faulty it is the
factory exhaust..)

--
RussellM

98 Suzuki RGV
96 Ducati Monster 600

Joanne Keune

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Your pipe may be factory, but that doesn't mean that your bike isn't too
loud. Don't get me wrong, I love loud bikes, but from a legal point of view
I reckon that if sir plod says it's too loud then it probably is. I assume
that this is a Mito? How many months since the muffler had been repacked? Or
should I say years?

RussellM wrote in message <91635264...@dns4.beam.com.au>...

>Some of you may remember me asking about my noisy Cagiva Exhaust a month or
>so back and where I stand If I get booked...
>
>Well what came in the mail yesterday? 'report has been lodged by a member
of
>the Vic police force.... vehicle considered excessively noisy....'

snip.

Garry Lawson

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99

RussellM <russ...@beam.com.au> wrote in article

<91635264...@dns4.beam.com.au>...
> Some of you may remember me asking about my noisy Cagiva Exhaust a month
or
> so back and where I stand If I get booked...
>
> Well what came in the mail yesterday? 'report has been lodged by a member
of
> the Vic police force.... vehicle considered excessively noisy....'
>

> Yes the EPA has taken it upon themselves to tell me the bike (which I've
> sold anyway) is unroadworthy (like bollox it is)
> So begins the battle..
>
> (just a note the exhaust has NOT been modified, and is NOT faulty it is
the
> factory exhaust..)

Hi Russel, as long it is the original exhaust and meets the Oz Standard for
noise emission you are safe.
Their should be a sticker on the exhaust that says it's Db level and it
meets the Oz standards.
If not then goto to an EPA branch and get them to test it for you, and get
a report from them too, so it is all legal.
If it is too noisey, then you will have too get an after market muffler
that meets the standard.
Yes, if the exhaust is to noisey they can slap a yellow canary on it, but
the who cares you got rid of it.
Take care.
Garry.>

RussellM

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

>Hi Russel, as long it is the original exhaust and meets the Oz Standard for
>noise emission you are safe.
>Their should be a sticker on the exhaust that says it's Db level and it
>meets the Oz standards.
>If not then goto to an EPA branch and get them to test it for you, and get
>a report from them too, so it is all legal.
>If it is too noisey, then you will have too get an after market muffler
>that meets the standard.
>Yes, if the exhaust is to noisey they can slap a yellow canary on it, but
>the who cares you got rid of it.
>Take care.
>Garry.>

This is what I don't understand though, If its been passed to be compliant
with australian design regulations, surely that means its road legal, the
EPA says the legal limit for M/C's is 89 dB for bike manufactred after 1985.
The new RGV i bought says 93Db at 5500 Rpm... so technically its not road
legal. (Its also a F*** load noisier when the powervalve open right up..)

Andrew Rowley

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
"RussellM" <russ...@beam.com.au> wrote:

>This is what I don't understand though, If its been passed to be compliant
>with australian design regulations, surely that means its road legal, the
>EPA says the legal limit for M/C's is 89 dB for bike manufactred after 1985.
>The new RGV i bought says 93Db at 5500 Rpm... so technically its not road
>legal. (Its also a F*** load noisier when the powervalve open right up..)

I think 94 dB is the limit for the stationary noise test. It all
depends how you measure it. I think the stationary noise test they rev
the shit out of it (1/2 max power revs) and stick the microphone
behind the exhaust pipe. I think there is a ride by test as well -
that may be the 89 dB.

---
Andrew Rowley
aro...@werple.net.au