Kill Bill

Harvey

Aug 23, 2004, 1:01:58 AM8/23/04
Hello all...

I recently saw the DVD of Kill Bill.... and was really taken aback.

I am interested to hear what people think about it...

Have a terrific day

Harvey

Fish!

Aug 23, 2004, 2:08:35 AM8/23/04
In article <4129...@news.highway1.com.au>, repo...@yahoo.com says...

The one with the red blood (ie not B&W) is better.

Morris Syzlak

Aug 23, 2004, 2:16:27 AM8/23/04

"Harvey" <repo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Total crapfest.

The only good thing is that i saw it for free while trialing an online dvd
service.

---

Mitch

Aug 23, 2004, 2:46:31 AM8/23/04
"Harvey" <repo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tarantino movies apply only to Tarantino fans, ie trendoids and 18yr olds.

Mitch

Ian Galbraith

Aug 23, 2004, 4:08:06 AM8/23/04
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:01:58 +0800, "Harvey" <repo...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hello all...

>I recently saw the DVD of Kill Bill.... and was really taken aback.

Why?

>I am interested to hear what people think about it...

2 great films. KB1 is an actionfest, KB2 is more dramatic.

Owen Ruck

Aug 23, 2004, 4:09:32 AM8/23/04
I love it.
Ive watched it many times.
I have a huge uma thurman cutout of her in that yellow leather suit in my
bed room.
and I have a pussy wagon keyring.
and I used a parts of it in my uni tutorial about the yakuza today.
i cant wait for the box sex.
SHIBBY!

"Mitch" <mi...@nomorespam.edu.au> wrote in message

Reptar

Aug 23, 2004, 6:02:18 AM8/23/04
I'm a 42 year old truck driver and I liked it!!
I am neither a trendoid or 18 (sigh)
Tarantino movies are for people who like to think independently, something
that you might have trouble with, as you seem very eager to categorize
people.
I for one found both movies very good, but then again I'm an 18 YO trendoid
apparently
Garry
--
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived." - Isaac Asimov

siliegrrl

Aug 23, 2004, 6:24:45 AM8/23/04

I'm not 18 or a trendoid either :(

I'm not a Tarintino fan either, I didn't like Pulp Fiction, thought
Jackie Brown was average and still haven't got around to seeing 'Til
Dusk Til Dawn. Having said that I really enjoyed both parts. I loved
the anime in Part1 and the way that the violence was done in a comedic
but typical samuri movie type way. Part 2 was brilliant from start to
finish and I enjoyed it a lot more than part 1.

--
siliegrrl
siliegrrl's Profile: http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?userid=8837

mindesign

Aug 23, 2004, 8:04:08 AM8/23/04
yup- 46 here and I don't even know what a trendoid is ......

loved both films ....

and FWIW in Pulp Fiction, The Ezekiel quote is an homage to Sonny Chiba's
1976 film Bodyguard

:)

"Ian Galbraith" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Mitch

Aug 23, 2004, 5:51:59 PM8/23/04
I liked From Dusk Till Dawn... once I realised what it was. Pulp Fiction
was saved by Bruce Willis.

My comment was intended not to insult but more to imply that Tarantino
movies are not for everybody..

Mitch

"siliegrrl" <siliegrr...@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

Mitch

Aug 23, 2004, 5:55:08 PM8/23/04
Please read my other post..

Fwiw, Tarantino movies are generally for ppl who require something
different for their movie watching experience.

Mitch

"Reptar" <garryozols at optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Reptar

Aug 24, 2004, 12:49:15 AM8/24/04
yeah saw that after I hit the sent button 'Doh
I'm not your average movie goer, I like all genres of movies, as long as
they are GOOD, If a blockbuster is crap, its crap, regardless of them
spending several billion dollars promoting it, and if an art movie is crap,
the same applies, I like Good movies, well made movies, Jackie Brown was a
bit slow for me, while Pulp Fiction had some very funny moments.
I guess it just all boils down to taste, Some friends of mine sat awe struck
through Kill Bill 1 and fidgeted and fiddled all through Kill Bill 2, I
loved them both, though for different reasons.
I suppose having spent 10 years as head projectionist at the local Cinema
has spoilt me a bit, My wife hates to send me to get movies, you never know
what I will return with, it might be Bruce Almighty or Sexy Beast hehehe
Garry

"Mitch" <mi...@nomorespam.edu.au> wrote in message

Mitch

Aug 24, 2004, 2:21:21 AM8/24/04
I'm surrounded by uni students and academia... they generally love the
Tarantino style of violent and or horrific movies with a tinge of
gratuity.

I've also long given up trying to a hire movie to please me and the
trouble and strife.;-)

Mitch

"Reptar" <garryozols at optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Martin Taylor

Aug 24, 2004, 1:08:00 PM8/24/04
Mitch said....

> Fwiw, Tarantino movies are generally for ppl who require something
> different for their movie watching experience.

Like me, perhaps?

I've seen and own all (except KB2) of the Tarantino movies, with
Reservoir Dogs probably being the best. I also own all the Star Trek
movies, Most of the Tom Clancy movies, Monty Python movies, Back to the
Future trilogy, and heaps of other various "classes" of movies and TV
series.

Movies are forms of art. There is no good or bad. It's all to do with
personal taste.

Mitch

Aug 24, 2004, 6:00:32 PM8/24/04
"Martin Taylor" <mjp...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

That's fine Martin.... my problem is with ppl who think Tarantino movies
are the best.

Mitch

V01TeK

Aug 24, 2004, 10:43:33 PM8/24/04

> That's fine Martin.... my problem is with ppl who think Tarantino movies
> are the best.

I have the same problem with people who single out popular directors and
rail against them for no other reason that said director doesn't appeal to
them.
--
"Be your own God"
Chris

Mitch

Aug 24, 2004, 10:47:11 PM8/24/04
"V01TeK" <voit...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Lol, sooner or later, that'd be everyone in aus.films.

Mitch

Martin Taylor

Aug 24, 2004, 11:51:19 PM8/24/04
Mitch said....

>> Movies are forms of art. There is no good or bad. It's all to do with
>> personal taste.

> That's fine Martin.... my problem is with ppl who think Tarantino movies
> are the best.

And to them, they are. Who are we to say that they're wrong? What you
may consider to be "the best" may, to others, be rubbish.

As an example, I can't stand Seinfeld. Others swear by it. I like Star
Trek. The missus would ban any video title with the word "star" in it,
if she could. Similarly, she likes Queer as Folk. I have no interest
whatsoever in the show. But we both love Reservoir Dogs, and Back to the
Future, two videos that are so stark in contrast that it makes black and
white merge into one.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mitch

Aug 25, 2004, 2:05:06 AM8/25/04

> Mitch said....
>
> >> Movies are forms of art. There is no good or bad. It's all to do with
> >> personal taste.
>
> > That's fine Martin.... my problem is with ppl who think Tarantino
movies
> > are the best.
>
> And to them, they are. Who are we to say that they're wrong? What you
> may consider to be "the best" may, to others, be rubbish.

Sure, and I like to hear their opinions on why they like them. But my
problem is when a movie with similar black comedy overtones, like 3000
Miles To Graceland, doesn't get the same accolades. It's just a problem I
have with ppl who like movies because it is cool to do so the quality of
the movie notwithstanding.

I think it's to do with the situation where the discussion over a movie is
part of the experience - such as the situation on why we still watch
Voyager on TV even though you and I may have seen it. Raising points and
agreeing or disagreeing can promote more thought. If someone likes a movie
more than another similar that I preferred - I'll always look for a reason
why. Tarantino direction will fall into the reasons why as they are of the
realm of intellectuals and, as previously stated, I'm surrounded by Uni
students and young academia so they're everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I
don't mind Tarantino flicks, but I doubt they'll be part of my DVD
collection.

> As an example, I can't stand Seinfeld. Others swear by it. I like Star
> Trek. The missus would ban any video title with the word "star" in it,
> if she could. Similarly, she likes Queer as Folk. I have no interest
> whatsoever in the show. But we both love Reservoir Dogs, and Back to the
> Future, two videos that are so stark in contrast that it makes black and
> white merge into one.

I've given up on buying movies or watching shows that will please both of
us - especially sci-fi which occupy the greater part of my 40 odd movies.
Typically, shows like Minority Report and the Time Machine is typically
where common preferences end as anything more space/horror orientated gets
left for me.

I'll try to hire for both of us, but the romantic comedy genre is very hit
and miss. The best of late was 50 First Dates which the boss liked even
though she previously had reservations about Adam Sandler.

Mitch

knight76

Aug 25, 2004, 2:29:59 AM8/25/04

"Mitch" <mi...@nomorespam.edu.au> wrote in message

Big statement.

I am definately not a trendoid as you put it. And im nearing 30. I dont mind
the tarantino flicks.

knight76

Aug 25, 2004, 2:32:26 AM8/25/04

> I liked From Dusk Till Dawn... once I realised what it was. Pulp Fiction
> was saved by Bruce Willis.
>
> My comment was intended not to insult but more to imply that Tarantino
> movies are not for everybody..

Well I advise you get a better grasp of the english language then.

Mitch

Aug 25, 2004, 2:37:30 AM8/25/04
"knight76" <knight7...@bigpond.com.au> wrote in message

Thanks for the tip

Ian Galbraith

Aug 25, 2004, 5:24:55 AM8/25/04
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:05:06 +1000, "Mitch" <mi...@nomorespam.edu.au>
wrote:

>"Martin Taylor" <mjp...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

[snip]

>> And to them, they are. Who are we to say that they're wrong? What you
>> may consider to be "the best" may, to others, be rubbish.

>Sure, and I like to hear their opinions on why they like them. But my
>problem is when a movie with similar black comedy overtones, like 3000
>Miles To Graceland, doesn't get the same accolades.

Tell me you're not serious. Just because a movie is the same genre
doesn't mean someone should like all films in that genre.

[snip]

Mitch

Aug 25, 2004, 6:03:03 PM8/25/04
"Ian Galbraith" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

All I'm (trying) to say is that Tarantino dirceting style has something of
a cult following... that's all.

Mitch

Harvey

Aug 25, 2004, 9:37:09 PM8/25/04
Thankyou for all of your comments... I am sorry if I have somehow sparked
off any hostilities but it is certainly clear that freedom of choice still
reigns supreme and that a small selection of people can have vastly
differing views.... something I consider worth rejoicing in.

Have a brilliant day everyone...

Harvey

knight76" <knight7...@bigpond.com.au> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

V01TeK

Aug 26, 2004, 9:38:46 PM8/26/04

> Lol, sooner or later, that'd be everyone in aus.films.

Maybe so, but in cases of director's like, say, Tarantino, Shymalan or PT
Anderson - directors who have an instantly recognisable style - there's a
tendency for certain sections of the population to make pariahs of them.
It's ridiculous

Mitch

Aug 26, 2004, 10:27:40 PM8/26/04
"V01TeK" <voit...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I wouldn't say pariahs, I'd say categorising their styles for certain
demographics - can't be helpd in some cases. Anyone who continiually
prejudges a movie by it's director is asking for trouble - but one can't
help with some. Like, I'm sure there is a good John Carpenter movie out
there somewhere, apart form Halloween, I haven't found it yet - but I'll
keep looking regardless.

Mitch

zaphy

Aug 27, 2004, 10:05:04 AM8/27/04
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:37:09 +0800, "Harvey" <repo...@yahoo.com>
unleashed:

>Thankyou for all of your comments... I am sorry if I have somehow sparked
>off any hostilities but it is certainly clear that freedom of choice still
>reigns supreme and that a small selection of people can have vastly
>differing views.... something I consider worth rejoicing in.
>
>Have a brilliant day everyone...

You still haven't said if you like the film or not..

--
zaphy

zaphy

Aug 27, 2004, 10:12:18 AM8/27/04
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:08:00 +1000, Martin Taylor
<mjp...@yahoo.com.au> unleashed:

>Movies are forms of art. There is no good or bad. It's all to do with
>personal taste.

Those last 2 two sentences are not quite correct..

--
zaphy

Martin Taylor

Aug 30, 2004, 2:38:50 AM8/30/04
zaphy said....

>>Movies are forms of art. There is no good or bad. It's all to do with
>>personal taste.
>
> Those last 2 two sentences are not quite correct..

Yes, they are. When it comes to art, there is no good or bad. Perhaps,
in a technical sense, when it comes to movies or songs, there might be,
with respect to lighting, sound levels, and so on. Shit, look at "Plan 9
from Outer Space". Widely considered to be the worst movie ever made.
But it has a cult following, or rather, Ed Wood has a cult following
that other more prominent directors would kill for.