Auto update of time & date

Lone Wolf

Apr 14, 2003, 10:22:28 AM4/14/03
Does the Telstra GSM network support this function at all?

Adrian

Apr 14, 2003, 6:53:27 PM4/14/03
It does but it is phone dependant.

Danny Rohr

Apr 14, 2003, 7:34:04 PM4/14/03

Adrian <ak...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> It does but it is phone dependant.

Doesn't seem to work on any Nokia I have tried (on Telstra). Which phones
work?

Danny.

Rob T

Apr 14, 2003, 7:44:19 PM4/14/03
Really? As far as I knew the phone needs to have the function but also,
Telstra GSM doesn't offer this network service

Adrian

Apr 14, 2003, 8:01:52 PM4/14/03
You need to set the correct time and date and it just keeps it as accurate
as possible. However, if you set the time to something such as the wrong
hour, it will not work. I used it a while back on telstra and it worked.

Charlie Wong

Apr 14, 2003, 8:19:49 PM4/14/03
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:01:52 +1000, "Adrian" <ak...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>You need to set the correct time and date and it just keeps it as accurate
>as possible. However, if you set the time to something such as the wrong
>hour, it will not work. I used it a while back on telstra and it worked.

Dreamer.

OzDuDe

Apr 14, 2003, 8:22:27 PM4/14/03

My 3330 on Voda doesn't do this either. I think it's not transmitted by any
carrier here to be honest.

Oz

Adrian

Apr 14, 2003, 9:03:51 PM4/14/03
Call me what you will.

?

Apr 15, 2003, 6:27:50 AM4/15/03
Seemed to work OK on my 6610 at the end of daylight saving time in
NSW.

wrote:

>You need to set the correct time and date and it just keeps it as accurate

Charlie Wong

Apr 15, 2003, 6:49:38 AM4/15/03
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:27:50 +1000, ? <ea5...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Seemed to work OK on my 6610 at the end of daylight saving time in
>NSW.

Dreamer.

Adrian

Apr 15, 2003, 9:04:53 AM4/15/03
Your a man of few words Charlie.. :-)

"Charlie Wong" <willwa...@gmx.net> wrote in message >
> Dreamer.

Charlie Wong

Apr 15, 2003, 9:45:43 AM4/15/03
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:04:53 +1000, "Adrian" <ak...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>Your a man of few words Charlie.. :-)

One cannot fit much onto the bit of paper in a fortune cookie.

John Henderson

Apr 15, 2003, 5:07:18 PM4/15/03
"Rob T" wrote:

> Really? As far as I knew the phone needs to have the function
> but also, Telstra GSM doesn't offer this network service

I don't have a phone I can test this on, but I remember reading
that you may need to use GPRS for auto timezone updates to work
(where implemented).

Note that the GSM network doesn't update the date/time as such -
only the offset from UTC/GMT.

John

budgie

Apr 15, 2003, 10:34:20 PM4/15/03

That explains the daylight saving comment. Certainly, our pack of
Nokia 3315's have the feature (and enabled) but Virgin/Optus never
sent the info and nor do Voda. Can't comment on whether the
Tel$tra-scum do, but it's unlikely they'd give you anything free.

Mal

Apr 16, 2003, 4:30:41 AM4/16/03

I used to see this updating with Telstra GPRS and my T39.
If the time was out and the phone was switched on, it would say "Time:
xx:xx. Set time?" or something similar. This didn't happen with GSM.

They seem to have either switched off that "feature" now, or i've
modified settings and it no longer checks because I tried just then and
I can't replicate it now.

Albinus

Apr 16, 2003, 4:32:14 AM4/16/03
"budgie" <bud...@nowhere.cantech.net.au> wrote in message

Can't comment on whether the
> Tel$tra-scum do, but it's unlikely they'd give you anything free.

In other words they won't even give you the time of day LOL

Charlie Wong

Apr 16, 2003, 5:19:36 AM4/16/03
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:32:14 +1000, "Albinus" <alb...@spam-this.com>
wrote:

>In other words they won't even give you the time of day LOL

How much? I'll pay that one!

John Henderson

Apr 16, 2003, 4:46:23 PM4/16/03
"Mal" wrote:

> > Note that the GSM network doesn't update the date/time as
> > such - only the offset from UTC/GMT.

> I used to see this updating with Telstra GPRS and my T39.

> If the time was out and the phone was switched on, it would say
> "Time: xx:xx. Set time?" or something similar. This didn't
> happen with GSM.
>
> They seem to have either switched off that "feature" now, or
> i've modified settings and it no longer checks because I tried
> just then and I can't replicate it now.

Because of the way it works (GPRS included), the real test would
be to move the phone to a different timezone. There's only three
in Aus at this time of year - Eastern, Central and Western. Then
the new offset should be applied to whatever time you entered.

John

Michael J

Apr 16, 2003, 10:06:42 PM4/16/03

"Lone Wolf" <flatula...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> Does the Telstra GSM network support this function at all?

No
Anyone with half-a-brain can set a clock

Michael J

Apr 16, 2003, 10:07:08 PM4/16/03

> You need to set the correct time and date and it just keeps it as accurate
> as possible. However, if you set the time to something such as the wrong
> hour, it will not work. I used it a while back on telstra and it worked.

No, it didnt and doesnt

Lone Wolf

Apr 17, 2003, 5:02:52 PM4/17/03
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:06:42 +1000 (17-April-2003 12:06:42 where I live) Michael J wrote in HPnna.16043$1s1.2...@newsfeeds.bigpond.com:-

> No
> Anyone with half-a-brain can set a clock

Agreed, but I started this thread when I was in the USA, and noticed
both Cingular Wireless and AT&T asking on my screen this question, every
time I turned on, or roamed between the two networks..

I declined, as it is handy to keep the Oz time on display, so you can
wake someone up when you call :-))

Of course anyone with half a brain (you perhaps) can set a clock, but
not everybody has a clock or an accurate clock.