Optus $5/month 5110, T10 and 2288 only 4 days

Rod Speed

Jan 25, 2001, 3:46:52 PM1/25/01
Ads in the paper claim that the offer of 'yes' Value 5 plan,
$5/month for 24 months for the

Nokia 5110
Ericsson T10
Motorola 2288

all for $0 up front, runs till Sunday 28th Jan.

Since this has been available for a while by phone, maybe it wont be after that.

Paul Edwards

Jan 25, 2001, 5:40:51 PM1/25/01
Did it mention whether it had the handsfree, car charger and leather case?

Thanks. Paul.

"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Jan 25, 2001, 8:12:33 PM1/25/01

Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message

> Did it mention whether it had the handsfree, car charger and leather case?

Nar, ad doesnt say 133 999

They will credit you with $30 to that new mobile account if you
switch your landline longdistance calls to Optus too. Which makes
the price of the mobile $120-$30=$90, which means that you'd have
to have rocks in your head to pay $70+ for a second hand 5110
given that that $90 is effectively time payment over 24 months.

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

Paul Edwards

Jan 25, 2001, 10:45:26 PM1/25/01
I did some hunting around, and I found the deal!

http://www.optus.net.au/shop/hottestdeals

Slightly different though. For starters the phone costs $1.

But it states that you DO get the leather case, car charger
and handsfree.

No mention of the $30 credits.

It expires 31/1/1.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 25, 2001, 10:57:59 PM1/25/01

> I did some hunting around, and I found the deal!

Nope.

> http://www.optus.net.au/shop/hottestdeals

> Slightly different though. For starters the phone costs $1.

Its a different deal. Optus is a bit weird like that, direct flogging
by Optus themselves, their OptusWorld operation etc.

> But it states that you DO get the leather
> case, car charger and handsfree.

Yeah, but thats not the same deal. So
not relevant whats included with that one.

> No mention of the $30 credits.

Yeah, that one isnt in the ad in the paper either and appears
to be a quite separate thing that they can include.

I mentioned it because it makes the second hand phones look
very sick indeed. They were sick enough at $120 when thats
effectively an interest free time payment over $24, but you'd
have to be stupid to pay the $70+ that they currently go for
on sold when you can have a full warranty brand new phone
on an interest free time payment for $90 total paid.

There are still a few who wouldnt be able to go the $90 route, you
need a credit card and they do a credit check so there are likely some
that will be told to go shove their head up a dead bear's bum by Optus.

Makes the Optus prepaid 5110s look pretty bloody sick too.
Quite apart from the dollar value up front, they're locked.

> It expires 31/1/1.

So clearly a completely different plan. Does mean that the $100ish
brand new full warranty 5110s arent about to stop any time soon tho.

I think you should buy a gross of them and hand them out on the street.

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

Paul Edwards

Jan 25, 2001, 11:25:29 PM1/25/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message
>
> > I did some hunting around, and I found the deal!
>
> Nope.

You previously said that the $5/month Nokia 5110 was not on
the optus web site. If it wasn't then, it certainly is now.

> > http://www.optus.net.au/shop/hottestdeals
>
> > Slightly different though. For starters the phone costs $1.
>
> Its a different deal. Optus is a bit weird like that, direct flogging
> by Optus themselves, their OptusWorld operation etc.

So which one is the deal from the paper? There was no answer
when I rang BTW, not that surprising on a public holiday.

> > But it states that you DO get the leather
> > case, car charger and handsfree.
>
> Yeah, but thats not the same deal. So
> not relevant whats included with that one.

It's relevant insofar as it may well be a better deal than the other!

> > No mention of the $30 credits.
>
> Yeah, that one isnt in the ad in the paper either and appears
> to be a quite separate thing that they can include.

You rang them, did you?

> I mentioned it because it makes the second hand phones look
> very sick indeed. They were sick enough at $120 when thats
> effectively an interest free time payment over $24, but you'd
> have to be stupid to pay the $70+ that they currently go for
> on sold when you can have a full warranty brand new phone
> on an interest free time payment for $90 total paid.

Yeah, but people keep doing it anyway!

> There are still a few who wouldnt be able to go the $90 route, you
> need a credit card and they do a credit check so there are likely some
> that will be told to go shove their head up a dead bear's bum by Optus.
>
> Makes the Optus prepaid 5110s look pretty bloody sick too.
> Quite apart from the dollar value up front, they're locked.

I haven't seen any 5110s on Optus prepaid. How much are they?

> > It expires 31/1/1.
>
> So clearly a completely different plan. Does mean that the $100ish
> brand new full warranty 5110s arent about to stop any time soon tho.

I consider "31/1/1" to be "any time soon" myself!

> I think you should buy a gross of them and hand them out on the street.

Honestly, I don't know what to do. When something is being sold
at such a low, subsidized price, what does the free market say
should happen? When a bargain is clearly identified, you have a
moral obligation to buy it.

But what do you do with 200 phones and 200 contracts?

I'm going to ring around all my "friends" and relatives. I just don't
know which deal to put then on to.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 25, 2001, 11:52:21 PM1/25/01

Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message

> Did it mention whether it had the handsfree, car charger and leather case?

Like I said previously, it didnt, but they confirmed
by phone that it does, home charger as well.

And its not locked.

And the clowns have been stupid enough to let the 133 999
number listed in the ad ring out. 1300 303 937 works fine.

More below

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> Ads in the paper claim that the offer of 'yes' Value 5 plan,
>> $5/month for 24 months for the

>> Nokia 5110
>> Ericsson T10
>> Motorola 2288

The phonedroidette claims that the last is a Mitsubishi instead.

>> all for $0 up front, runs till Sunday 28th Jan.

>> Since this has been available for a while
>> by phone, maybe it wont be after that.

Thats since changed, there is an almost identical offer
that expires 31/1/1 unless they withdraw it sooner.

Clinky

Jan 25, 2001, 11:53:15 PM1/25/01

Did you see on the optus website there is a 'Introduce a friend' scheme,
http://www.optus.net.au/shop/introduceafriend . Might be handy in a
situation where you want to sign up a few rellos onto a cheap phone,
after all $40 all up saving as well as handsfree, etc, is quite a good
deal.

My 2.2c,

Chris.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 12:11:56 AM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

>>> I did some hunting around, and I found the deal!

>> Nope.

> You previously said that the $5/month
> Nokia 5110 was not on the optus web site.

I said that *A* Nokia 5110 $5/month deal that they offer over
the phone wasnt that I could find and that the phonedroidette
had said that it was deliberately not on the web site.

I didnt see that 'hottest deals' page tho. Their web site is
a badly organised shambles, almost as bad as Telstras.

And 'the deal' that started this thread is different
again, including 2 other different phones for the
same price. The one on that hotdeals page doesnt.

> If it wasn't then, it certainly is now.

Looks like a different deal.

>>> http://www.optus.net.au/shop/hottestdeals

>>> Slightly different though. For starters the phone costs $1.

>> Its a different deal. Optus is a bit weird like that, direct flogging
>> by Optus themselves, their OptusWorld operation etc.

> So which one is the deal from the paper?

Certainly not that one you have the url for above, because the one in
the paper has a choice of one of 3 different phones for the same price.

> There was no answer when I rang BTW, not that surprising on a public holiday.

Yeah, I replied to your original question separately.

>>> But it states that you DO get the leather
>>> case, car charger and handsfree.

>> Yeah, but thats not the same deal. So
>> not relevant whats included with that one.

> It's relevant insofar as it may well be a better deal than the other!

It isnt.

>>> No mention of the $30 credits.

>> Yeah, that one isnt in the ad in the paper either and appears
>> to be a quite separate thing that they can include.

> You rang them, did you?

Yeah. Twice now.

>> I mentioned it because it makes the second hand phones look
>> very sick indeed. They were sick enough at $120 when thats
>> effectively an interest free time payment over $24, but you'd
>> have to be stupid to pay the $70+ that they currently go for
>> on sold when you can have a full warranty brand new phone
>> on an interest free time payment for $90 total paid.

> Yeah, but people keep doing it anyway!

Yeah, I sent a snide email to a couple of the worst spivs and
con men offering those obscenely priced second hand phones.
Only one bothered to reply and said that there are plenty who
dont know about those Optus and Digi* deals.

>> There are still a few who wouldnt be able to go the $90 route, you
>> need a credit card and they do a credit check so there are likely some
>> that will be told to go shove their head up a dead bear's bum by Optus.

>> Makes the Optus prepaid 5110s look pretty bloody sick too.
>> Quite apart from the dollar value up front, they're locked.

> I haven't seen any 5110s on Optus prepaid. How much are they?

Say one in the last coupla days, cant put my hand on
it now. $149 from memory, with $30 in call credits.

>>> It expires 31/1/1.

>> So clearly a completely different plan. Does mean that the $100ish
>> brand new full warranty 5110s arent about to stop any time soon tho.

> I consider "31/1/1" to be "any time soon" myself!

Not as soon as the ad in the paper which hyperventilates
about just 4 days to get them, ends Sunday.

>> I think you should buy a gross of them and hand them out on the street.

> Honestly, I don't know what to do. When something
> is being sold at such a low, subsidized price, what
> does the free market say should happen?

No such animal, in spades with mobile phones.

> When a bargain is clearly identified,
> you have a moral obligation to buy it.

Yes, you should buy a gross and hand them out in the street.

Dont let them jerk you around, hold a gun to their head and make
them take the phone if they even hesitate because of your bloodshot
eyes, Alby Einstein haircut and the flecks of foam about your lips.

> But what do you do with 200 phones

Hand them out in the street, stupid.

> and 200 contracts?

Pay.

> I'm going to ring around all my "friends" and relatives.
> I just don't know which deal to put then on to.

Basically the ad in the paper is better, same stuff included,
and that $30 credit for having your long distance calls with Optus.

That last may be available with the one you found
too tho. And its got a more generous ending date.

They do need to satisfy a credit check, your pov relos
who dont even insure their cars may not qualify, in
spades coz they are likely mostly illegal immigrants.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 12:55:25 AM1/26/01

> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message
>
> > Did it mention whether it had the handsfree, car charger and leather
case?

> Like I said previously, it didnt, but they confirmed
> by phone that it does, home charger as well.

I'd assumed the bit about the home charger!!!

> And its not locked.
>
> And the clowns have been stupid enough to let the 133 999
> number listed in the ad ring out.

You mean they're stupid enough to have it unmanned or what?
What else is it meant to do?

> 1300 303 937 works fine.

Noted.

> >> Ads in the paper claim that the offer of 'yes' Value 5 plan,
> >> $5/month for 24 months for the
>
> >> Nokia 5110
> >> Ericsson T10
> >> Motorola 2288
>
> The phonedroidette claims that the last is a Mitsubishi instead.
>
> >> all for $0 up front, runs till Sunday 28th Jan.
>
> >> Since this has been available for a while
> >> by phone, maybe it wont be after that.
>
> Thats since changed, there is an almost identical offer
> that expires 31/1/1 unless they withdraw it sooner.

I don't understand this bit.

"almost identical" - which bit is not identical.
and almost identical to what?

and what has "since changed"?

Now I need to check this referal thingo too, maybe we can
get Optus to start paying us?

BFN. Paul.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 1:14:47 AM1/26/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Nope.
>
> > You previously said that the $5/month
> > Nokia 5110 was not on the optus web site.
>
> I said that *A* Nokia 5110 $5/month deal that they offer over
> the phone wasnt that I could find and that the phonedroidette
> had said that it was deliberately not on the web site.

If it's not the same deal, it's pretty bloody close to what you described!

Sounds more like the droid got it wrong about the web page.

> I didnt see that 'hottest deals' page tho. Their web site is
> a badly organised shambles, almost as bad as Telstras.

Sure.

> And 'the deal' that started this thread is different
> again, including 2 other different phones for the
> same price. The one on that hotdeals page doesnt.

It has one other that is the same. So all they've done is add
a 3rd phone, not updated their web page. They aren't even
sure what the 3rd phone actually is!

> > If it wasn't then, it certainly is now.
>
> Looks like a different deal.

Pretty bloody similar if not the same one!

> >> Its a different deal. Optus is a bit weird like that, direct flogging
> >> by Optus themselves, their OptusWorld operation etc.
>
> > So which one is the deal from the paper?
>
> Certainly not that one you have the url for above, because the one in
> the paper has a choice of one of 3 different phones for the same price.

And the one on the web site only lists 2 of them. Maybe the 3rd
phone is a recent addition.

> >> Yeah, but thats not the same deal. So
> >> not relevant whats included with that one.
>
> > It's relevant insofar as it may well be a better deal than the other!
>
> It isnt.

Depends on this referal thing I suppose. And whether Optus direct
does the $30 credits too.

> >> I mentioned it because it makes the second hand phones look
> >> very sick indeed. They were sick enough at $120 when thats
> >> effectively an interest free time payment over $24, but you'd
> >> have to be stupid to pay the $70+ that they currently go for
> >> on sold when you can have a full warranty brand new phone
> >> on an interest free time payment for $90 total paid.
>
> > Yeah, but people keep doing it anyway!
>
> Yeah, I sent a snide email to a couple of the worst spivs and
> con men offering those obscenely priced second hand phones.
> Only one bothered to reply and said that there are plenty who
> dont know about those Optus and Digi* deals.

Hey, it's a free market. And it is still a considerable discount to
the new value, no bullshit strings attached. And there's the market
who don't have credit. Etc etc, they're welcome to do what they
want.

> >> There are still a few who wouldnt be able to go the $90 route, you
> >> need a credit card and they do a credit check so there are likely some
> >> that will be told to go shove their head up a dead bear's bum by Optus.
>
> >> Makes the Optus prepaid 5110s look pretty bloody sick too.
> >> Quite apart from the dollar value up front, they're locked.
>
> > I haven't seen any 5110s on Optus prepaid. How much are they?
>
> Say one in the last coupla days, cant put my hand on
> it now. $149 from memory, with $30 in call credits.

Seen them advertised now, http://www.optus.net.au/mobile/1,1648,1241,00.html

Never seen them in the shops before. It is as you described though.

> > Honestly, I don't know what to do. When something
> > is being sold at such a low, subsidized price, what
> > does the free market say should happen?
>
> No such animal, in spades with mobile phones.

What do you mean "no such animal"?

> > I'm going to ring around all my "friends" and relatives.
> > I just don't know which deal to put then on to.
>
> Basically the ad in the paper is better, same stuff included,
> and that $30 credit for having your long distance calls with Optus.

No $1 charge for the mobile, either. :-)

> That last may be available with the one you found
> too tho. And its got a more generous ending date.

Yeah, in fact I just rang 1800 501 062 and they DO
have the $30 credit!!! PLUS you can do the refer-a-friend.
Ok, so can someone send me an email who is already with
optus direct, and when I decide who/whether to go ahead,
we can both get the $20 credit.

> They do need to satisfy a credit check, your pov relos
> who dont even insure their cars may not qualify, in

They've bought a new car for $20k, and it is insured. Doesn't
even have an alarm or central locking! And it was 2nd hand
too. God only knows what these people get up to.

> spades coz they are likely mostly illegal immigrants.

Unfortunately they're not, or I'd have them deported in a flash,
so that I didn't feel compelled to buy shitloads of phones for
them.

BFN. Paul.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 1:32:32 AM1/26/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ok, let's summarize the latest state of affairs. I've just rung 1300 303
937
and they told me that I got through to the same number as 1800 501 062,
so you can just ring that number directly. So that means the phone must
now be going for $0 instead of $1 as per web site.

So that means we have:
$0 upfront
$5/month for 24 months = $120
outgoing expenses.

$20 each for referring a friend, so $40 being given away.
$30 being credited for switching long distance.

Meaning $120 - $70 = $50 effective cost.

And for that you get:

Nokia 5110 with charger
Car charger
personal hands free
leather case

and access to the network for 2 years, and access to optus yes
time and yes weekend for however long that lasts.

And anyone who doesn't take up that offer is certifiably INSANE.
Anyone who would like ME to refer THEM please send me an
email. I'm going to be whacking heads together until everyone I
know has one (referred by me!).

BFN. Paul.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 1:49:29 AM1/26/01

> $30 being credited for switching long distance.

I just rang them up on the 1800 number again. Incidentally, Rod,
how did you find out about this $30 credit?

I wanted to know how long I had to stay with Optus for long
distance after getting the $30 credit, and they said there was
no contract period. I don't know whether to believe them or
not.

I asked what happened if I was already with Optus for long
distance, and they said that I didn't get the credit.

BFN. Paul.

chris

Jan 26, 2001, 1:50:20 AM1/26/01
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 06:32:32 GMT, "Paul Edwards"
<kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote:

>And anyone who doesn't take up that offer is certifiably INSANE.

I notice just about all your posts end with this sort of thing. Have
you got some alterior motive? Next you'll be saying "I'm excited".

(Personally I bought a $10 Nokia from a swap meet, connected to
DingoBlue for $0. They then credited my referrer and me with $40 each.
Total cost -$70. Sinse then I've earnt a further $170 of credit for
myself and $160 for other people and haven't had a bill yet. Total
cost after 1 year -$400.)

-Chris

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 2:01:09 AM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> You previously said that the $5/month
>>> Nokia 5110 was not on the optus web site.

>> I said that *A* Nokia 5110 $5/month deal that they offer over
>> the phone wasnt that I could find and that the phonedroidette
>> had said that it was deliberately not on the web site.

> If it's not the same deal,

It isnt.

> it's pretty bloody close to what you described!

Yes. But the expiry date is different and the ad in
the paper clearly has a choice of 3 phones in that
deal and the web site has 2 at that per month price.

> Sounds more like the droid got it wrong about the web page.

Or that it showed up after she said that.

>> I didnt see that 'hottest deals' page tho. Their web site is
>> a badly organised shambles, almost as bad as Telstras.

> Sure.

>> And 'the deal' that started this thread is different
>> again, including 2 other different phones for the
>> same price. The one on that hotdeals page doesnt.

> It has one other that is the same.

Then you should have said that. Your bald 'I found
the deal' at the top was much more likely to have
been referring to the deal I started the thread with.

> So all they've done is add a 3rd phone,

The offer expiry date is quite different.

> not updated their web page.

It appears to be a different part of Optus for each of the deals.

> They aren't even sure what the 3rd phone actually is!

Well, the ad may have been wrong, or they ran out of the Motorolas and have substituted the Mitsubushi when they
did, or the phonedroidette got it wrong.

Regardless, that 'hottest deals' page has just two phones
at that per month price and a different offer expiry date.

Its MUCH more likely to be a different offer.

>>> If it wasn't then, it certainly is now.

>> Looks like a different deal.

> Pretty bloody similar if not the same one!

Wrong. The expiry date is quite different, the number
of phones on offer at that per month price is different.

Whats included with the Nokia 5110 is very close if not identical.

>>> So which one is the deal from the paper?

>> Certainly not that one you have the url for above, because the one in
>> the paper has a choice of one of 3 different phones for the same price.

> And the one on the web site only lists 2 of them.

> Maybe the 3rd phone is a recent addition.

Obviously two quite different deals. With different offer expiry
dates and quite different number of phones on offer at $5/month.

>>> It's relevant insofar as it may well be a better deal than the other!

>> It isnt.

> Depends on this referal thing I suppose. And
> whether Optus direct does the $30 credits too.

Yeah, but clearly there isnt a lot in it between the deals apart
from the offer expiry date on that 'better deal' question.

>>> Yeah, but people keep doing it anyway!

>> Yeah, I sent a snide email to a couple of the worst spivs and
>> con men offering those obscenely priced second hand phones.
>> Only one bothered to reply and said that there are plenty who
>> dont know about those Optus and Digi* deals.

> Hey, it's a free market.

And I'm free to point out stupid reserves. Which that market
has noticed, those ones just dont get any bids at all.

> And it is still a considerable discount to
> the new value, no bullshit strings attached.

There's no 'strings attached' to those Optus offers,
just an interest free payment by instalments.

> And there's the market who don't have credit.
> Etc etc, they're welcome to do what they want.

No one ever said they aint.

They're still spivs/conmen/ripoff merchants.

>>> I haven't seen any 5110s on Optus prepaid. How much are they?

>> Say one in the last coupla days, cant put my hand on
>> it now. $149 from memory, with $30 in call credits.

Yeah, looks like what I was thinking about and where I saw it this morning.

> Never seen them in the shops before.

I dont take much notice of the shops.

> It is as you described though.

>>> Honestly, I don't know what to do. When something
>>> is being sold at such a low, subsidized price, what
>>> does the free market say should happen?

>> No such animal, in spades with mobile phones.

> What do you mean "no such animal"?

No such animal as 'the free market' with new mobile phones.

>>> I'm going to ring around all my "friends" and relatives.
>>> I just don't know which deal to put then on to.

>> Basically the ad in the paper is better, same stuff included,
>> and that $30 credit for having your long distance calls with Optus.

> No $1 charge for the mobile, either. :-)

The phonedroidette did have some line of bullshit on that, claimed that
they charge that to the credit card to see if the card is valid. Problem
with that claim is that plenty have $0, including the ad in the paper.

Everything suggests that its two different bits of
Optus with their own deals and the detail varys a bit.

God knows what it costs them to have two sets
of spivs and conmen dreaming up different deals.

>> That last may be available with the one you found
>> too tho. And its got a more generous ending date.

> Yeah, in fact I just rang 1800 501 062 and they DO have the $30 credit!!!

Did you cream your jeans on the spot ?

> PLUS you can do the refer-a-friend. Ok, so can
> someone send me an email who is already with
> optus direct, and when I decide who/whether to
> go ahead, we can both get the $20 credit.

I am. What details do you want ?

>> They do need to satisfy a credit check, your pov
>> relos who dont even insure their cars may not qualify,

> They've bought a new car for $20k, and it is insured.

A likely story.

> Doesn't even have an alarm or central locking! And it was
> 2nd hand too. God only knows what these people get up to.

Typical povs.

>> in spades coz they are likely mostly illegal immigrants.

> Unfortunately they're not, or I'd have them deported in a flash,

Dont think immigration actually pays rewards.

Mate of mine employs lots of them as pickers. Knows they
are illegals but he'd have no pickers if he didnt. He handed
out the bullshit forms the tax dept makes them fill in now,
said that he didnt give a damn what they put on them.

Then the feds rocked up in uniform at home, one of them
in uniform was one of the 'pickers' he had said that to |-)

> so that I didn't feel compelled to buy shitloads of phones for them.

A gross will do.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 2:07:29 AM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

>>> Did it mention whether it had the handsfree, car charger and leather case?

>> Like I said previously, it didnt, but they confirmed
>> by phone that it does, home charger as well.

> I'd assumed the bit about the home charger!!!

Yeah, I did too, just included that for lurkers who may not
realise that its unusual not to get one of those included.

>> And its not locked.

>> And the clowns have been stupid enough to let
>> the 133 999 number listed in the ad ring out.

> You mean they're stupid enough to have it unmanned or what?

Or stupid enough to not divert it to the other one, anyway.

> What else is it meant to do?

Dunno, I tried ringing it very early, about 7:30, some droidette answered,
said that no one could flog a phone till 8:30, gave me that number. Got the
impression that number is OptusWorld which isnt the same as OptusDirect.

>> 1300 303 937 works fine.

> Noted.

The 1800 is obviously better tho.

>> The phonedroidette claims that the last is a Mitsubishi instead.

>> Thats since changed, there is an almost identical offer
>> that expires 31/1/1 unless they withdraw it sooner.

> I don't understand this bit.

> "almost identical" - which bit is not identical.

The offer expiry date and the number of phones on offer at
that price. No phones that arent at $5/month in the paper ad.

> and almost identical to what?

That one you gave the url for.

> and what has "since changed"?

The third phone. The ad in the paper has the Motorola 2288,
the phone droidette claimed its a Mitsubishi.

> Now I need to check this referal thingo too,
> maybe we can get Optus to start paying us?

Yep, well worth checking. We might well end up with free Nokia 5110s |-)

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 2:33:23 AM1/26/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> And 'the deal' that started this thread is different
> >> again, including 2 other different phones for the
> >> same price. The one on that hotdeals page doesnt.
>
> > It has one other that is the same.

It has one other phone that matches the deal you saw in the paper.

> > So all they've done is add a 3rd phone,
>
> The offer expiry date is quite different.

It is SLIGHTLY different. 3 days different in fact! Sounds like
they just made a misprint.

> > not updated their web page.
>
> It appears to be a different part of Optus for each of the deals.

When the phone numbers go to the same place? I don't think so.

> > They aren't even sure what the 3rd phone actually is!
>
> Well, the ad may have been wrong, or they ran out of the Motorolas and
have substituted the Mitsubushi when they
> did, or the phonedroidette got it wrong.

Which probably explains all the other differences too.

> Regardless, that 'hottest deals' page has just two phones
> at that per month price and a different offer expiry date.

"just two" instead of "just three". Yes, I know.

> Its MUCH more likely to be a different offer.

MUCH more likely to be the same offer.

> >> Looks like a different deal.
>
> > Pretty bloody similar if not the same one!
>
> Wrong. The expiry date is quite different, the number

Slightly different.

> of phones on offer at that per month price is different.

They've added one extra phone without updating the web page,
another slight change.

> Obviously two quite different deals. With different offer expiry
> dates and quite different number of phones on offer at $5/month.

2 phones versus 3 phones is not "quite different". It's more a case
of "web page not updated".

Both from Optus, both claiming the $30 credit, both claiming
the $20 each referral.

> > And it is still a considerable discount to
> > the new value, no bullshit strings attached.
>
> There's no 'strings attached' to those Optus offers,
> just an interest free payment by instalments.

Read the terms and conditions. There is strings attached. You
can't just pay upfront and get the contract cancelled, e.g. if you
want to go overseas and close your old bank accounts etc.

And say you don't want to be exposed to the risk of using their
SIM and having it fall into the wrong hands, but don't want to
risk destroying it either, in case they ask you to return it or
something.

And you need credit too.

> They're still spivs/conmen/ripoff merchants.

Free marketeers.

> >> No such animal, in spades with mobile phones.
>
> > What do you mean "no such animal"?
>
> No such animal as 'the free market' with new mobile phones.

Of course there's a free market!

> > PLUS you can do the refer-a-friend. Ok, so can
> > someone send me an email who is already with
> > optus direct, and when I decide who/whether to
> > go ahead, we can both get the $20 credit.
>
> I am. What details do you want ?

The mobile phone number I already have for you, is that
an Optus direct number or your dingoblue SIM? If it's the
Optus direct one, I don't need anything, I'll use that when I
order my phone.

> Then the feds rocked up in uniform at home, one of them
> in uniform was one of the 'pickers' he had said that to |-)

Is that actually illegal? All he did was say he didn't give a shit.
That's his personal opinion.

BFN. Paul.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 2:42:15 AM1/26/01
"chris" <Chri...@start.com.au> wrote in message

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 06:32:32 GMT, "Paul Edwards"
> <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote:
>
> >And anyone who doesn't take up that offer is certifiably INSANE.
>
> I notice just about all your posts end with this sort of thing. Have
> you got some alterior motive? Next you'll be saying "I'm excited".

"ulterior". And I am excited. It's quite unusual to find something
so grossly undersold.

> (Personally I bought a $10 Nokia from a swap meet, connected to

What brand? That's a good deal no matter what the brand, I've
been looking for mobiles that cheap. Is there a large supply of
such mobiles at your swap meet for when I rock up? Where is
it located?

> DingoBlue for $0. They then credited my referrer and me with $40 each.
> Total cost -$70. Sinse then I've earnt a further $170 of credit for
> myself and $160 for other people and haven't had a bill yet. Total
> cost after 1 year -$400.)

Yes, that's an excellent deal too! But these pyramid schemes don't
work very many generations.

And I was mainly talking about the cost of the hardware. It costs
$200 to buy a Nokia 5110 no strings attached. To get that, plus
the handsfree etc, for an effective cost WAY WAY below $200,
is a bargain.

BTW, just for a laugh, tell me what my ulterior motive might be?
I recently (3 weeks ago) bought a Philips Savvy from Virgin Mobile
too. So do I work for Nokia, Optus, or Virgin? Another thing I
highly recommend is Nicorette Inhalers for anyone who smokes.
I'm surprised that with my part-time job at Nokia, Optus and
Virgin that I actually have time to promote Nicorette. And then
there's my part time job at Telstra Bigpond flogging their cable
network for just $67.55/month long term cost, a BARGAIN,
and the other part time job flogging Foxtel at something like
$50/month. Oh, but of course my main job is to sell the Garmin
GPS 12. That is THE best money I have ever spent, for just
$330 you get access to US$7 billion worth of hardware for no
cost, telling you where you are in the world to an accuracy of
10 metres, no ongoing costs. Everyone should have one. You're
insane if you don't take up these BARGAINS. Everyone should
have a mobile phone and a GPS, and a personal alarm. Etc etc.

BFN. Paul.

chris

Jan 26, 2001, 3:33:42 AM1/26/01
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:42:15 GMT, "Paul Edwards"
<kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote:

>What brand? That's a good deal no matter what the brand, I've
>been looking for mobiles that cheap. Is there a large supply of
>such mobiles at your swap meet for when I rock up? Where is
>it located?

OK I'll come clean, it was a Nokia 2010, but it had a charger and
works fine. Last time I was there I saw a Phillips Savvy without a
charger for $5. There's plenty of others in the $20 to $40 range but I
don't know what you'd consider a 'large supply'. It was at Waneroo
telethon swap meet (Perth). I know people who go to others and they
pick up $10 phones quite easily.

>Everyone should have a mobile phone and a GPS, and
>a personal alarm. Etc etc.

Why should everyone have a mobile phone?
I have a couple of GPSs and haven't a use for them. I don't have a 4WD
or boat so whats the use?
What's a personal alarm?

-Chris (Can I spell facetious?)

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 4:25:44 AM1/26/01

> >What brand? That's a good deal no matter what the brand, I've
> >been looking for mobiles that cheap. Is there a large supply of
> >such mobiles at your swap meet for when I rock up? Where is
> >it located?
>
> OK I'll come clean, it was a Nokia 2010, but it had a charger and
> works fine. Last time I was there I saw a Phillips Savvy without a
> charger for $5. There's plenty of others in the $20 to $40 range but I
> don't know what you'd consider a 'large supply'. It was at Waneroo
> telethon swap meet (Perth). I know people who go to others and they
> pick up $10 phones quite easily.

I want to buy about 10 phones, for $10 each, crappy old phones
is fine. I just need them to work, not be locked, and hold their
charge for 24 hours. Last time I asked, someone directed me to
the Hunter Valley Auctions which are about 1.5 hours drive from
Sydney. I went on Saturday to look, Sunday to bid, and instead
of getting a bagload of mobiles for $10 because no-one wanted
them, there were about 10 phones, all going for high prices, like
$170 for a Nokia 3210 etc (can't remember exactly). The phone
I was after, a Nokia 5110 with no charger, but leather case and
car charger, went for $45.

There was some other shit that went for less, from memory, but
it was a long long way from the bargain basement that I travelled
so far for.

Oh, I want the phones to give to friends in Fiji, for whom a
crappy old phone is a shitload better than no phone.

> >Everyone should have a mobile phone and a GPS, and
> >a personal alarm. Etc etc.
>
> Why should everyone have a mobile phone?

So that they can be contactable nomatter where they are, and can
contact others in an emergency. It brings humans to a new level
of omnipresence. Just like microchipping them.

> I have a couple of GPSs and haven't a use for them. I don't have a 4WD
> or boat so whats the use?

Navigating ANYTHING. You can go to a foreign city, or even
a local city, and you know exactly where you are and where you
need to go, just like you've lived there all your life.

Just like whales that see the ocean floor as a gigantic grid. We
don't have the capability of whales built into us, but the addition
of a GPS gives it to us.

You've never got lost driving around? Everyone who I ever drive
with is permanently lost.

> What's a personal alarm?

Mainly for women/girls. Some of them are stupid enough to think
that spending hours and hours and $$$ and $$$ learning martial
arts is going to save them from a male 30kg their senior. No
chance whatsoever. More likely to do them harm being
overconfident than any good. A personal alarm puts them in with
a chance.

> -Chris (Can I spell facetious?)

Yes, that is the correct spelling.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 4:35:54 AM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> It has one other that is the same.

> It has one other phone that matches the deal you saw in the paper.

Thats what I said.

>>> So all they've done is add a 3rd phone,

>> The offer expiry date is quite different.

> It is SLIGHTLY different. 3 days different in fact!
> Sounds like they just made a misprint.

Wrong, the paper ad raves on about the offer being 3 phones, 4 days.

Its a different deal.

>>> not updated their web page.

>> It appears to be a different part of Optus for each of the deals.

> When the phone numbers go to the same place?

They dont. The ad lists 133 999

> I don't think so.

Your problem.

>>> They aren't even sure what the 3rd phone actually is!

>> Well, the ad may have been wrong, or they ran out of the
>> Motorolas and have substituted the Mitsubushi when they
>> did, or the phonedroidette got it wrong.

> Which probably explains all the other differences too.

Cant do.

>> Regardless, that 'hottest deals' page has just two phones
>> at that per month price and a different offer expiry date.

> "just two" instead of "just three". Yes, I know.

The paper ad has 3 phones, all at $5/month. The web site doesnt.

>> Its MUCH more likely to be a different offer.

> MUCH more likely to be the same offer.

Wrong. As always.

>>> Pretty bloody similar if not the same one!

>> Wrong. The expiry date is quite different, the number

> Slightly different.

Mindless hair splitting.

>> of phones on offer at that per month price is different.

> They've added one extra phone without updating the web page,

Wrong again. The web site has a different 3rd phone with a
different $/month. Its a different deal, with a different expiry date.

> another slight change.

>> Obviously two quite different deals. With different offer expiry
>> dates and quite different number of phones on offer at $5/month.

> 2 phones versus 3 phones is not "quite different".

Fraid so, specially when not all the phones
on the web site are the same $/month.

> It's more a case of "web page not updated".

How odd that its got a later expiry date, and a phone at a different $/month.

Keep digging.

> Both from Optus,

Different part of Optus, one part doesnt even bother to answer the phones today.

> both claiming the $30 credit, both claiming the $20 each referral.

Neither ad says anything about either.

>>> And it is still a considerable discount to
>>> the new value, no bullshit strings attached.

>> There's no 'strings attached' to those Optus offers,
>> just an interest free payment by instalments.

> Read the terms and conditions. There is strings attached.

Not real ones.

> You can't just pay upfront and get the contract cancelled, e.g.
> if you want to go overseas and close your old bank accounts etc.

You're welcome to change any bank accounts you like. You
just have to keep paying the $5/month, which is an interest
free time payment. Why would you want to cancel that ?

> And say you don't want to be exposed to the risk of
> using their SIM and having it fall into the wrong hands,

Nothing the in the T&C that says you cant destroy the sim.

> but don't want to risk destroying it either, in
> case they ask you to return it or something.

Wota wanka.

> And you need credit too.

Taint 'strings', they either accept your credit rating or they dont.

If they dont, you aint committed to a damned thing. No 'strings' with that.

>> They're still spivs/conmen/ripoff merchants.

> Free marketeers.

Spivs/conmen/ripoff merchants.

>>> What do you mean "no such animal"?

>> No such animal as 'the free market' with new mobile phones.

> Of course there's a free market!

No such animal as 'the free market' with new mobile phones.

>>> PLUS you can do the refer-a-friend. Ok, so can
>>> someone send me an email who is already with
>>> optus direct, and when I decide who/whether to
>>> go ahead, we can both get the $20 credit.

>> I am. What details do you want ?

> The mobile phone number I already have for you, is
> that an Optus direct number or your dingoblue SIM?

Thats the one.tel BYO sim.

> If it's the Optus direct one, I don't need
> anything, I'll use that when I order my phone.

I dont have the number currently, only ordered this morning.
I'll ring them tomorra, they should be able to tell me what it is.

>> Then the feds rocked up in uniform at home, one of them
>> in uniform was one of the 'pickers' he had said that to |-)

> Is that actually illegal?

Its arguably consipiracy to flout the law.

> All he did was say he didn't give a shit. That's his personal opinion.

Its not that simple with encouraging someone else to flout the law.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 4:40:21 AM1/26/01

> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

>> $30 being credited for switching long distance.

> I just rang them up on the 1800 number again.
> Incidentally, Rod, how did you find out about this $30 credit?

The phonedroidette offered it to me when
I got one of the phones on that deal.

> I wanted to know how long I had to stay with Optus
> for long distance after getting the $30 credit, and
> they said there was no contract period.

Yeah, thats what the phonedroidette told me too.

> I don't know whether to believe them or not.

Just switch to them till you see the $30 credit on the mobile account
and then switch off to someone else if you want to. I will, because
long distance with the dog changes the call charges on their mobile sim.

I do normally call on the dog sim, because its the
cheapest of the surprising pile of sims I have now.

> I asked what happened if I was already with Optus for
> long distance, and they said that I didn't get the credit.

Not surprising.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 5:07:46 AM1/26/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> of phones on offer at that per month price is different.
>
> > They've added one extra phone without updating the web page,
>
> Wrong again. The web site has a different 3rd phone with a
> different $/month. Its a different deal, with a different expiry date.

It's the third phone that is the different deal. The other two
phones are the same deal!

> >> Obviously two quite different deals. With different offer expiry
> >> dates and quite different number of phones on offer at $5/month.
>
> > 2 phones versus 3 phones is not "quite different".
>
> Fraid so, specially when not all the phones
> on the web site are the same $/month.

Fraid not, when the two phones are exactly the same $/month.

> > It's more a case of "web page not updated".
>
> How odd that its got a later expiry date, and a phone at a different
$/month.

That third phone on the web page is a different deal. The other 2 are the
same deal.

> > Read the terms and conditions. There is strings attached.
>
> Not real ones.
>
> > You can't just pay upfront and get the contract cancelled, e.g.
> > if you want to go overseas and close your old bank accounts etc.
>
> You're welcome to change any bank accounts you like. You
> just have to keep paying the $5/month, which is an interest
> free time payment. Why would you want to cancel that ?

I want to cancel it so that I can close the account down.
I just want to pay the money and go away.

> > And say you don't want to be exposed to the risk of
> > using their SIM and having it fall into the wrong hands,
>
> Nothing the in the T&C that says you cant destroy the sim.

Well the one I got from Virgin said that I had to return the SIM
if requested.

> > but don't want to risk destroying it either, in
> > case they ask you to return it or something.
>
> Wota wanka.

Tell it to Virgin. I actually read their huge terms and conditions.

> > If it's the Optus direct one, I don't need
> > anything, I'll use that when I order my phone.
>
> I dont have the number currently, only ordered this morning.
> I'll ring them tomorra, they should be able to tell me what it is.

So what did you get?

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 5:11:17 AM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> I dont have the number currently, only ordered this morning.
>> I'll ring them tomorra, they should be able to tell me what it is.

Just did it, emailled to you.

> So what did you get?

5110

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 5:38:26 AM1/26/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Being processed!

> > So what did you get?
>
> 5110

What are you planning on doing with yours BTW, is it a backup
or what?

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 5:51:33 AM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

>>> So what did you get?

>> 5110

> What are you planning on doing with
> yours BTW, is it a backup or what?

What. I currently have a data watch that I load with data
as I go out, and take a mobile phone. Would be more
convenient to just dump the data into the phone and take
just one thing, specially when the phone has a clock.

Want something very portable, so a pda isnt warranted
and since I have the functionality already, cant really
justify one of the fancy combined pda/phones just so
I dont have to bother wearing the watch.

Cant really justify it with GPRS coming either, thats
gunna be even better in the future with the data, just
get it off the PC while out, over the mobile system.

So basically gunna dump the data into the
phone before I go out, as dummy phone entrys.

If Optus is stupid enough to give me close to a free phone
to do that, who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth ?

Horses have very ugly teeth anyway and they bite.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 6:27:29 AM1/26/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message
> > Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
> >> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

> >> 5110
>
> > What are you planning on doing with
> > yours BTW, is it a backup or what?
>
> What. I currently have a data watch that I load with data
> as I go out, and take a mobile phone. Would be more
> convenient to just dump the data into the phone and take
> just one thing, specially when the phone has a clock.

So you were going to buy Nokia Data Suite with a cable
connection or what?

As an alternative, you might want to use totalise and send
an SMS message to your phone. :-)

I've just looked in NDS to find a way of getting draft SMS
messages onto the phone, but can't find a way of doing it.

> Want something very portable, so a pda isnt warranted

Where do you keep your phone anyway? I carry a backpack
so can afford to be carrying lots of things.

> So basically gunna dump the data into the
> phone before I go out, as dummy phone entrys.

What are the mechanics of the way you (intend to) do this?

BTW, the Optus sales office is open 8.30am-9.30pm AEST,
so I just missed out on getting the phone today, by the time I
got your email.

So by tomorrow I will own 4 Nokia 5110s, 1 Philips Savvy,
and my wife has her own Nokia. I'm basically running out of
people I know. It's times like this that I wish I led a more
active social life. I think my 85 year old neighbour desperately
needs one though. It's either that or a baseball bat around the
head, she can decide which one she needs.

So anyway, which mobile phone do you use currently, and how
come you never did this data storage with it?

BFN. Paul.

Reader

Jan 26, 2001, 7:02:47 AM1/26/01
all that for what $1 a month ?

--

"Paul Edwards" <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 3:44:19 PM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> What are you planning on doing with
>>> yours BTW, is it a backup or what?

>> What. I currently have a data watch that I load with data
>> as I go out, and take a mobile phone. Would be more
>> convenient to just dump the data into the phone and take
>> just one thing, specially when the phone has a clock.

> So you were going to buy Nokia Data Suite with a cable connection or what?

What again on the buy, but thats the general idea.

> As an alternative, you might want to use totalise
> and send an SMS message to your phone. :-)

Can do that with any phone. I did consider that but its not really very
satisfactory. Much of the data is quite small items, quite a few of them,
and that fits into the dummy phonebood entrys better than into SMSs.

The SMS approach is fine for larger chunks of data than the typical
phone book entry. And usually not that many of them are needed in
the phone while out of the house at one time, so no hassle to find.

> I've just looked in NDS to find a way of getting draft SMS
> messages onto the phone, but can't find a way of doing it.

Yeah, but no real need when its just as easy to pump them
into the phone from the PC via the mobile radio system.

>> Want something very portable, so a pda isnt warranted

> Where do you keep your phone anyway?

Just put it in my pocket. Never bother with a belt clip etc.

In summer I get around in shorts and T shirt.
Do wear shorts with decent pockets tho.

> I carry a backpack

Dont ever do that except say around a big city for hours.

> so can afford to be carrying lots of things.

Bugger that, I dont carry anything at all. Happy to put the phone
in my pocket, and it would be better if that phone was a full pda
too, but with GPRS coming soon, cant justify their completely silly
prices when the datawatch is only marginally less convenient.

I wouldnt bother with a separate pda and phone either,
not handy enough when just doing the grocery shopping
etc. Even when just keeping a part number or size etc
data for use when out shopping for it, the datawatch or
phone is fine, a separate pda is too much to bother with.

>> So basically gunna dump the data into the
>> phone before I go out, as dummy phone entrys.

> What are the mechanics of the way you (intend to) do this?

Basically like you said at the top, use the datasuite and
cable to pump the data from the PC in dummy phonebook
entry format into the phone before heading out the door.

Thats what I do now with the data watch, pump the data into
the watch from the PC via a cable before I head out the door.

An IR capable phone would be a bit more elegant but not
worth the substantial higher cost over the virtually free 5110s.

I havent bothered to replace the data watch with an IR interfaced
data watch for the same reason, its not that big a deal.

> BTW, the Optus sales office is open 8.30am-9.30pm AEST,

Bit slack. Should be 6:00am to midnight or sumfin.

> so I just missed out on getting the phone today, by the time I got your email.

Didnt think of that, sorry.

> So by tomorrow I will own 4 Nokia 5110s, 1 Philips Savvy, and my
> wife has her own Nokia. I'm basically running out of people I know.

Thats why you should buy a gross and hand them out on the street.

If you're gunna be a missionary, ya have to get your act into gear, boy.

> It's times like this that I wish I led a more active social
> life. I think my 85 year old neighbour desperately needs
> one though. It's either that or a baseball bat around the
> head, she can decide which one she needs.

> So anyway, which mobile phone do you use currently,
> and how come you never did this data storage with it?

It doesnt have phone number storage in the phone itself,
just the sim. I was considering one of those gadgets that
allows you to read and write the sim on the PC. You just
stick the sim in the device and can do what you like with
the data thats stored in the sim. Thats not operationally
so convenient tho, having to put the sim in that then back
in the phone before you go out.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 4:42:28 PM1/26/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > So you were going to buy Nokia Data Suite with a cable connection or
what?

> What again on the buy, but thats the general idea.

So you're going to get the cable from www.mobacc.com.au?
Or do you know a better way?

> > As an alternative, you might want to use totalise
> > and send an SMS message to your phone. :-)
>
> Can do that with any phone. I did consider that but its not really very
> satisfactory. Much of the data is quite small items, quite a few of them,
> and that fits into the dummy phonebood entrys better than into SMSs.

So what format of dummy phonebook entries are you going to use?
E.g.

X eggs, coco pops
X spaghetti

> The SMS approach is fine for larger chunks of data than the typical
> phone book entry. And usually not that many of them are needed in
> the phone while out of the house at one time, so no hassle to find.
>
> > I've just looked in NDS to find a way of getting draft SMS
> > messages onto the phone, but can't find a way of doing it.
>
> Yeah, but no real need when its just as easy to pump them
> into the phone from the PC via the mobile radio system.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean via the internet, or have
you got some transmitter or something? You worded that very
strangely!

> > So anyway, which mobile phone do you use currently,
> > and how come you never did this data storage with it?
>
> It doesnt have phone number storage in the phone itself,
> just the sim. I was considering one of those gadgets that

And you need more storage than will fit on the SIM? I've
only ever written data to the SIM. I remember reading
about storage on the phone, but I can't see it anywhere in
Nokia Data Suite, ie a separate contact list.

> allows you to read and write the sim on the PC. You just
> stick the sim in the device and can do what you like with
> the data thats stored in the sim. Thats not operationally
> so convenient tho, having to put the sim in that then back
> in the phone before you go out.

Bloody oath that's inconvenient!

So you carry your mobile in one pocket, wallet in the other,
and that's it? House keys as well or do you have some
touchpad? Car keys? Do you put your wallet in the front
or back? I've always thought that putting it in the back
pocket was just asking to be pick-pocketed.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 5:09:51 PM1/26/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> So you were going to buy Nokia Data Suite with a cable connection or what?

>> What again on the buy, but thats the general idea.

> So you're going to get the cable from www.mobacc.com.au?

Yeah. Tad bizarre that the cable could well cost more than the phone |-)

> Or do you know a better way?

Nope. The IR route would be a tad more operationally
convenient, but at a much higher cost which isnt warranted.

>>> As an alternative, you might want to use totalise
>>> and send an SMS message to your phone. :-)

>> Can do that with any phone. I did consider that but its not really very
>> satisfactory. Much of the data is quite small items, quite a few of them,
>> and that fits into the dummy phonebood entrys better than into SMSs.

> So what format of dummy phonebook entries are you going to use?
> E.g.

> X eggs, coco pops
> X spaghetti

Yeah, thats what the data watch already uses. Should be
quite trivial to change the output format to suit NDS etc.

>> The SMS approach is fine for larger chunks of data than the typical
>> phone book entry. And usually not that many of them are needed in
>> the phone while out of the house at one time, so no hassle to find.

>>> I've just looked in NDS to find a way of getting draft SMS
>>> messages onto the phone, but can't find a way of doing it.

>> Yeah, but no real need when its just as easy to pump them
>> into the phone from the PC via the mobile radio system.

> What do you mean by this? Do you mean via the internet,

Yeah, using the variety of ways of doing that. Bit
operationally more convenient to use the email to
sms systems, trivial to automate email sending from
the PC that ends up with the sms in the phone.

> or have you got some transmitter or something?

Nar. Might as well use the mobile phone bases as the transmitter.

> You worded that very strangely!

Yeah, not as clear as it could have been. I just meant that to
get an SMS into the phone, since the PC is on the net most
of the time, you might as well just pump that into the net and
have it sent to the phone via the mobile phone system, rather
than fart around trying to get it into the phone using NDS and
the cable for the occasional SMS with a bigger chunk of data
that you want in the phone. Say you have a book title and ISBN
etc that you want to chase up down the library or sumfin.

Just send an email/SMS to your phone.

>>> So anyway, which mobile phone do you use currently,
>>> and how come you never did this data storage with it?

>> It doesnt have phone number storage in the phone itself, just the sim.

> And you need more storage than will fit on the SIM?

Not with the bigger sims. The smallest sims are a bit tight
tho. I only do the major grocery shopping every coupla
months, too bloody boring, so it can be a decent list.

Its handy to have other data in what you carry
around too like clothes sizes etc and it all ads up.

> I've only ever written data to the SIM. I remember reading
> about storage on the phone, but I can't see it anywhere in
> Nokia Data Suite, ie a separate contact list.

>> I was considering one of those gadgets that allows

>> you to read and write the sim on the PC. You just
>> stick the sim in the device and can do what you like
>> with the data thats stored in the sim. Thats not
>> operationally so convenient tho, having to put the
>> sim in that then back in the phone before you go out.

> Bloody oath that's inconvenient!

> So you carry your mobile in one pocket, wallet in the other, and that's
> it? House keys as well or do you have some touchpad? Car keys?

mobile, wallet, keys, yes.

I only add a paperback when say flying to somewhere too.

> Do you put your wallet in the front or back?

Back.

> I've always thought that putting it in the back
> pocket was just asking to be pick-pocketed.

Its not that easy with the usual type of pocket you get with jeans
and the sort of shorts that have the same style of pockets.

Paul Edwards

Jan 26, 2001, 5:19:03 PM1/26/01
"Paul Edwards" <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message

> Ok, let's summarize the latest state of affairs. I've just rung 1300 303
> 937
> and they told me that I got through to the same number as 1800 501 062,
> so you can just ring that number directly. So that means the phone must
> now be going for $0 instead of $1 as per web site.

They charged me $1, not $0.

> So that means we have:
> $0 upfront
> $5/month for 24 months = $120
> outgoing expenses.
>
> $20 each for referring a friend, so $40 being given away.
> $30 being credited for switching long distance.

And they mentioned something about an additional $10 voucher.
In addition to the $30 for switching long distance. I think it was
because I was a new customer to Optus or something, I didn't
really understand it.

Anyway, so that means the effective cost in the right situation is
now just $40! :-) I feel sorry for them really.

Ok folks, so anyone who wants to sign up and get $20 credit,
email me (remove the nosppaam). Or if you have an existing
Optus customer who is a friend, get their phone number or
account number so that they get the other $20 credit!

You wouldn't believe the trouble I've been having getting my
relos to sign up for this. Even when offering to pay the $120
upfront myself!!!

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2001, 5:30:53 PM1/26/01

> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

>> Ok, let's summarize the latest state of affairs. I've just rung 1300 303 937
>> and they told me that I got through to the same number as 1800 501 062,
>> so you can just ring that number directly. So that means the phone must
>> now be going for $0 instead of $1 as per web site.

> They charged me $1, not $0.

Funny crowd. They charged me $0 yesterday at about the same time.
Definitely used the 1300 303 937 number. Didnt mention the web site
coz I didnt know about it at that stage, did mention the newspaper ad.

The droidette did appear to recognise the mention of the ad in the paper.

>> So that means we have:
>> $0 upfront
>> $5/month for 24 months = $120

One of the deals has the contract for 24 months, with the first month
free. That was the one I got told about when I rang them previously,
and she said it wasnt on the web site for a reason. I farted around
and didnt order it, got off my arse when the ad in the paper said that
that that deal expired on Sunday and I assumed that that might be the
end of it. The one in the paper doesnt have the first month free.

>> outgoing expenses.

>> $20 each for referring a friend, so $40 being given away.
>> $30 being credited for switching long distance.

> And they mentioned something about an additional $10
> voucher. In addition to the $30 for switching long distance.
> I think it was because I was a new customer to Optus
> or something, I didn't really understand it.

Yeah, my droidette did too, forget what it was for, didnt
try to pin it down coz someone showed up with a dead PC.

> Anyway, so that means the effective cost
> in the right situation is now just $40! :-)

And an interest free deferred payment too, stupid buggers |-)

> I feel sorry for them really.

I dont, happy to pump their pockets |-)

> Ok folks, so anyone who wants to sign up and get $20 credit,
> email me (remove the nosppaam). Or if you have an existing
> Optus customer who is a friend, get their phone number or
> account number so that they get the other $20 credit!

> You wouldn't believe the trouble I've been having getting my relos to
> sign up for this. Even when offering to pay the $120 upfront myself!!!

The chinese are the asian jews |-)

Paul Edwards

Jan 29, 2001, 9:05:33 PM1/29/01
I just rang up Optus on 1800 501 062 and asked if the deal
was still on. The guy said it expired on 28th. I said that the
web page said 31st. He put me through to a different area.
They told me it had been extended to 9th Feb! :-) I asked
them to update their web page with the new expiry date.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 29, 2001, 10:22:26 PM1/29/01

> I just rang up Optus on 1800 501 062 and asked if the deal
> was still on. The guy said it expired on 28th. I said that the
> web page said 31st. He put me through to a different area.
> They told me it had been extended to 9th Feb! :-)

They're different deals. The one that expired on Sunday was
with OptusWorld. The one on the web site is with OptusDirect.

They aint the same.

I appear to have been charged $1. It looks like the number I was
told to ring on WogDay was OptusDirect, coz OptusWorld was shut.

> I asked them to update their web page with the new expiry date.

Gunna be interesting to see if they bother.

Bit suspicious that it was only pushed back a week, likely they're running out.

Paul Edwards

Jan 29, 2001, 11:17:10 PM1/29/01

> > I just rang up Optus on 1800 501 062 and asked if the deal
> > was still on. The guy said it expired on 28th. I said that the
> > web page said 31st. He put me through to a different area.
> > They told me it had been extended to 9th Feb! :-)
>
> They're different deals. The one that expired on Sunday was
> with OptusWorld. The one on the web site is with OptusDirect.
>
> They aint the same.

Then how come when I rang Optus Direct on the above number,
the first person I spoke to thought the deal had expired on 28th?

> I appear to have been charged $1. It looks like the number I was

I don't feel so ripped off now. :-)

I didn't get my scheduled delivery today though. I rang up and
they said that they couldn't do it, so I'm trying for Thursday now.

BFN. Paul.

Jeff Stryker

Jan 29, 2001, 11:27:01 PM1/29/01
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:22:26 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I appear to have been charged $1. It looks like the number I was
>told to ring on WogDay was OptusDirect, coz OptusWorld was shut.

Anyone else want Rod's home address?

Rod Speed

Jan 30, 2001, 12:19:27 AM1/30/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> I just rang up Optus on 1800 501 062 and asked if the deal
>>> was still on. The guy said it expired on 28th. I said that the
>>> web page said 31st. He put me through to a different area.
>>> They told me it had been extended to 9th Feb! :-)

>> They're different deals. The one that expired on Sunday was
>> with OptusWorld. The one on the web site is with OptusDirect.

>> They aint the same.

> Then how come when I rang Optus Direct on the above number,
> the first person I spoke to thought the deal had expired on 28th?

Some stupid who doesnt have a clue.

>> I appear to have been charged $1. It looks like the number I was

> I don't feel so ripped off now. :-)

Havent checked the credit card yet.

> I didn't get my scheduled delivery today though.
> I rang up and they said that they couldn't do it,

Nice of them to ring you and tell you in advance.

> so I'm trying for Thursday now.

Sacrifice some chickens and grovel towards Mecca.

Paul Edwards

Jan 31, 2001, 8:18:22 AM1/31/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ads in the paper claim that the offer of 'yes' Value 5 plan,
> $5/month for 24 months for the

Oh, since you've actually got your phone, what's the whacky
$10 voucher all about? Is it a piece of paper and you ring
them up and ask them to credit it to your mobile or what?

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 31, 2001, 4:37:36 PM1/31/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>> Ads in the paper claim that the offer of 'yes' Value 5 plan,
>> $5/month for 24 months for the

> Oh, since you've actually got your phone, what's the whacky
> $10 voucher all about? Is it a piece of paper and you ring
> them up and ask them to credit it to your mobile or what?

Dunno, I appear to have missed out on that. Someone rocked up
with a broken PC at the time I was on the phone ordering the 5110.
The droidette did say something about that but I didnt take much
notice and cant remember what she said about it. I certainly dont
have any voucher.

The droidette did say that the $30 for long distance calls on
my landline would show up on the mobile bill in a month or so.

I wasnt aware of the $20 credit for 'Introduce a Friend' when
I signed up, only became aware of it after I had signed up.

I notice you said somewhere else that the $10 is for using Optus
for the first time. I did use optus for long distance calls just after
they started reselling Telstra long distance calls, years ago.
Not sure if that means I wouldnt qualify anyway. Likely.

Paul Edwards

Jan 31, 2001, 7:10:25 PM1/31/01

> > Oh, since you've actually got your phone, what's the whacky
> > $10 voucher all about? Is it a piece of paper and you ring
> > them up and ask them to credit it to your mobile or what?
>
> I notice you said somewhere else that the $10 is for using Optus
> for the first time. I did use optus for long distance calls just after

That was my vague recollection of what it sounded like, yes.
They've got 1 hour to deliver it before they're late again!

> they started reselling Telstra long distance calls, years ago.
> Not sure if that means I wouldnt qualify anyway. Likely.

Actually I did that too. I thought you said that they DID mention
the $10 to you on the phone, so since you haven't got it, you
should probably ring up and complain.

By the way, we now have a FOURTH date. The web page
http://www.optus.com.au/shop/hottestdeals
has 15/2/1 as the expiry date. Unfortunately the 3210 still
has an expiry date of 31/1/1, so don't know what the story
is there.

Anyway, that gives me a little more breathing space.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Jan 31, 2001, 8:52:22 PM1/31/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Oh, since you've actually got your phone, what's the whacky
>>> $10 voucher all about? Is it a piece of paper and you ring
>>> them up and ask them to credit it to your mobile or what?

>> I notice you said somewhere else that
>> the $10 is for using Optus for the first time.

> That was my vague recollection of what it sounded like, yes.

> They've got 1 hour to deliver it before they're late again!

Yeah, mine was a tad late, about 30 mins.

>> I did use optus for long distance calls just after they

>> started reselling Telstra long distance calls, years ago.
>> Not sure if that means I wouldnt qualify anyway. Likely.

> Actually I did that too. I thought you said that
> they DID mention the $10 to you on the phone,

Yes. But it must have been in a context that wasnt relevant
because while I did sign up for the long distance calls using
their fancy voice recording system, I didnt for the $10

> so since you haven't got it, you should probably ring up and complain.

Might chase up what its for sometime.

Still havent had a chance to chase up with Telstra why the
original Caller ID came back with calls diverted from the landline.

> By the way, we now have a FOURTH date.

Wota shambles that operation is.

> The web page http://www.optus.com.au/shop/hottestdeals
> has 15/2/1 as the expiry date. Unfortunately the 3210 still
> has an expiry date of 31/1/1,

Not now, its got 28/01/01 now.

> so don't know what the story is there.

Presumably everyone and his dog is fiddling with it.

> Anyway, that gives me a little more breathing space.

Yeah, order that gross.

Paul Edwards

Jan 31, 2001, 11:33:24 PM1/31/01

> > That was my vague recollection of what it sounded like, yes.
> > They've got 1 hour to deliver it before they're late again!
>
> Yeah, mine was a tad late, about 30 mins.

Failed delivery again. They are blaming yesterday's rain.
I was on the road when that was happening, it did bucket
down and traffic was horrendous.

> Yes. But it must have been in a context that wasnt relevant
> because while I did sign up for the long distance calls using
> their fancy voice recording system, I didnt for the $10
>
> > so since you haven't got it, you should probably ring up and complain.
>
> Might chase up what its for sometime.

You'd think someone else here might have ordered one and
asked them more questions about it and report back here?!

> Still havent had a chance to chase up with Telstra why the
> original Caller ID came back with calls diverted from the landline.

Better hurry up and do it before it disappears again and they say
it is impossible. Better demonstrate it to all those who say it is
impossible too, so that they can do something about getting it
spread everywhere else.

> > By the way, we now have a FOURTH date.
>
> Wota shambles that operation is.
>
> > The web page http://www.optus.com.au/shop/hottestdeals
> > has 15/2/1 as the expiry date. Unfortunately the 3210 still
> > has an expiry date of 31/1/1,
>
> Not now, its got 28/01/01 now.

28/2/1 actually.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 1, 2001, 7:11:03 PM2/1/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> That was my vague recollection of what it sounded like, yes.
>>> They've got 1 hour to deliver it before they're late again!

>> Yeah, mine was a tad late, about 30 mins.

> Failed delivery again. They are blaming yesterday's
> rain. I was on the road when that was happening,
> it did bucket down and traffic was horrendous.

Yeah, did look a tad damp. Hope you carry an inflatable dinghy
around in that bag of security blankets you carry everywhere.

You could use the inflatable doll at a pinch, I guess.

>> Yes. But it must have been in a context that wasnt relevant
>> because while I did sign up for the long distance calls using
>> their fancy voice recording system, I didnt for the $10

>>> so since you haven't got it, you should probably ring up and complain.

>> Might chase up what its for sometime.

Turns out that the $10 is an alternative for the $30 which is
more recent. They include the $10 voucher with all the phones
they flog, still for signing up your landline long distance calls with
Optus. When you order by phone with Optus Direct at least, the
droid offers you the $30 offer while you're on the phone. So
you dont get the $10 voucher with the phone when it shows up.

That explains why I didnt get it, it wasnt relevant,
she must have just mentioned it in passing.

So in summary, the cash cost is $120 for the $5*24 months,
less $30 if you sign up on the phone to have your long distance
landline calls with Optus, less $20 if you quote an existing
Optus mobile customer's mobile number or account number.

And still time payment over 24 months. And you may well be
able to add more $20 credits for new suckers sucked in too.

> You'd think someone else here might have ordered one and
> asked them more questions about it and report back here?!

>> Still havent had a chance to chase up with Telstra why the
>> original Caller ID came back with calls diverted from the landline.

> Better hurry up and do it before it disappears
> again and they say it is impossible.

Tried today. The fault record isnt good enough for them to
be able to work out who the fella who called me was, or which
part of Telstra he was from. I do have his name, but for some
bizarre reason, even tho his name is unusual enough that there
is only one, they cant even just look him up in their internal directory
etc. He is there but with just 'Team Leader' listed against his
name, no number and no part of Telstra listed there either.

They're absolutely swamped with fault reports due to all that
rain, so I'll leave it till next week and have another go then.

> Better demonstrate it to all those who say it is impossible too, so
> that they can do something about getting it spread everywhere else.

Yeah, and even just report here what the problem was due to.

Paul Edwards

Feb 1, 2001, 10:55:18 PM2/1/01

> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message
> > Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

> >> Yeah, mine was a tad late, about 30 mins.
>
> > Failed delivery again. They are blaming yesterday's
> > rain. I was on the road when that was happening,
> > it did bucket down and traffic was horrendous.

Got it today at 1pm!

> >> Might chase up what its for sometime.
>
> Turns out that the $10 is an alternative for the $30 which is
> more recent. They include the $10 voucher with all the phones
> they flog, still for signing up your landline long distance calls with
> Optus. When you order by phone with Optus Direct at least, the
> droid offers you the $30 offer while you're on the phone. So

My droid explicitly said that I got the $30 AND the $10.

> you dont get the $10 voucher with the phone when it shows up.

So when I activated my phone I asked about the $10, and they
said it should have been sent out, and they would send it out.

> So in summary, the cash cost is $120 for the $5*24 months,
> less $30 if you sign up on the phone to have your long distance
> landline calls with Optus, less $20 if you quote an existing
> Optus mobile customer's mobile number or account number.

I think you should really count the friend/relo's $20 in the equation,
it is money being handed out by Optus, and if they're a friend,
you can use that in place of birthday presents for the next 20
years.

So $50. What you really need is a long chain of friends, so that
everyone gets it for $50.

> >> Still havent had a chance to chase up with Telstra why the
> >> original Caller ID came back with calls diverted from the landline.
>
> > Better hurry up and do it before it disappears
> > again and they say it is impossible.
>
> Tried today. The fault record isnt good enough for them to
> be able to work out who the fella who called me was, or which
> part of Telstra he was from. I do have his name, but for some
> bizarre reason, even tho his name is unusual enough that there
> is only one, they cant even just look him up in their internal directory
> etc. He is there but with just 'Team Leader' listed against his
> name, no number and no part of Telstra listed there either.

I'm not actually with Telstra. Otherwise I could probably ring
up and complain that my own isn't working properly, and I
know this dope-smoking bush-basher who's got it working fine,
although admittedly I do only have his word for it, and he's
been known to foam at the mouth a lot whilst hyperventilating.

BFN. Paul.

Paul Edwards

Feb 1, 2001, 11:00:32 PM2/1/01
Oh yeah, forgot to mention some things.

1. The new phone has a black keypad with white writing on it,
instead of my normal white background, black writing. I don't
like the new style. I'll have to swap it with my wife or something.

2. The leather case is an extremely tight fit!

3. The portable hands free is the style I like though.

And can someone tell me what the deal with charging is. As
soon as it says "fully charged", does that mean there is nothing
to be gained by leaving it charging for 12-24 hours? Last time
I asked this, someone reckoned that charging for that large
number of hours was good for the NiMH (slight) memory effect.
But surely after the bar has stopped moving, there's going to
be no further change?!

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 1, 2001, 11:26:16 PM2/1/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Failed delivery again. They are blaming yesterday's
>>> rain. I was on the road when that was happening,
>>> it did bucket down and traffic was horrendous.

> Got it today at 1pm!

Hope you gave the courier fella a good kicking.

I took pity on mine, looked like he could barely read.

His knuckles left drag marks in the leaf litter around the house.

>> Turns out that the $10 is an alternative for the $30 which is
>> more recent. They include the $10 voucher with all the phones
>> they flog, still for signing up your landline long distance calls with
>> Optus. When you order by phone with Optus Direct at least, the
>> droid offers you the $30 offer while you're on the phone. So

> My droid explicitly said that I got the $30 AND the $10.

>> you dont get the $10 voucher with the phone when it shows up.

> So when I activated my phone I asked about the $10, and they
> said it should have been sent out, and they would send it out.

OK, might as well rip them off even more. They're a packa poms after all.

>> So in summary, the cash cost is $120 for the $5*24 months,
>> less $30 if you sign up on the phone to have your long distance
>> landline calls with Optus, less $20 if you quote an existing
>> Optus mobile customer's mobile number or account number.

> I think you should really count the friend/relo's $20 in the equation,
> it is money being handed out by Optus, and if they're a friend, you
> can use that in place of birthday presents for the next 20 years.

Dont bother with presents, havent for decades.

Bit of a problem with your slitty eyed relos tho, they're really into them.

> So $50. What you really need is a long chain
> of friends, so that everyone gets it for $50.

Shouldnt that be a rabble of rather than a chain of ? Packa ?

>>> Better hurry up and do it before it disappears
>>> again and they say it is impossible.

>> Tried today. The fault record isnt good enough for them to
>> be able to work out who the fella who called me was, or which
>> part of Telstra he was from. I do have his name, but for some
>> bizarre reason, even tho his name is unusual enough that there
>> is only one, they cant even just look him up in their internal directory
>> etc. He is there but with just 'Team Leader' listed against his
>> name, no number and no part of Telstra listed there either.

> I'm not actually with Telstra. Otherwise I could probably
> ring up and complain that my own isn't working properly,

Yeah, I'd change back to them for a month to get that myself.
But then you dont divert to the mobile anything like as much as I
do since you've got cable. Handy for when you're out of the unit tho.

> and I know this dope-smoking bush-basher who's got it working
> fine, although admittedly I do only have his word for it, and he's
> been known to foam at the mouth a lot whilst hyperventilating.

Down boy.

Rod Speed

Feb 1, 2001, 11:32:46 PM2/1/01

> Oh yeah, forgot to mention some things.

You've been gorging on those lollys again havent you ? We can tell.

> 1. The new phone has a black keypad with white writing
> on it, instead of my normal white background, black writing.

Yeah, thats coz its a 5110e, not a 5110.

> I don't like the new style.

I prefer the 5110e appearance myself.

> I'll have to swap it with my wife or something.

> 2. The leather case is an extremely tight fit!

Havent even bothered to open the box. I dont use
those at all. It is better if you drop stuff, but I dont.

> 3. The portable hands free is the style I like though.

Dont use them either.

> And can someone tell me what the deal with charging is.
> As soon as it says "fully charged", does that mean there
> is nothing to be gained by leaving it charging for 12-24 hours?

Yes.

> Last time I asked this, someone reckoned that charging for that large
> number of hours was good for the NiMH (slight) memory effect.

That was the original recommendation with a new battery.

The book didnt say anything about it so likely it doesnt apply to NiMH.

> But surely after the bar has stopped moving,
> there's going to be no further change?!

Its more complicated than that, particularly with the original GSM
battery systems which should be treated like that on their first charge.

Paul Edwards

Feb 2, 2001, 1:09:53 AM2/2/01

> > Got it today at 1pm!
>
> Hope you gave the courier fella a good kicking.

Oh, he only asked for drivers licence, so that's all I gave
him too. I think they don't give a shit and are very busy.

> > So when I activated my phone I asked about the $10, and they
> > said it should have been sent out, and they would send it out.
>
> OK, might as well rip them off even more. They're a packa poms after all.

I hope I don't get the $10 INSTEAD of the $30!!!

> >> So in summary, the cash cost is $120 for the $5*24 months,
> >> less $30 if you sign up on the phone to have your long distance
> >> landline calls with Optus, less $20 if you quote an existing
> >> Optus mobile customer's mobile number or account number.
>
> > I think you should really count the friend/relo's $20 in the equation,
> > it is money being handed out by Optus, and if they're a friend, you
> > can use that in place of birthday presents for the next 20 years.
>
> Dont bother with presents, havent for decades.

Ok then, go around to you're friend's house and beat the shit
out of him until he hands over the other $20. Or at least get
him to hand over $10 for your business. Whatever. Or say
that that's $20 worth of "favours" he owes you for the future.
It's real money being handed out by Optus, at least if it really
can be used to pay off the $5/month charge.

> Bit of a problem with your slitty eyed relos tho, they're really into
them.

She didn't want to take a $120 gift from me, and I asked her
how long she'd known me, she said 10 years, how many gifts
had I given her in that time? She thought I'd given her an XT,
but I told her that was a loaner, in another decade I might ask
for it back. And I wouldn't be giving her anything for the next
10 years either. This was it!

> > I'm not actually with Telstra. Otherwise I could probably
> > ring up and complain that my own isn't working properly,
>
> Yeah, I'd change back to them for a month to get that myself.
> But then you dont divert to the mobile anything like as much as I
> do since you've got cable. Handy for when you're out of the unit tho.

Well at least make sure you have SOMEONE else who you
know who is working properly, so you can reference them
in future. You can give them my number when you ring up,
and say that I'm complaining mine doesn't work properly too.
I doubt One.Tel have anything to do with the fact that it
doesn't work.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 2, 2001, 3:55:39 AM2/2/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Got it today at 1pm!

>> Hope you gave the courier fella a good kicking.

> Oh, he only asked for drivers licence, so that's all I gave
> him too. I think they don't give a shit and are very busy.

Yeah, figures I guess.

>>> So when I activated my phone I asked about the $10, and they
>>> said it should have been sent out, and they would send it out.

>> OK, might as well rip them off even more. They're a packa poms after all.

> I hope I don't get the $10 INSTEAD of the $30!!!

Yeah, I might refrain from sending mine back until
the $30 credit shows up on my mobile account.

>>> I think you should really count the friend/relo's $20 in the equation,
>>> it is money being handed out by Optus, and if they're a friend, you
>>> can use that in place of birthday presents for the next 20 years.

>> Dont bother with presents, havent for decades.

> Ok then, go around to you're friend's house and beat
> the shit out of him until he hands over the other $20.

Yeah, thats more my style.

> Or at least get him to hand over $10 for your business.
> Whatever. Or say that that's $20 worth of "favours" he owes
> you for the future. It's real money being handed out by Optus,
> at least if it really can be used to pay off the $5/month charge.

One bugger did put his dingoblue signup up for auction in
usenet. He used the referral number of the 'person' who
would hand over the biggest chunk of his own $60 credit |-)

>> Bit of a problem with your slitty eyed relos tho, they're really into them.

> She didn't want to take a $120 gift from me, and I asked
> her how long she'd known me, she said 10 years, how
> many gifts had I given her in that time? She thought I'd
> given her an XT, but I told her that was a loaner, in another
> decade I might ask for it back. And I wouldn't be giving
> her anything for the next 10 years either. This was it!

You're done for now boy, she's guaranteed to have run out
as soon as you left and ordered bad Feng-Shui for you.

I think they sacrifice a small child to Kong Qiu or sumfin.

>>> I'm not actually with Telstra. Otherwise I could probably
>>> ring up and complain that my own isn't working properly,

>> Yeah, I'd change back to them for a month to get that myself.
>> But then you dont divert to the mobile anything like as much as I
>> do since you've got cable. Handy for when you're out of the unit tho.

> Well at least make sure you have SOMEONE else who you
> know who is working properly, so you can reference them
> in future. You can give them my number when you ring up,
> and say that I'm complaining mine doesn't work properly too.

True, worth a try.

> I doubt One.Tel have anything to do with the fact that it doesn't work.

Yeah, they basically just told me to fuck off. I monstered them
pretty comprehensively too, right up to team leader level, more
than one of those too. The poor buggers are probably still hiding
under their bed and wake screaming in the night.

Paul Edwards

Feb 2, 2001, 4:40:55 AM2/2/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> OK, might as well rip them off even more. They're a packa poms after
all.

> > I hope I don't get the $10 INSTEAD of the $30!!!
>
> Yeah, I might refrain from sending mine back until
> the $30 credit shows up on my mobile account.

They said they would send one out, did they? What did you
say, "I know someone else who got one" or "I was told I
would get one"?

> > Well at least make sure you have SOMEONE else who you
> > know who is working properly, so you can reference them
> > in future. You can give them my number when you ring up,
> > and say that I'm complaining mine doesn't work properly too.
>
> True, worth a try.

And make it someone not on your own exchange too!!! :-)

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 2, 2001, 5:47:03 AM2/2/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> I hope I don't get the $10 INSTEAD of the $30!!!

>> Yeah, I might refrain from sending mine back until
>> the $30 credit shows up on my mobile account.

> They said they would send one out, did they?

Havent asked yet.

> What did you say, "I know someone else
> who got one" or "I was told I would get one"?

I'll just say 'I was supposed to get a voucher for $10 with the phone'

Always better to say it absolutely, let them try to deny that.

>>> Well at least make sure you have SOMEONE else who you
>>> know who is working properly, so you can reference them
>>> in future. You can give them my number when you ring up,
>>> and say that I'm complaining mine doesn't work properly too.

>> True, worth a try.

> And make it someone not on your own exchange too!!! :-)

Yeah, I meant try it with yours.

Paul Edwards

Feb 2, 2001, 6:07:37 AM2/2/01
"Rod Speed" <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote in message
> > Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

> >> Yeah, I might refrain from sending mine back until
> >> the $30 credit shows up on my mobile account.
>
> > They said they would send one out, did they?
>
> Havent asked yet.

New development! I got a letter in the mail saying thanks for
being in a "further" 12 month contract with Optus. I rang up
and asked what the hell they were talking about. It was either
0 or 24, make up your mind.

The first guy said it was a mistake/typo. I said I wanted to
speak with whoever sent it out then, so they transferred me.

That guy reckoned that for the next 12 months, I will get $10/month,
ie a total of $120, for free, because I'd joined up to long distance
and mobile at the same time.

I find that incredibly unbelievable, but if it is true, I will be using
weapons on my relos next time I see them until they sign up.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 2, 2001, 6:19:56 AM2/2/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> They said they would send one out, did they?

>> Havent asked yet.

> New development!

Bugger, you could have at least have had the common decency
to send me an SMS to warn me to adjust my seatbelt or sumfin.

> I got a letter in the mail saying thanks for being
> in a "further" 12 month contract with Optus.

Why didnt they send me one ? I signed up long before you did.

I'm gunna molotov Optus HQ for that.

> I rang up and asked what the hell they were talking
> about. It was either 0 or 24, make up your mind.

> The first guy said it was a mistake/typo. I said I wanted to
> speak with whoever sent it out then, so they transferred me.

> That guy reckoned that for the next 12 months, I will
> get $10/month, ie a total of $120, for free, because I'd
> joined up to long distance and mobile at the same time.

Fark, hard to believe that even Optus could be that stupid.

> I find that incredibly unbelievable,

Yeah, me too.

> but if it is true, I will be using weapons on my
> relos next time I see them until they sign up.

Yeah, I would. Just watch out tho, they're sposed
to be into using meat cleavers when they run amok.

Hope you dont faint at the sight of blood.

Paul Edwards

Feb 2, 2001, 9:20:38 AM2/2/01

> > New development!
>
> Bugger, you could have at least have had the common decency
> to send me an SMS to warn me to adjust my seatbelt or sumfin.
>
> > I got a letter in the mail saying thanks for being
> > in a "further" 12 month contract with Optus.
>
> Why didnt they send me one ? I signed up long before you did.

We both signed up on the weekend. They wouldn't have sent
the letter until Monday.

My letter was delivered by a mail truck.

Your letter is still being delivered via donkey.

> > That guy reckoned that for the next 12 months, I will
> > get $10/month, ie a total of $120, for free, because I'd
> > joined up to long distance and mobile at the same time.
>
> Fark, hard to believe that even Optus could be that stupid.

I don't know whether that goes on my mobile or LD bill.
With a bit of luck, it is a combined account, so it applies
to whichever I use first!

> > I find that incredibly unbelievable,
>
> Yeah, me too.

Well let us know if you have any luck getting to the bottom
of that when you claim your historic right to $10/month!

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 2, 2001, 2:47:49 PM2/2/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Edwards <kerr...@nosppaam.w3.to> wrote

>>> New development!

>> Bugger, you could have at least have had the common decency
>> to send me an SMS to warn me to adjust my seatbelt or sumfin.

>>> I got a letter in the mail saying thanks for being
>>> in a "further" 12 month contract with Optus.

>> Why didnt they send me one ? I signed up long before you did.

> We both signed up on the weekend.

That was one of those funky things often called a joke, Joyce.

> They wouldn't have sent the letter until Monday.

Still should have got here by now. I ordered the data cable
late on the Monday, it was posted on Tuesday, it turned up
on Wdnesday, and it was a parcel, which is a little slower
than a letter. Wasnt Express Post Parcel either.

> My letter was delivered by a mail truck.

Thats just because you scare the posty shitless.
They have goons with shotguns in the back of that truck.

> Your letter is still being delivered via donkey.

The RSPCA wont allow that.

>>> That guy reckoned that for the next 12 months, I will
>>> get $10/month, ie a total of $120, for free, because I'd
>>> joined up to long distance and mobile at the same time.

>> Fark, hard to believe that even Optus could be that stupid.

> I don't know whether that goes on my mobile or LD bill. With a bit of
> luck, it is a combined account, so it applies to whichever I use first!

Yeah. Still hard to believe they could actually be that stupid tho.

>>> I find that incredibly unbelievable,

>> Yeah, me too.

> Well let us know if you have any luck getting to the bottom
> of that when you claim your historic right to $10/month!

OK.

Paul Edwards

Feb 3, 2001, 7:42:39 PM2/3/01

> >> Fark, hard to believe that even Optus could be that stupid.

I signed up the next relative today, this time paying him $121
in advance instead of $120.

But when I spoke to the woman on the phone, making sure
he got everything, I said does he also get the $10/month
for 12 months thing, and she said no, that was only on the
Yes 20 or something. I said that I got it on the 5, and she
said I shouldn't have. So I just let it slide.

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 3, 2001, 9:30:51 PM2/3/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

> I signed up the next relative today, this time
> paying him $121 in advance instead of $120.

> But when I spoke to the woman on the phone, making sure he got
> everything, I said does he also get the $10/month for 12 months
> thing, and she said no, that was only on the Yes 20 or something.
> I said that I got it on the 5, and she said I shouldn't have.

That makes a lot more sense.

> So I just let it slide.

Yeah, makes sense.

Paul Edwards

Feb 4, 2001, 5:18:07 AM2/4/01

> > I signed up the next relative today, this time
> > paying him $121 in advance instead of $120.

And got the last relo today! I got them to introduce a friend
in a chain, ie I introduced A, A introduced B, B introduced C.

The last relo was the hardest to convince. I (genuinely)
threatened to chuck their son of a bridge if they didn't
take my money and sign up. I'm not sure if this is a
violation of Optus's terms and conditions for "introduce
a hostage".

BFN. Paul.

Rod Speed

Feb 4, 2001, 5:31:18 AM2/4/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> I signed up the next relative today, this time
>>> paying him $121 in advance instead of $120.

> And got the last relo today!

Soorreee, not good enough, 142 to go.

> I got them to introduce a friend in a chain, ie
> I introduced A, A introduced B, B introduced C.

I've reported you to the RSPMCTCFBMP

> The last relo was the hardest to convince. I (genuinely) threatened to
> chuck their son of a bridge if they didn't take my money and sign up.

Dont believe it was a genuine threat. And it probably
hates the brat anyway, so that doesnt qualify.

> I'm not sure if this is a violation of Optus's terms
> and conditions for "introduce a hostage".

Nope, the brat is the hostage, stupid.

Paul Edwards

Feb 4, 2001, 6:30:49 AM2/4/01

> > I got them to introduce a friend in a chain, ie
> > I introduced A, A introduced B, B introduced C.
>
> I've reported you to the RSPMCTCFBMP

Royal Society for the Prevention of Mass Cruelty To
Chinese Friends Buyers of Mobile Phones???

> > The last relo was the hardest to convince. I (genuinely) threatened to
> > chuck their son of a bridge if they didn't take my money and sign up.
>
> Dont believe it was a genuine threat. And it probably

I meant that I genuinely made the threat, not that it was a
genuine threat. Luckily they laughed, on the spur of the
moment I wasn't able to come up with something that
was witty and understandable to people who barely
comprehended English.

> hates the brat anyway, so that doesnt qualify.

You don't know many Chinese, do you?

> > I'm not sure if this is a violation of Optus's terms
> > and conditions for "introduce a hostage".
>
> Nope, the brat is the hostage, stupid.

You try to come up with something more witty than "introduce

Rod Speed

Feb 4, 2001, 4:05:28 PM2/4/01

> Rod Speed <rod_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> I got them to introduce a friend in a chain, ie
>>> I introduced A, A introduced B, B introduced C.

>> I've reported you to the RSPMCTCFBMP

> Royal Society for the Prevention of Mass Cruelty
> To Chinese Friends Buyers of Mobile Phones???

Pathetic really, try harder boy.

>>> The last relo was the hardest to convince. I (genuinely) threatened to
>>> chuck their son of a bridge if they didn't take my money and sign up.

>> Dont believe it was a genuine threat.

> I meant that I genuinely made the threat, not that it was a

> genuine threat. Luckily they laughed, on the spur of the moment
> I wasn't able to come up with something that was witty and
> understandable to people who barely comprehended English.

>> And it probably hates the brat anyway, so that doesnt qualify.

> You don't know many Chinese, do you?

More than you do actually.

>>> I'm not sure if this is a violation of Optus's terms
>>> and conditions for "introduce a hostage".

>> Nope, the brat is the hostage, stupid.

> You try to come up with something more witty than "introduce a hostage".

Do it in every single sentence thanks.

Paul Edwards

Feb 13, 2001, 5:20:02 AM2/13/01
I got my first Optus bill today, and the $30 credit for switching
LD WAS used against my $5/month!!!

Top stuff, Octopussy!

As they say, bust a deal, face the wheel!

Oh, and SMS do cost 20c (inc GST), which makes it the
cheapest SMS I have when Virgin ceases to provide that
for free to me. Incidentally, still got the Virgin credit from
the beginning of the year.

BFN. Paul.