Register of 19 premium SMS numbers?

google...@sensation.net.au

May 5, 2006, 7:00:46 AM5/5/06
Is there an easy way to find out who owns a 19 SMS number? My wife has
been hit with the "enter a competition and get subscribed" scam to the
tune of nearly $40 on our latest bill - and she's apparently still
subscribed! The number is 193 666 but I can't find any reference to it
via google.

Is it worth trying to contest this? It's time someone steps in and
regulates the mobile content subscription industry. Some of the ads I
see on TV end up charging you over $50 per month if you don't realise
you have to unsubscribe. In this case I don't think my wife was even
receiving any meaningful content, just an invitation to enter the next
contest - and each invitation msg she received was charged $3.18...

Spokes

May 5, 2006, 7:59:04 AM5/5/06
Who is your carrier? Telstra?

Dean Collins

May 5, 2006, 8:18:32 AM5/5/06
in the USA there isn't one but a guy set up this site as a privately run
group www.usshortcodeswhois.com

I'm surprised someone hasn't done something similar in Australia.

I'm also surprised Australia hasn't required a double opt-in as a method of
preventing this crap.

Dean

<google...@sensation.net.au> wrote in message

google...@sensation.net.au

May 5, 2006, 8:26:42 AM5/5/06
Spokes wrote:
> Who is your carrier? Telstra?

Optus. I know they can provide the info (we had a premium inbound SMS
charged to a virtual number that wasn't associated with a SIM - figure
that one out?) but I'm probably not going to have much luck getting the
info on a friday night or the weekend. :)

Jeremy Quirke

May 5, 2006, 11:04:02 AM5/5/06

<google...@sensation.net.au> wrote in message

I'm not a fan of over regulation, but if we must regulate something then it
had better be these premium SMS blood sucking parasites. I think I posted my
woes about being involuntarily being subscribed on a website that accepted
any mobile number without proof it was the person entering it.

Anyway now I too have been hit by the competition-and-get-subscribed scam; I
was stupid enough to see a competition on TV and give in to the "what the
heck" impulse. Ever since I keep getting "follow up" trivia questions etc...
no "to opt out REPLY STOP" at the end of the SMS or anything like that.
Before Rod Speed and the like accuse me of being pig-ignorant, I did read
the blurry fine print on screen..

Nick W

May 5, 2006, 9:12:53 PM5/5/06

The number appears to be owned by Netsize Pty Ltd.
Their website (netsize.com) gives a contact number of 1300650521 for
their Australian office.

-Nick

Message has been deleted

Michael

May 6, 2006, 9:29:59 AM5/6/06

<google...@sensation.net.au> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to find out who owns a 19 SMS number? My wife has
> been hit with the "enter a competition and get subscribed" scam to the
> tune of nearly $40 on our latest bill - and she's apparently still
> subscribed! The number is 193 666 but I can't find any reference to it

Message STOP back to the number.

> via google.
>
> Is it worth trying to contest this? It's time someone steps in and

Yes

> regulates the mobile content subscription industry. Some of the ads I
> see on TV end up charging you over $50 per month if you don't realise
> you have to unsubscribe. In this case I don't think my wife was even

Its absolutely ridiculous I agree, $10 per message per week is crap

Michael

May 6, 2006, 9:30:31 AM5/6/06

<google...@sensation.net.au> wrote in message

With Telstra, the vendor of the service appears on your bill with a contact
number. Not sure whether Optus provide this service

Kwyjibo.

May 6, 2006, 11:11:59 AM5/6/06
"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Which means fuck all. The charge appears on your bill from Telstra. As it's
their bill, *they* are the ones who have to justify the charge. The onus is
not on the end user to chase it up.

--
Kwyj

google...@sensation.net.au

May 6, 2006, 11:33:38 AM5/6/06

Nup. We didn't even get an itemisation of each SMS - just a msg count,
unit cost and total $. Pretty poor really. I only found out the number
by getting my wife to check her phone.

When we had the premium SMS sent to a virtual number the person at
Optus was a little "reluctant" to refund the charge and then said it
was as a goodwill gesture. This was after I had explained that the
number in question was not even linked to a mobile phone or a SIM card;
it's a back2base number which allows us to call a specified landline
for a lower rate. Hopefully I won't be greeted with the same
"enthusiasm" when I call them about this scam......

Michael

May 6, 2006, 8:58:57 PM5/6/06

> > > Optus. I know they can provide the info (we had a premium inbound SMS
> > > charged to a virtual number that wasn't associated with a SIM - figure
> > > that one out?) but I'm probably not going to have much luck getting
the
> > > info on a friday night or the weekend. :)
> >
> > With Telstra, the vendor of the service appears on your bill with a
contact
> > number. Not sure whether Optus provide this service
>
> Nup. We didn't even get an itemisation of each SMS - just a msg count,
> unit cost and total $. Pretty poor really. I only found out the number
> by getting my wife to check her phone.

Im talking about post bill, are you?
If so, thats pretty crap billing from Optus

Michael

May 6, 2006, 8:58:12 PM5/6/06

"Kwyjibo." <kwy...@Removeozdebate.com> wrote in message

Sorry, not how it stands at present for any carrier

Simon Templar

May 6, 2006, 10:39:54 PM5/6/06
Josh B wrote:

> But ask your carrier. If it's Telstra they are about to change their
> policy to take up these matters on behalf of their customers. Previously
> they told their customers to contact the service provider in question.

Which is the way it should be! The company that is billing you are the
one's that have to justify the expense, especially when they let these
premium services hide behind them with fuck all accountability and
bugger contact details!

--
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

Rod Speed

May 6, 2006, 11:24:01 PM5/6/06

Irrelevant to the law on that, you stupid pig ignorant dunny cleaning fuckwit child.

Mike

May 7, 2006, 9:32:18 AM5/7/06
Josh B wrote:
> But ask your carrier. If it's Telstra they are about to change their
> policy to take up these matters on behalf of their customers. Previously
> they told their customers to contact the service provider in question.

If they do that, then go direct to the TIO. It's the only way to get the
telecos to listen. Don't waste your time attempting to contact the scammers.

Kwyjibo.

May 7, 2006, 10:21:46 AM5/7/06
"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The carriers get no say in it.

--
Kwyj

google...@sensation.net.au

May 7, 2006, 11:11:03 AM5/7/06
Michael wrote:
> > Nup. We didn't even get an itemisation of each SMS - just a msg count,
> > unit cost and total $. Pretty poor really. I only found out the number
> > by getting my wife to check her phone.
>
> Im talking about post bill, are you?
> If so, thats pretty crap billing from Optus

Yep, post-paid business. Non premium SMSs are not itemised either. So
we have a bill that shows we've been charged for X units, but no idea
who, why (well, kinda ;) ) or when. I wonder how many are lurking on
the next bill.

Blondie

May 7, 2006, 8:16:52 PM5/7/06
Is your wife fat, does she wear trakky dacks, does she wear moccasins and
does she have some of her breakfast down the front of her shirt, does she
eat lots of potato chips and spend a lot of time at the pokies as well ?

thegoons

May 8, 2006, 4:14:04 AM5/8/06

"Michael" <mic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
You never ever did consumer law 101 did you dunnychild?

Message has been deleted

MadMikey

May 8, 2006, 10:34:24 AM5/8/06
I've been sucked into something I never knew about, it was costing $24
per week cost me almost $100 in the month before I got my bill, tried
SMS Stop to number, still didn't do shit, kept getting the shit, called
my carrier (vodafone) the blocked the number from my service and said
they would chase it up with the provider to get a refund, then a while
later i get told that they can't seem to find a physical way to contact
the so called opperator, they have a web site, but they had no response
to attemps to contact. so at the end of the day i have to pay for
nothing...
On the other hand I should start one of these services, could you
imagine how much money you would make in just 1 month...

Yes I hate them, but it would be a quick way to make money.

thegoons

May 8, 2006, 12:21:59 PM5/8/06

"Josh B" <joshbD...@ANDTHISBITozdebate.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 May 2006 00:58:12 GMT, Michael (or one of their many
> personalities) said......

>> > Which means fuck all. The charge appears on your bill from Telstra. As
>> it's
>> > their bill, *they* are the ones who have to justify the charge. The
>> > onus
>> is
>> > not on the end user to chase it up.
>>
>> Sorry, not how it stands at present for any carrier
>
> Um, I suggest you check with your own policy that has just come into
> force....

Irrespective of that change, no Telstra "policy" gets to override Trade
Practices and Consumer Affairs legislation, ever.

thegoons

May 8, 2006, 12:23:33 PM5/8/06
Try the TIO. Advise them that you specifically told Vodafone to ban all
premium services (lie if necessary).

"MadMikey" <mhem...@gmail.com> wrote in message

KeithR

May 9, 2006, 10:01:34 AM5/9/06
Blondie wrote:

> Is your wife fat, does she wear trakky dacks, does she wear moccasins and
> does she have some of her breakfast down the front of her shirt, does she
> eat lots of potato chips and spend a lot of time at the pokies as well ?

A touch of PMS today huh?

Michael

May 10, 2006, 5:50:28 AM5/10/06

"Simon Templar" <use...@vk3xem.net> wrote in message

> Josh B wrote:
>
> > But ask your carrier. If it's Telstra they are about to change their
> > policy to take up these matters on behalf of their customers. Previously
> > they told their customers to contact the service provider in question.
>
> Which is the way it should be! The company that is billing you are the
> one's that have to justify the expense, especially when they let these
> premium services hide behind them with fuck all accountability and
> bugger contact details!

Dunno what company you are with, Telstra prints the content provider number
on the bill

Michael

May 10, 2006, 5:51:01 AM5/10/06

<google...@sensation.net.au> wrote in message

jesus. call them and ask them to turn on itemised billing
if they wont, churn

google...@sensation.net.au

May 11, 2006, 4:05:45 AM5/11/06
Ok, here's what I've been able to figure out... there are actually two
content companies involved.

- My wife sent a subscription msg to company A running a competition.
This was charged $2.
- They sent back offers for further competitions which do not appear to
have been charged. She attempted to unsubscribe 3 times and was charged
a further $2.00 each time. So we have 4 premium units in total, and
that's the end of the story (hopefully)

- Company B is a mystery. They have sent 36 SMSs (to date) charged
$3.50 each, containing ringtone and wallpaper content. My wife never
subscribed to this and hasn't actually received any of the content.

The guy at Optus actually matched up the companies incorrectly, so last
night I blasted company A for charging us $75+ when it's really only
$8... oops. I left a msg with company B and received a call back today
promising a refund cheque for $126. The lady I spoke to was quite nice
and given that she spent 14 minutes on the phone call to me I'm
inclined to believe that there was some sort of glitch or problem.

So hopefully we'll get our refunds, and that's that.

One other catch that wasn't immediately apparent: the charges seem to
take some time to propagate to Optus, so by the time they show on your
bill you could have already been charged for 4-5 weeks worth of
content, and even if you cancel you'll still have further charges
waiting to be loaded into the billing system.

google...@sensation.net.au

May 11, 2006, 4:13:52 AM5/11/06
For future ref here are the contact details...

193 666 - Netsize Pty Ltd "SMS FAN CLUB" 1300 650 521
http://www.netsize.com/?id=6&sid=2

197 99197 Dialogue Communications Pty Ltd "WIN" 1300 738 639
- this customer service number asks you to enter the premium number
you're enquiring about and in this case directs you to 1300 764 041.
"Sub" company name unknown, website unknown.

JessYates

May 6, 2008, 3:39:03 AM5/6/08

google...@sensation.net.au Wrote:
> Is there an easy way to find out who owns a 19 SMS number? My wife has
> been hit with the "enter a competition and get subscribed" scam to the
> tune of nearly $40 on our latest bill - and she's apparently still
> subscribed! The number is 193 666 but I can't find any reference to it
> via google.
>
> Is it worth trying to contest this? It's time someone steps in and
> regulates the mobile content subscription industry. Some of the ads I
> see on TV end up charging you over $50 per month if you don't realise
> you have to unsubscribe. In this case I don't think my wife was even
> receiving any meaningful content, just an invitation to enter the next
> contest - and each invitation msg she received was charged $3.18...

Hi,

My name is Jessica Yates, I work for Federal Member Warren Snowdon, and
found your forum post about premium SMS numbers when I was researching a
compliant of the exact same nature.

I am still in the process of the finding out more information about
these companies and highly doubt that they are allowed to keep
operating the way they are. It is not right that you may be receiving
unsolicited text messages which are costing you money.

Can I suggest that you send an emal to the Minister for Broadband,
Communications and Digiatal Economy (Mr Stephen Conroy) with the
details of your situation so that this issue may gain some momentum and
some sort of stop can be put on these spaming organisations.

His email address is mini...@dbcde.gov.au

Might I also suggest that you register a complaint with the
telecommunications ombudsman on 1800 062 058. You may also want to
contact your local member of parliament and ask them to support you on
this issue.

I hope this helps

Regards

Jessica Yates
Electorate Officer A
Office of Warren Snowdon MHR
Yeperenye Centre
Ph: (08) 8952 9696
Fax: (08) 8952 5922

--
JessYates

Michael

May 7, 2008, 2:07:56 AM5/7/08

"JessYates" <JessYate...@no-mx.phorums.com.au> wrote in message

> google...@sensation.net.au Wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to find out who owns a 19 SMS number? My wife has
>> been hit with the "enter a competition and get subscribed" scam to the
>> tune of nearly $40 on our latest bill - and she's apparently still
>> subscribed! The number is 193 666 but I can't find any reference to it
>> via google.
>>
>> Is it worth trying to contest this? It's time someone steps in and
>> regulates the mobile content subscription industry. Some of the ads I
>> see on TV end up charging you over $50 per month if you don't realise
>> you have to unsubscribe. In this case I don't think my wife was even
>> receiving any meaningful content, just an invitation to enter the next
>> contest - and each invitation msg she received was charged $3.18...
>
> Hi,
>
> My name is Jessica Yates, I work for Federal Member Warren Snowdon, and
> found your forum post about premium SMS numbers when I was researching a
> compliant of the exact same nature.
>
> I am still in the process of the finding out more information about
> these companies and highly doubt that they are allowed to keep

More fool you.

> Can I suggest that you send an emal to the Minister for Broadband,
> Communications and Digiatal Economy (Mr Stephen Conroy) with the
> details of your situation so that this issue may gain some momentum and
> some sort of stop can be put on these spaming organisations.

Haha

Brendon

May 7, 2008, 9:35:09 AM5/7/08
>>The number is 193 666 but I can't find any reference to it
>> via google.
>>

> I am still in the process of the finding out more information about

> these companies and highly doubt that they are allowed to keep
> operating the way they are.

You can look these 'premium' SMS numbers up here:
http://www.smsfun.com.au/premium_lookup.php

193666 gives the following output:

Premium Number: 193666
Service Provider: TMG-Company
Campaign Name: Text & Win
Campaign Type: Competition Entry
Campaign Start Date: 02/10/2007 00:01
Campaign End Date: 31/12/2099 23:59
Campaign Description: The service concerns a SMS & WIN trivia game.
After activation user instantly receives the first question. The user
has to SMS his answer to 193666. The user gets 5 questions. However, the
user only gets the next question if he answers the previous question
correctly. If user answers all 5 questions correctly, he will enter the
knockout round and compete with the other remaining contestants. Every
week the user automatically receives the first question of the next round.
Sending Fee: $2.00
Receiving Fee: $2.00
Cust Care Phone: 1300 55 26 06

Polly the Parrot

May 8, 2008, 12:56:05 AM5/8/08
On Tue, 6 May 2008 17:39:03 +1000 JessYates
<JessYate...@no-mx.phorums.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Jessica Yates,

Is this you Roddles?