Kingas rock.

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 2:52:33 AM2/17/01
I'm back.
Miss me?
Course ya did.

And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached the
conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about as
much style as Bob Downe.

Bring back the originality in motoring huh?

Every single little riceburner looked exactly the same. The basic recipe was
obviously:
1) Take an excel sized chassis
2) Add a shoebox style body
3) Heat with heat gun until plastic melts into a shape that is different
enough from other rice burners so you dont breach copyright.
4) Stick in an underpowered donk that has some form of "good" feature. As
many letters as you can fit down the front quarters is good (see: VVTi-GLi
or some shit)
5) Label as the latest and greatest and flog of to the multitide of smacks
walking in the door laden with money.

Anyway. Cook for 10 minutes on high (less for fan forced) and serve chilled
with a white wine.

-- The Red Krawler
. o ( mmm many cylinders, no turbo )

The Gardners

Feb 17, 2001, 3:09:59 AM2/17/01
Thanks fudging gowd. At least someone wants to keep a classic on the road.

--
Al Gardner
and soon to come "Mr Al and Captain Insano" - It's just Me and Me.

The Red Krawler <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

steve

Feb 17, 2001, 5:23:58 AM2/17/01
"The Red Krawler" <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message
> I'm back.
> Miss me?
> Course ya did.
>
> And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached the
> conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about
as
> much style as Bob Downe.
>
> Bring back the originality in motoring huh?
>
> Every single little riceburner looked exactly the same. The basic recipe
was
> obviously:
> 1) Take an excel sized chassis
> 2) Add a shoebox style body
> 3) Heat with heat gun until plastic melts into a shape that is different
> enough from other rice burners so you dont breach copyright.
> 4) Stick in an underpowered donk that has some form of "good" feature. As
> many letters as you can fit down the front quarters is good (see: VVTi-GLi
> or some shit)
> 5) Label as the latest and greatest and flog of to the multitide of smacks
> walking in the door laden with money.

plus something like;

6) POWERFUL 1.5 litre motor

should the words "powerful" and "1.5 litre" be used in the same sentence?
Its almost like saying "Healthy Big Mac Burger"

Shaddow Edge

Feb 17, 2001, 5:56:29 AM2/17/01

steve wrote in message <3a8e...@nap-ns1.netconnect.net.au>...

>plus something like;
>
>6) POWERFUL 1.5 litre motor
>
>should the words "powerful" and "1.5 litre" be used in the same sentence?
>Its almost like saying "Healthy Big Mac Burger"

Should be used in point form.
ie

*Powerful engine
*Little 1.5 engine

leaves reader thinking god thats small.

Shaddow

Shaddow Edge

Feb 17, 2001, 6:04:15 AM2/17/01
Were have you been matey? I've missed you. Rocking myself to sleep late at
night with no.... *cough*!

As for the Kinga good on ya. I've actually got my eye on a good old falcon
500 fairmont, when I've got the cash. Bit of a step up from my last umm
shoebox.

So what sort of white wine are we talking? A sweet white, or are we talking
chardonay?
But I so agree. Nothing looks origanal. Just slightly mashed up a bit.

So what happened to the crappy laser project?

Shaddow

Forg

Feb 17, 2001, 8:26:10 AM2/17/01
The Gardners wrote:

> Thanks fudging gowd. At least someone wants to keep a classic on the road.

Ummm ... Al ... it's a _Kingswood_ ...

--
Forg! -DUH#6=- (Y1)

"...
this crazy Forg surrounds me
..."
[Live - "When Dolphins Cry"]

Forg

Feb 17, 2001, 8:27:18 AM2/17/01
The Red Krawler wrote:

> Every single little riceburner looked exactly the same. The basic recipe was
> obviously:

> 4) Stick in an underpowered donk that has some form of "good" feature.

Tha feature usually being "has more power than an old Holden 3.3 6cyl,
but pushing around a car of 1/2 to 2/3 of the weight"?

Adam Gibson

Feb 17, 2001, 8:37:12 AM2/17/01
A nice late harvest riesling perhaps?

"Shaddow Edge" <Shadd...@netscape.net> wrote in message

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 8:47:02 AM2/17/01
> > 4) Stick in an underpowered donk that has some form of "good" feature.

> Tha feature usually being "has more power than an old Holden 3.3 6cyl,

> but pushing around a car of 1/2 to 2/3 of the weight"?

Lucky I dont use a 3.3 eh Forg?

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 8:47:02 AM2/17/01
> A nice late harvest riesling perhaps?

So long as it's served between 2 and 4 degrees from a bed of ice.

PS - Why am I missing 3/4 of the posts that go in here??

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 8:48:07 AM2/17/01
> > Thanks fudging gowd. At least someone wants to keep a classic on the
road.

> Ummm ... Al ... it's a _Kingswood_ ...

I dont like what your insinuating.
Nor what you're flat out saying.

Derek Pattison

Feb 17, 2001, 8:58:08 AM2/17/01

> leaves reader thinking god thats small.
>
> Shaddow

Same with the girlfriends of the owners (should they be lucky enough to have
one)

Cheers,
Derek

Colin Smith

Feb 17, 2001, 9:08:17 AM2/17/01

"The Red Krawler" <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

> I'm back.
> Miss me?
> Course ya did.
>
> And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached the
> conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about
as
> much style as Bob Downe.

What the *hell* is wrong with Bob Downe?

Colin Smith

Feb 17, 2001, 9:10:04 AM2/17/01
"Shaddow Edge" <Shadd...@netscape.net> wrote in message
It's sad that they let people into University when they can't even spell...

Forg

Feb 17, 2001, 9:18:11 AM2/17/01

Did I mention the car with the longest-sticking "hairdresser's car" tag,
with the little 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine, having more power than a
5.0?
:-)

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 9:33:58 AM2/17/01
> Did I mention the car with the longest-sticking "hairdresser's car" tag,
> with the little 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine, having more power than a
> 5.0?

I seriously doubt that I'm afraid.

The Gardners

Feb 17, 2001, 1:31:09 PM2/17/01
Yeah, a classic P-O-S!

HAHAA!!! Comeon Krawley, get a XY GT or something!

--
Al Gardner
and soon to come "Mr Al and Captain Insano" - It's just Me and Me.
Aus.Cars - Because petrol just ain't what it use to be

John

Feb 17, 2001, 4:34:14 PM2/17/01
Thats where you're wrong

"The Red Krawler" <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

Tom Davies

Feb 17, 2001, 5:33:29 PM2/17/01
The Red Krawler wrote:

> And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached the
> conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about
> as much style as Bob Downe.

Hmmm. Bob Downe's style is a bit 'Australian Retro' -- rather like a
Kingswood.

As for the music genre 'Kinga rock' (well, rock/country/folk really), Mick
Thomas sings: "That old HQ is just a piece of shit, and I punch it in
disgust".

What other popular songs are there which mention Holdens? Redgum mention an
HG (?) in 'Another boring thursday night in Adelaide'.

Tom

--
Tom Davies - tomd...@optushome.com.au
http://members.optushome.com.au/tomdavies

Daniel Gordon

Feb 17, 2001, 6:46:09 PM2/17/01
fucken oath Krawler
About time you came back

I though that the show was a waste of money till I found that back bit with
some ol skool cars and shit

"The Red Krawler" <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 6:57:38 PM2/17/01
> I though that the show was a waste of money till I found that back bit
with
> some ol skool cars and shit

The only half decent section of the whole thing... I flat out refused to go
at first, but my g/f managed to get free tickets so I relented.... That
damned parking was 7 bucks, had I have added another 14 each to get in (35
bucks!) I would have been knocking the door of the managers office down the
get my money back.

It was SHIT....

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 6:58:33 PM2/17/01
.
> > > Did I mention the car with the longest-sticking "hairdresser's car"
tag,
> > > with the little 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine, having more power than a
> > > 5.0?

> > I seriously doubt that I'm afraid.

> Thats where you're wrong

If they have so much more power than a 308, why are they so fscking slow?

The Red Krawler

Feb 17, 2001, 7:00:44 PM2/17/01
> > And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached
the
> > conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about
> > as much style as Bob Downe.

> Hmmm. Bob Downe's style is a bit 'Australian Retro' -- rather like a
> Kingswood.

Kingswoods are not gay however.

> As for the music genre 'Kinga rock' (well, rock/country/folk really), Mick
> Thomas sings: "That old HQ is just a piece of shit, and I punch it in
> disgust".

I'd have to agree. Dont like the HQ slopey-ass rear end.. HJ is the only one
I really like, the boot lid thing on HZ and HX ruined them for me. And
Premier front ends are the only way to go.... Not that I'm picky, mind.

> What other popular songs are there which mention Holdens? Redgum mention
an
> HG (?) in 'Another boring thursday night in Adelaide'.

NOT THE KINGSWOOD! I just shampooed the glovebox!

Dan--&-Kelly

Feb 17, 2001, 7:46:15 PM2/17/01

The Red Krawler wrote:

> I'm back.

Welcome Back

> Miss me?

Didnt even noticed that you were gone. ;-)

> Course ya did.

Ok.

> And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached the
> conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about as
> much style as Bob Downe.

Thats cool that ya keepin the Kinga.

> Bring back the originality in motoring huh?

Damn right.

> Every single little riceburner looked exactly the same. The basic recipe was
> obviously:
> 1) Take an excel sized chassis
> 2) Add a shoebox style body
> 3) Heat with heat gun until plastic melts into a shape that is different
> enough from other rice burners so you dont breach copyright.
> 4) Stick in an underpowered donk that has some form of "good" feature. As
> many letters as you can fit down the front quarters is good (see: VVTi-GLi
> or some shit)
> 5) Label as the latest and greatest and flog of to the multitide of smacks
> walking in the door laden with money.
>
> Anyway. Cook for 10 minutes on high (less for fan forced) and serve chilled
> with a white wine.

Haha.

--
Regards
Dan

Daniel Gordon

Feb 17, 2001, 8:32:00 PM2/17/01
actually the best part was actually the reeeeaaallly squeaky floor of the
convention centres car park :P
It was especially good since I had just that day got me some brand new
pirelli's ehehehhehehehe

"The Red Krawler" <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

PigDog

Feb 17, 2001, 9:24:45 PM2/17/01
Forg wrote in message <3A8E8823...@zip.com.au>...

>> > Tha feature usually being "has more power than an old Holden 3.3 6cyl,
>> > but pushing around a car of 1/2 to 2/3 of the weight"?
>>
>> Lucky I dont use a 3.3 eh Forg?
>
>Did I mention the car with the longest-sticking "hairdresser's car" tag,
>with the little 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine, having more power than a
>5.0?

A stock 308 perhaps but why the hell would he want to restore his car to
'stock' specs?

Shaddow Edge

Feb 17, 2001, 10:37:37 PM2/17/01

Colin Smith wrote in message <3a8e85a0$0$29...@wodc7nh1.news.uu.net>...

So your point is? TER was what got me in and I was 5 points the min for the
TER for my course so what do I care. Besides I've finished my degree now so
I'm not in uni anymore. And what did I miss spell?

Shaddow

Gavin Cato

Feb 18, 2001, 5:51:26 AM2/18/01
for fucks sake

all you ever do is compare your kingswood to shitboxes i.e. lancers,
mirages, excels etc..

compare it to some decent "rice burners" i.e. integra type R, 200sx, wrx
etc..

And when you say "why are they so slow", thats a stupid comment in itself.
you clearly do not enjoy driving a car like it is meant to, or you'd realise
that these new cars can actually outhandle your kingswood by miles without
even trying. All you seem to do is care about flooring a car from the
traffic lights, not particularly a really hard thing to do.

Gav

"The Red Krawler" <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

The Red Krawler

Feb 18, 2001, 5:44:38 AM2/18/01
On <kCFj6.31511$o85.1...@news-server.bigpond.net.au> , "Daniel Gordon"
<dan...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

The "Bob Jane All Rounders" on my pile of crap work van loved em too....
Not very often you get more tire squeel from the FRONT wheels of a RWD
car than the back :)

-- The Red Krawler

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.
No, wait.. Not me....
You.

Gavin Cato

Feb 18, 2001, 5:54:39 AM2/18/01
> 5) Label as the latest and greatest and flog of to the multitide of smacks
> walking in the door laden with money.

There is a very good reason why these new cars cost a decent amountof cash,
and why a kingswood these days is worth fuck all.

For a idea of what I'm talking about, go to the Salvo's, hand them a bag of
dogshit and a bag of food and see which one they prefer.

Gav

> > -- The Red Krawler
> . o ( mmm many cylinders, no turbo )

ignorant, ignorant, ignorant.

Clockmeister

Feb 18, 2001, 12:01:12 PM2/18/01

The Red Krawler wrote in message
<55qj6.18035$lI2....@news1.rochd1.qld.optushome.com.au>...

>I'm back.
>Miss me?
>Course ya did.
>
>And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached the
>conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about as
>much style as Bob Downe.
>
>Bring back the originality in motoring huh?
>
>Every single little riceburner looked exactly the same. The basic recipe
was
>obviously:
>1) Take an excel sized chassis
>2) Add a shoebox style body
>3) Heat with heat gun until plastic melts into a shape that is different
>enough from other rice burners so you dont breach copyright.
>4) Stick in an underpowered donk that has some form of "good" feature. As
>many letters as you can fit down the front quarters is good (see: VVTi-GLi
>or some shit)
>5) Label as the latest and greatest and flog of to the multitide of smacks
>walking in the door laden with money.
>
>Anyway. Cook for 10 minutes on high (less for fan forced) and serve chilled
>with a white wine.

Compare one rusty, soggy arsed, bushless wishbone, "the definition of
bodyroll" dinosaur powered Kingswood to a shiny new WRX and well... for
performance and fun I'd go the WRX, for classic looks the Kingswood.

Regards,

Clockmeister.

Jules

Feb 18, 2001, 6:20:13 PM2/18/01
Cool, glad to hear your keeping your kinga :) any plans on what your going
to do with it yet?

Cheers

The Red Krawler <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

> I'm back.
> Miss me?
> Course ya did.
>
> And I've decided to keep the Kinga. Went to the motorshow and reached the
> conclusion all new cars have all the styling of a saggy jell-o and about
as
> much style as Bob Downe.
>
> Bring back the originality in motoring huh?
>
> Every single little riceburner looked exactly the same. The basic recipe
was
> obviously:
> 1) Take an excel sized chassis
> 2) Add a shoebox style body
> 3) Heat with heat gun until plastic melts into a shape that is different
> enough from other rice burners so you dont breach copyright.
> 4) Stick in an underpowered donk that has some form of "good" feature. As
> many letters as you can fit down the front quarters is good (see: VVTi-GLi
> or some shit)
> 5) Label as the latest and greatest and flog of to the multitide of smacks
> walking in the door laden with money.
>
> Anyway. Cook for 10 minutes on high (less for fan forced) and serve
chilled
> with a white wine.

Damien

Feb 18, 2001, 6:40:20 PM2/18/01
> Bring back the originality in motoring huh?
>
> Every single little riceburner looked exactly the same. The basic recipe
was
> obviously:

Hell yeah M***ER F***ER!! =)
Keep that old beast on the road and be proud of it!

Marty Hogan

Feb 18, 2001, 8:53:59 PM2/18/01

The Red Krawler <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message
> I'm back.
> Miss me?
> Course ya did.

Nup,

:)

You finally listened to what I said ... took your time numbnut:)

checkya

p.s your gf isnt any good at giving blowjobs.

Damien

Feb 18, 2001, 8:58:51 PM2/18/01
Okay, let's turbo the Kingswood and *then* compare it to all those *turbo*
cars you mentioned.

Gavin Cato

Feb 18, 2001, 9:20:29 PM2/18/01
Typically mindless irrelevant reply.

"Damien" <Allo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Damien

Feb 19, 2001, 12:53:15 AM2/19/01
I can't believe I fell victim to a troller... I've let myself down, I've let
the team down, I need to go and lock myself in a room and take a BLOODY good
look at myself!!

(Quoting H G Nelson there...)

The Red Krawler

Feb 19, 2001, 4:21:39 AM2/19/01
On <3a90...@derwent.nt.tas.gov.au> , "Jules"
<andreas...@dier.tas.gov.au> wrote:

> Cool, glad to hear your keeping your kinga :) any plans on what your
> going to do with it yet?

The original plan was to respray in black with purple purle, go totally
clean-skin and rechrome any strips that where going to go back on
(including those rhad Premier badges).... But I just couldnt bring myself
to do such a drastic change to the car I love. Not to mention that if any
low-life prick (read: Rice boy who thinks his 200SX is much better (troll
gavin, troll)) keys it, it's bloody hard to color match. Not to mention a
fairly high cost (10k) for a decent paint job....

So it's going to be resprayed in the same color it is now (pics available
at http://trk.home.dhs.org) but hopefully in 2 pack to last that little
bit longer. All panels that are dented are being replaced with
aftermarket, the rust is being cutout, door locks being cut out, the
'clips' the strips hold onto grinded off and filled if neccasary.....

Proper preparation of roof for vinyl root being put back on (hey,
oldskool rocks!).... Doing a basic engine swap to get it roadworthy, then
getting some very mild work done to it just to help it have a few more
balls (mild headwork, cam etc). New front buckets... Recaro I guess, new
stereo and recarpeted, tho I'm considering checker plate :)

Ahh well, getting the loan for all paint/parts work in June, but the rust / body work
is begging within a week.

Forg

Feb 19, 2001, 4:51:39 AM2/19/01

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're faster than any 5.0 before
the VN SS Group A. Excluding Brock specials.

The Red Krawler

Feb 19, 2001, 5:42:32 AM2/19/01

>> If they have so much more power than a 308, why are they so fscking
>> slow?

> I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're faster than any 5.0 before
> the VN SS Group A. Excluding Brock specials.

I guess if you're comparing the slug standard 308 issued in the 70's,
then you may well be right. But how many people keep them stock?

A simple cam and exhaust upgrades gives you massive gains...

Speaking of 4 bangers, I was reading Hot4's the other day (from when I
had a subcription sometime in 99) and they had a couple of pages
dedicated to "power gains"....

They spent around $4,500AU for a net gain of 31kW!! And thats the
"professional" workshops doing this, god knows how much money the normal
fella off the street wastes for no gain.

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 6:14:20 AM2/19/01
> Speaking of 4 bangers, I was reading Hot4's the other day (from when I
> had a subcription sometime in 99) and they had a couple of pages
> dedicated to "power gains"....
>
> They spent around $4,500AU for a net gain of 31kW!! And thats the
> "professional" workshops doing this, god knows how much money the normal
> fella off the street wastes for no gain.

Power gains on what sort of car you twit, excels and mirages etc..?

Once again you try to justify your 4cylinder phobia by choosing garbage
examples.

Gav

The Red Krawler

Feb 19, 2001, 6:24:13 AM2/19/01
>> They spent around $4,500AU for a net gain of 31kW!! And thats the
>> "professional" workshops doing this, god knows how much money the
>> normal
>> fella off the street wastes for no gain.

> Power gains on what sort of car you twit, excels and mirages etc..?

> Once again you try to justify your 4cylinder phobia by choosing garbage
> examples.

If you were worth any sort of effort at all, I'd find the article and
even scan it in.

But your not. So I wont.

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 6:37:29 AM2/19/01
I know the articles you're talking about.

They typically refer to 1.6 odd non turbo motors, and they just do basic
stuff like cold air intake and exhaust + extractors and that bullshit.

Lets look at the type of car that I usually compare your garbage with , a
s14

* exhaust - $1100

* front mount intercooler (for next step) bout $1500

* boost turbo to 16psi

* air filter, cheap

that will change a s14 from having around 100kw at the wheels to the high
160's

thats EASY power.

> If you were worth any sort of effort at all, I'd find the article and
> even scan it in.
>
> But your not. So I wont.

Poor thing, finding it hard to reply logically to my points are you?

Gav

> >> They spent around $4,500AU for a net gain of 31kW!! And thats the
> >> "professional" workshops doing this, god knows how much money the
> >> normal
> >> fella off the street wastes for no gain.
>
> > Power gains on what sort of car you twit, excels and mirages etc..?
>
> > Once again you try to justify your 4cylinder phobia by choosing garbage
> > examples.

Daniel Gordon

Feb 19, 2001, 6:39:54 AM2/19/01
hahahah right on Krawley

That is pretty ghey considering street commodores did the 160hp --> 240hp
EFI V8 for around $5000

mmmmm displacement...

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 6:43:19 AM2/19/01
$500 for a miserable 80hp increase from 5litres? oh please stop making me
laugh

"Daniel Gordon" <dan...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

The Red Krawler

Feb 19, 2001, 6:44:55 AM2/19/01
Gavin Cato wrote:

> $500 for a miserable 80hp increase from 5litres? oh please stop making me
> laugh

$4,500 for a miserable 31kW increase from 1.8litres? oh please stop
making me laugh

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 6:56:16 AM2/19/01
See my other post you twit.

"The Red Krawler" <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

Daniel Gordon

Feb 19, 2001, 6:58:39 AM2/19/01
You would of been proud of this 355 Kinga Ute that arc'd up at harrys diner
last friday night - pity the cop hiding in the car park opposite didnt seem
so amused :(

Also in regards to the interior, go the checkerplate!! Ive been to a few
auto upholsters for my VH interior and am looking at getting the
checkerplate inset in the carpet for that really flush look.

Marty Hogan

Feb 19, 2001, 7:10:55 AM2/19/01

Forg <fo...@zip.com.au> wrote in message news:3A90ECAB...@zip.com.au...

> The Red Krawler wrote:
> >
> > .
> > tag,

> > > Thats where you're wrong
> >
> > If they have so much more power than a 308, why are they so fscking
slow?

> I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're faster than any 5.0 before
> the VN SS Group A. Excluding Brock specials.

Forg, what car are you referring to out of interest ? thanks

atec77

Feb 19, 2001, 3:59:02 PM2/19/01
Gav , one simple question
Do you work at being a total F&*khead or is a natural genetic condition ?

Gavin Cato wrote:

--
Me , myself and I

Jules

Feb 19, 2001, 4:31:47 PM2/19/01
Nice one, cant wait to see photos of it when its done. have fun :)

The Red Krawler <kra...@antispam.hoontown.com> wrote in message

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 5:43:45 PM2/19/01
I'm trying hard, just to please you you dropkick

"atec77" <ate...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Damien

Feb 19, 2001, 5:54:31 PM2/19/01
16 pounds of boost??? EASY power? More like engine-under-strain power.
Well hey, why not make it 40 pounds of boost then?

Damien

Feb 19, 2001, 5:58:57 PM2/19/01
> $500 for a miserable 80hp increase from 5litres? oh please stop making me
> laugh

You're just being ridiculous now. $500 is what most dickheads spend on the
wheel nuts for their 50 inch rims, and you're paying out the idea of turning
it into 80hp.

You're a fool.

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 6:32:44 PM2/19/01
Engine under strain my butt. This isn't some weak old shitbox motor from the
70's you're talking about.

Gav

"Damien" <Allo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 6:33:18 PM2/19/01
That's a typo

he said $5000

FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS

Now who's the fool.

Gav

"Damien" <Allo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Damien

Feb 19, 2001, 6:52:53 PM2/19/01
OH! Well then I stand corrected.
$5K for 80hp is a different story all together.

"Gavin Cato" <ga...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Norbie

Feb 19, 2001, 6:55:37 PM2/19/01

"Marty Hogan" <pimpmobi...@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message

> Forg, what car are you referring to out of interest ? thanks

Given the "hairdressers car" line, he'd have to be referring to the current
model Celica. Although I don't think it really qualifies as a hairdressers
car any more.

Norbie.

Marty Hogan

Feb 19, 2001, 7:40:42 PM2/19/01

Norbie <nor...@norbie.net> wrote in message

Thanks Norbie, it IS still a hairdressers car tho :)

Colin Smith

Feb 19, 2001, 8:56:53 PM2/19/01
"Damien" <Allo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> 16 pounds of boost??? EASY power? More like engine-under-strain power.
> Well hey, why not make it 40 pounds of boost then?

Please! 16psi is ~1.1 bar. A stock SR20DET runs 1 bar of boost. How does 1.1
bar suddenly put it "under-strain"?

Damien

Feb 19, 2001, 9:33:05 PM2/19/01
> Please! 16psi is ~1.1 bar. A stock SR20DET runs 1 bar of boost.

I actually asked this question a while ago - "how many pounds is one bar?" -
so now I know.

But don't "most" turbo cars come off the production line with about 5 or 6
pounds?
I can admit when I'm wrong, but I'd still like to know more about this.

I remember in some car magazine a guy had a small something-or-other with a
giant turbo with 28 pounds of boost. He was doing some killer quarter mile
times with this super light, super quick car.

The magazine (and the guy) said 28 pounds is pretty damn crazy and is
*completely* out of streetable range, as it will kill the car in no time.

Now I realise 28 is a fair jump from 16, but on the other hand, it doesn't
seem all that far away to me... when you consider there are 5 pound turbos
around.

Gavin Cato

Feb 19, 2001, 10:05:54 PM2/19/01
> > Please! 16psi is ~1.1 bar. A stock SR20DET runs 1 bar of boost.

Actually a s14 sr20det is supposed to run 10.5psi stock, according to the
nissan dealers tech book.

My 180SX (sr20det) ran 10psi when i had it (before any mods).

> I actually asked this question a while ago - "how many pounds is one
bar?" -
> so now I know.

14.7psi.

> But don't "most" turbo cars come off the production line with about 5 or 6
> pounds?

No, although there are some. A WRX for example comes with around 14psi
stock, the STI is a couple of pounds extra.

> I remember in some car magazine a guy had a small something-or-other with
> giant turbo with 28 pounds of boost. He was doing some killer quarter mile
> times with this super light, super quick car.
>
> The magazine (and the guy) said 28 pounds is pretty damn crazy and is
> *completely* out of streetable range, as it will kill the car in no time.

Not at all, if he is running 28psi then he should have had the engine built
and tuned to take this power.

There'd probably be no need to have that sort of power on the street though.
Thats a lot of boost, typically for 1/4 mile runs as you say.

> Now I realise 28 is a fair jump from 16, but on the other hand, it doesn't
> seem all that far away to me... when you consider there are 5 pound turbos
> around.

What needs to be stressed is that these jap turbo motors are typically
bloody strong. japs really know how to build good small motors.

Gav

Colin Smith

Feb 19, 2001, 10:09:41 PM2/19/01

> > Please! 16psi is ~1.1 bar. A stock SR20DET runs 1 bar of boost.
>
> I actually asked this question a while ago - "how many pounds is one
bar?" -
> so now I know.
>
> But don't "most" turbo cars come off the production line with about 5 or 6
> pounds?

Yep, 1 bar = 1 atmosphere = ~14.7 psi. I don't know about others, but the
200SX (SR20DET motor), comes in 2 specs - Japanese / NZ and Australian. In
Japanese / NZ spec it runs 0.9 bar (sorry, I rounded it to 1 bar before)
(~13.2 psi) and the Australian spec runs 0.5 bar (~7.4 psi). These motors
are known for being very strong in the bottom end, so with a larger
intercooler and some computer mods, you could probably quite easily up them
to 1.3-1.5 bar (19-22 psi) - maybe more. BTW, the reason for running the
low boost in Oz is because with lower fuel quality (and octane ratings), the
engine is more likely to detonate under boost - so Nissan apply some
"insurance" against this happening. It is a relatively simple thing to up
the boost to 1 bar without any other mods. NZ gets the same fuel we do, yet
they get the model with 0.9 bar of boost (and 184kw as opposed to our
147kw).

Cars like the VL Turbo, etc typically ran 5-6 psi because the turbo was
really just a marketing tool. They weren't ever intended to be "high
performance turbo" cars.

Colin Smith

Feb 19, 2001, 10:17:02 PM2/19/01

> > > Please! 16psi is ~1.1 bar. A stock SR20DET runs 1 bar of boost.
>
> Actually a s14 sr20det is supposed to run 10.5psi stock, according to the
> nissan dealers tech book.

The S15 (jap / nz spec) runs 0.9 bar (13.2 psi) and the oz spec runs 0.5 bar
(7.4 psi).

Damien

Feb 19, 2001, 11:47:39 PM2/19/01
> Actually a s14 sr20det is supposed to run 10.5psi stock

Oh.

> What needs to be stressed is that these jap turbo motors are typically
> bloody strong. japs really know how to build good small motors.

Yes, this is also true. I tend to forget that these big boosted motors are
actually physically pretty small, and so don't have so much moving mass to
hurt themselves with. And where they get their power is typically once the
spinning innards of the motor already have a decent momentum - further
reducing the risk of breaking things.

I tend to over engineer everything because I operate from a viewpoint of
"the motor isn't as strong as I think it is". So things like extra high
boost and extra high compression make me cringe automatically.

Damien

Feb 19, 2001, 11:50:40 PM2/19/01
> NZ gets the same fuel we do, yet they get the
> model with 0.9 bar of boost (and 184kw as
> opposed to our 147kw).

Interesting... I wonder what NZ's rate of WRX attrition is like compared to
ours?
Or at least how many new WRX pistons and piston rings get shipped to NZ.

atec77

Feb 20, 2001, 3:05:09 AM2/20/01
Its just that the NZ fuel is of differing source and tends to be a little
better quality

Damien wrote:

Colin Smith

Feb 20, 2001, 4:22:38 AM2/20/01
"Damien" <Allo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
Dunno, but the WRX pistons and rings wouldn't do much for the 200SX that I
was talking about...

The Red Krawler

Feb 20, 2001, 4:25:25 AM2/20/01
Daniel Gordon wrote:

> You would of been proud of this 355 Kinga Ute that arc'd up at harrys diner
> last friday night - pity the cop hiding in the car park opposite didnt seem
> so amused :(

Cops dont appreciate things like that. Neither does the council that has
to replace portions of road where friction has melted tar and bitumen :)

Sucks to them, I say.

> Also in regards to the interior, go the checkerplate!! Ive been to a few
> auto upholsters for my VH interior and am looking at getting the
> checkerplate inset in the carpet for that really flush look.

How much is it out of interest? Havent looked at checker plate pricing
yet, but it's making me pitch more and more of a tent the more I think
of it.

The Red Krawler

Feb 21, 2001, 7:17:02 PM2/21/01
>> Also in regards to the interior, go the checkerplate!! Ive been to a
>> few auto upholsters for my VH interior and am looking at getting the
>> checkerplate inset in the carpet for that really flush look.

> How much is it out of interest? Havent looked at checker plate pricing
> yet, but it's making me pitch more and more of a tent the more I think
> of it.

Its Andrews g/f here. My concern with the checkerplate is how hot it will
get seeming the floor gets very hot with the carpet. Will this be a
problem and will the metal heat up to much to be able to put our feet on
it? This is a serious question. I dont really feel like driving along
with my feet burning!

--
-- The Red Krawler's Girlfriend

Norbie

Feb 21, 2001, 9:06:44 PM2/21/01

> Its Andrews g/f here. My concern with the checkerplate is how hot it will
> get seeming the floor gets very hot with the carpet. Will this be a
> problem and will the metal heat up to much to be able to put our feet on
> it? This is a serious question. I dont really feel like driving along
> with my feet burning!

I've driven around in a car with no carpet (just bare steel under your
feet), and yes it does get quite hot - especially on the side with the
exhaust pipe underneath! On long trips it can get too hot to touch...

I don't understand why you'd want checkerplate - is it just there for looks
or is there some other reason? It's not like carpet is expensive or even
heavy... and it's much easier on the feet!

Norbie.

Trent

Feb 21, 2001, 5:58:58 AM2/21/01

> should the words "powerful" and "1.5 litre" be used in the same sentence?
> Its almost like saying "Healthy Big Mac Burger"

i think it is the hyundai lantra add.
it says "big 1.8 litre engine".
this is as opposed to the small 1.8 litre available on request.

Trent

Daniel Gordon

Feb 22, 2001, 12:26:17 AM2/22/01
looks basically and a bit of durability for the carpet - i guess it borders
on rice, however could be considered an alternate floormat

i imagine having a car parked in the sun for a bit with no windscreen cover
thing would heat it up - however - if i stop being a derro and actually
start wearing shoes it shouldnt be a problem. I know my footwells get hot
but this is because it has extrordinarily thick carpet - hence im getting
that thin plush pile like say in a VT and puting the checkerplate as my
floormats.

with regards to cost - depends if you get the shitty supercheap plastic
rolls or actual proper metal plates - im not generally a cheap cunt when it
comes to the car so im going for the real metal - dont have a definite price
yet

krawly -- u got icq? 990003 add me if u do

"Norbie" <nor...@norbie.net> wrote in message

Gavin Cato

Feb 22, 2001, 12:57:29 AM2/22/01
> -- The Red Krawler's Girlfriend

Gosh, you must have the patience of a saint.

Gav

The Red Krawler

Feb 22, 2001, 4:29:55 AM2/22/01
>> should the words "powerful" and "1.5 litre" be used in the same sentence?

> i think it is the hyundai lantra add.
> it says "big 1.8 litre engine".
> this is as opposed to the small 1.8 litre available on request.

Maybe they mean they have a big-block 1.8 and a small-block 1.8.....
(Instructions: Take Chev big/small block. Wash in hot water.)

-- The Red Krawler

The Red Krawler

Feb 22, 2001, 4:49:45 AM2/22/01
>> -- The Red Krawler's Girlfriend

> Gosh, you must have the patience of a saint.

She understands.
Most dont.

-- The Red Krawler

The Red Krawler

Feb 22, 2001, 4:52:03 AM2/22/01
> I've driven around in a car with no carpet (just bare steel under your
> feet), and yes it does get quite hot - especially on the side with the
> exhaust pipe underneath! On long trips it can get too hot to touch...

Dont they put something between the checkerplate and steel? ... Underlay
even?

> I don't understand why you'd want checkerplate - is it just there for looks
> or is there some other reason? It's not like carpet is expensive or even
> heavy... and it's much easier on the feet!

Mainly because I'm sick of the carpet getting all scuffed up. And in
every car I've ever been in, the carpets been at least partially
damaged. And how dag does it look when it's worn out under the feet and
that? I just thought checker plate would last alot longer and add a bit
of "wow" to the Kinga.. But if the cost is significantly more than
carpet, I'm not gonna bother.. It's not like it *NEEDS* cehcker plate
(unlike ricers who <snip!>....)

-- The Red Krawler

Al@Work

Feb 22, 2001, 8:25:16 AM2/22/01
Don't what?

--
Al "VOLVOdude" Gardner
@Work

Norbie

Feb 22, 2001, 7:00:23 PM2/22/01

> > I don't understand why you'd want checkerplate - is it just there for
looks
> > or is there some other reason? It's not like carpet is expensive or
even
> > heavy... and it's much easier on the feet!
>
> Mainly because I'm sick of the carpet getting all scuffed up. And in
> every car I've ever been in, the carpets been at least partially
> damaged. And how dag does it look when it's worn out under the feet and
> that?

Simple solution - get those rubber/carpet mats that sit under your feet.
That way the mats wear out and the carpet doesn't get scuffed. I have these
in my Supra and they work a treat. Just make sure you get the mats with the
heavy rubber underside, otherwise they wander all over the place.

Norbie.

The Red Krawler

Feb 23, 2001, 7:42:11 PM2/23/01

> I don't understand why you'd want checkerplate - is it just there for looks
> or is there some other reason? It's not like carpet is expensive or even
> heavy... and it's much easier on the feet!

Its Erin here again. Unfortunatly it isn't my decision on what he does.
I dont think i really have a say in what gets done. Its just one of
andrews stupid thoughts that will never eventuate. (knowing my bad luck
we will prolly be looking at checkerplate at autobarn this arvo!)

Me, I just want the car looking schmicko and sounding schmiko. If I had
my way we would be putting a new interior in and tinting the windows and
putting new mags on it and new front seats and new suspension. But,
unfortunatly there is a limit to what the banks will lend us. But for
now i just gotta keep working hard to get the money to do anything to it.