VL idles rough when warm...

Fletch

Oct 30, 2002, 12:55:11 AM10/30/02
No error code showing, temp sensor has been replacedreplaced.

Basically, when the car is warmed up (say 20km+ at 80kmh+) the car idles
very badly.
On warmer days (like today) it will actually cut out.

It's fine after shorter drives, even at full operating temperature (I
consider operating temperature to be when overdrive begins to engage)

Cooling system checks out, thermostat function fine, temp guage shows normal
readings.

Have recently changed spark plugs and had injectors professionally cleaned
to try to fix this, but no imprivement.

Also, fuel consumption is very high - getting about 6km/L.

Spews grey smoke under hard acceleration, but not chewing oil.

Any ideas ??

cheers

Tom Walker

Oct 30, 2002, 1:10:10 AM10/30/02
Mate had the same prob, turned out to be the air flow sensor... it actually
ran better when DISconnected!?!

Could be a lot of other things though, eg. cold start injector staying on,
thermotime switch reporting constant cold operation. Hard to say really...

TW

"Fletch" <fle...@optushome.com.au> wrote in message

Terry

Oct 30, 2002, 1:21:39 AM10/30/02
In article <3dbf7440$0$14053$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>,
fle...@optushome.com.au says...

Have you checked the computer for fault codes at all? This might
eliminate some of the sensors ie air flow meter.

But what Tom said, the car should not even go if the air flow meter is
disconected.

Charlie

Oct 30, 2002, 4:39:08 AM10/30/02
Fletch wrote:

> Any ideas ??

head gasket gone? not sure if it'd cause those symptoms, but probably
worth a look anyway on a vl...
if the cars running that useless, try disconnecting each efi sensor
(except the important ones :)) one by one. This is assuming the vl
computer will shit itself and compensate somewhat... if it doesn't then
that's probably a bad idea. If you can find info on what the readings
should be, test em all. I was able to do this on my rx7 at the inputs
on the computer, so I could drive and a passenger could tell me the
readings. Made fault diagnosis *very* easy.

Charlie

Chris Wardrop

Oct 30, 2002, 5:47:33 AM10/30/02
Not so fun when the computer isn't spitting out any error codes and
everything is reading fine though. I did seven laps of Fyshwick with the
mechanic today. I was turning lots of heads on the last few, people must of
thought I was nuts, flogging the car then stopping, then driving slow then
flogging it again. Everything was perfect, finally the engine shut down
while idling out the front of the workshop, and still no error code...damn
cars.

Chris Wardrop

"Charlie" <cdriver**remove_this**@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Chris Wardrop

Oct 30, 2002, 5:44:58 AM10/30/02
Actually the mechanic is allegedly one of the best around here, and was
recommended to me by the previous owner of the car who happens to be a
mechanic too. He's got all the diagnostic equipment and it has everyone
stuffed why the computer is not spitting out any error codes. Might have
something to do with the after market memcal (anyone know??)

The oxygen sensor was stuffed, I had a look at the one he pulled out, and it
looked as though it had started to melt. Not too cool at all.

Cheers

> Chris Wardrop wrote:
> >
> > I have a similar problem with my VP, replacing the oxygen sensor fixed
the
> > rough idling, but I'd just as soon driven out of the mechanics when the
> > engine shutdown again. Now he seems to think it might be the ignition
> > module. Heres hoping he gets it right this time, I'm quickly running out
of
> > cash. The really strange thing the computer is not reporting any error
> > codes.
>
> if you're at a parts swapper mechanic, and can't find anyone better, I'd
> suggest having a crack with a multimeter etc yourself. Not that hard,
> and much better than fucking around with incompetents who pretend to
> have a clue but dont...
>
> Charlie

Charlie

Oct 30, 2002, 4:40:52 AM10/30/02

Chris Wardrop

Lord-Data

Oct 30, 2002, 7:35:53 AM10/30/02
Ahh sorry, I lost the thread there somewhere :)

Still, i doubt a custom memcal would affect error codes tho .. as the memcal
is mainly "Settings" .. ie, injection maps and timing and stuff ..

: Michael Saunders (aka, Lord-Data)
: ICQ: 514055
: MSN: gd...@msn.com
: EBay: http://www.ebayshops.com.au/id=30953730
: Current Car: '87 Series II VL Commodore

"Chris Wardrop" <c.wa...@student.adfa.edu.au> wrote in message
> Mines a VP not a VL, easy mistake seeing the subject of the original post.
>
> Chris Wardrop
>
> "Lord-Data" <da...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> > I didnt think VL's did "memcals" as such? Arnt they SMT chips?
> >

> > --

> --
> > : Michael Saunders (aka, Lord-Data)
> > : ICQ: 514055
> > : MSN: gd...@msn.com
> > : EBay: http://www.ebayshops.com.au/id=30953730
> > : Current Car: '87 Series II VL Commodore

Chris Wardrop

Oct 30, 2002, 6:55:03 AM10/30/02
Mines a VP not a VL, easy mistake seeing the subject of the original post.

Chris Wardrop

"Lord-Data" <da...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> I didnt think VL's did "memcals" as such? Arnt they SMT chips?
>

> --

> : Michael Saunders (aka, Lord-Data)
> : ICQ: 514055
> : MSN: gd...@msn.com
> : EBay: http://www.ebayshops.com.au/id=30953730
> : Current Car: '87 Series II VL Commodore

Charlie

Oct 30, 2002, 9:26:07 AM10/30/02
Chris Wardrop wrote:

> Not so fun when the computer isn't spitting out any error codes and
> everything is reading fine though. I did seven laps of Fyshwick with the
> mechanic today. I was turning lots of heads on the last few, people must of
> thought I was nuts, flogging the car then stopping, then driving slow then
> flogging it again. Everything was perfect, finally the engine shut down
> while idling out the front of the workshop, and still no error code...damn
> cars.

error codes are nice, but not always around when they should be...

Charlie

Lord-Data

budgie

Oct 30, 2002, 9:57:54 AM10/30/02

and a lot of "mechanics" don't know how to reset the EMU memory before
checking codes.

Chris Wardrop

Oct 30, 2002, 10:04:08 AM10/30/02
He isn't relying purely on the error codes, I did seven laps around Fyshwick
while he watched all the different readings. Absolutely nothing was wrong,
the car ran fine, then once it was idling back it his workshop the engine
shutdown... you'd think that'd leave an error code right? But no... he seems
to think it could have something to do with the ignition module now...

> Chris Wardrop wrote:
> >
> > Actually the mechanic is allegedly one of the best around here, and was
> > recommended to me by the previous owner of the car who happens to be a
> > mechanic too. He's got all the diagnostic equipment and it has everyone
> > stuffed why the computer is not spitting out any error codes. Might have
> > something to do with the after market memcal (anyone know??)
>

> a lot of places seem to rely on error codes, and assume if it doesn't
> have an error code it can't be a sensor. a sensor can be sending shitty
> messages that are still within the parameters for the ecu to not think
> it's an error... if your blokes relying purely on error codes,
> personally I'd be either finding someone else or working it out myself.
>
> Charlie

Charlie

Oct 30, 2002, 6:10:52 PM10/30/02
Chris Wardrop wrote:

> He isn't relying purely on the error codes, I did seven laps around Fyshwick
> while he watched all the different readings. Absolutely nothing was wrong,
> the car ran fine, then once it was idling back it his workshop the engine
> shutdown... you'd think that'd leave an error code right? But no... he seems
> to think it could have something to do with the ignition module now...

mmmm ok then. Bugger :)

Charlie

Greg Stewart

Oct 31, 2002, 2:47:25 AM10/31/02

"Tom Walker" <psomaggi(nospam)@optusnet.com.au(remove nospam and this)>
wrote in message news:3dbf77c2$0$13599$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au...

> Mate had the same prob, turned out to be the air flow sensor... it
actually
> ran better when DISconnected!?!
>
> Could be a lot of other things though, eg. cold start injector staying on,
> thermotime switch reporting constant cold operation. Hard to say really...

Cold start injector?? what cold start injector??

I would also be looking at the AFM, or the O2 sensor.

Greg.

Waughy

Oct 31, 2002, 6:36:02 AM10/31/02
Cutting out when warm then starting again when cooled down sounds like a
dicky CAS. My old VL did this to me once, was running fine though then just
died. After about an hour of trying to start it (long enough to cool down)
it started but once it was warm again it cut out. As for the smoke, pop the
radiator cap and see how the coolant looks, if it's got oil in it then your
head gasket has blown. Get it done before the head warps. Another thing
could be a blocked cat, messing with the backpressure making the car run
rich. I also had a similar deal here with the muffler guts rusting out, no
smoke but very poor consumption. Got it replaced and things picked up
immediately. Hope you get it sorted.