Macpac Sold Out - New Distribution Channels to Come

Andrew Priest

Feb 19, 2008, 6:48:12 PM2/19/08
G'day

Not sure if this is old news or not. If so please disregard. Anyway
it seems that Macpac has been sold to Mouton Nori

"Macpac has been sold to Mouton Noi [owned by Jan Coleman]r, the
company that owns the Fairydown outdoor equipment and clothing brand.
Product is available through existing stockists until the end of
February and beyond - until their stocks sell-through. The company
that has owned the Macpac brand since its inception in 1975 - Macpac
Wilderness Equipment, will cease trading from 29th February.
It is my understanding the new owners of Macpac will retail directly
to consumers. I recommend you contact Mouton Noir from 1st March for
any queries about where and how they will distribute the brand."
David Binstead - NZ Sales Manager - Macpac

It is my understanding that Fairrydown and Macpac will be sold from
thier own stores. Macpac will cease to be available from indepenent
retailers once stock has run out.

My thanks to Peter for posting the reply from David Binstead to the
Aushiker Yahoo! group.

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://aushiker.blogspot.com

David Springthorpe

Feb 19, 2008, 7:06:47 PM2/19/08
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:48:12 +0900, Andrew Priest <and...@aushiker.com> wrote:

>G'day
>
>Not sure if this is old news or not. If so please disregard. Anyway
>it seems that Macpac has been sold to Mouton Nori

I mentioned it (last ???) week and someone else provided a couple of links but
more info okay.

Andrew Priest

Feb 19, 2008, 7:11:03 PM2/19/08
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:06:47 +1100, David Springthorpe
<david.spr...@idxx.com.au> wrote:

>I mentioned it (last ???) week and someone else provided a couple of links but
>more info okay.

I have been away since mid- December and only just turned on
newsgroups this morning, so just too much to wade through.

Ken

Feb 19, 2008, 7:20:04 PM2/19/08
In article <vaqmr3dnqs0lgmpps...@4ax.com>,
Andrew Priest <and...@aushiker.com> wrote:

> G'day
>
> Not sure if this is old news or not. If so please disregard. Anyway
> it seems that Macpac has been sold to Mouton Nori
>
> "Macpac has been sold to Mouton Noi [owned by Jan Coleman]r, the
> company that owns the Fairydown outdoor equipment and clothing brand.
> Product is available through existing stockists until the end of
> February and beyond - until their stocks sell-through. The company
> that has owned the Macpac brand since its inception in 1975 - Macpac
> Wilderness Equipment, will cease trading from 29th February.
> It is my understanding the new owners of Macpac will retail directly
> to consumers. I recommend you contact Mouton Noir from 1st March for
> any queries about where and how they will distribute the brand."
> David Binstead - NZ Sales Manager - Macpac
>
> It is my understanding that Fairrydown and Macpac will be sold from
> thier own stores. Macpac will cease to be available from indepenent
> retailers once stock has run out.

This has already been discussed. They have several retail stores in NZ so it is
easy to do. In Australia there are no retail stores so I assume business as
usual for the moment.

They are probably looking to set something similar up in Australia. This might
encourage Paddy Pallin and others to fairly quickly stop selling Macpac. One
aspect of the sale of Macpac was they felt they had to get into direct
marketing, it seems there is a lot more money in retailing and distributing,
especially in Australia. Prices compared to the US would make that obvious.

I think Mouton Noi is more than just Jan Coleman, other ex-Kathmandu people as
well.

dunca...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 19, 2008, 8:00:04 PM2/19/08
On Feb 20, 11:20 am, Ken <d...@email.me> wrote:
> In article <vaqmr3dnqs0lgmppst823pe8ggqlh5l...@4ax.com>,
> Andrew Priest <and...@aushiker.com> wrote:

> They are probably looking to set something similar up in Australia. This might
> encourage Paddy Pallin and others to fairly quickly stop selling Macpac.

I'd say that's already started...
http://www.paddypallin.com.au/default.aspx?page=186&Group=331

David Springthorpe

Feb 19, 2008, 8:35:47 PM2/19/08
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:00:04 -0800 (PST), dunca...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

Dunno if it's relevant, but they had been clearing them on eBay quite a while
ago - seems not to be any more listings.....

Ken

Feb 19, 2008, 8:51:22 PM2/19/08
In article <2ca7507d-4a6c-4ea8...@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
dunca...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

They are clearing discontinued lines. However they aren't stocking all the new
products.

Andrew Priest

Feb 20, 2008, 8:14:49 AM2/20/08

>They are probably looking to set something similar up in Australia. This might
>encourage Paddy Pallin and others to fairly quickly stop selling Macpac. One
>aspect of the sale of Macpac was they felt they had to get into direct
>marketing, it seems there is a lot more money in retailing and distributing,
>especially in Australia. Prices compared to the US would make that obvious.

Nothing probable about it. Macpac or rather the new owners, have
withdrawn from supplying exisiting retailers in Australia.

Ken

Feb 20, 2008, 5:19:49 PM2/20/08
In article <1s9or3lh45g68u0i5...@4ax.com>,
Andrew Priest <and...@aushiker.com> wrote:

> >They are probably looking to set something similar up in Australia. This
> >might
> >encourage Paddy Pallin and others to fairly quickly stop selling Macpac. One
> >aspect of the sale of Macpac was they felt they had to get into direct
> >marketing, it seems there is a lot more money in retailing and distributing,
> >especially in Australia. Prices compared to the US would make that obvious.
> >

> Nothing probable about it. Macpac or rather the new owners, have
> withdrawn from supplying exisiting retailers in Australia.

A fairly adventurous move, this is either going to be very successful or a big
failure.

camp...@moutonnoir.co.nz

Feb 21, 2008, 1:31:03 AM2/21/08

Hi Folks, just to clear a few things up...as there is much said which
is inaccurate
1. macpac was purchased by Mouton Noir
2. Mouton Noir is owned by Bernie Wicht ( founder of Bivouac and ex-
partner in Kathmandu), Pierre van Noorden (ex retail development at
Kathmandu) and Campbell Junor ( product/design manager at Kathmandu
95-2000, Mountain Designs 2000-2007)
3. they formed the company and purchased fairydown from previous owner
Alp Sports early 2007
4. currently trading in NZ via 5 company owned stores selling
Fairydown adventure equipment
5. purchased macpac, to take effect 1 march 2008
6. carrying over designer, development, suppliers, manufacturers,
brand values and warranties.
7. plan to offer products to customers via our own stores, reducing
the added cost that customers incur when buying from other retailers.
8. rollout stores in as many areas as we can, as soon as we can
9. open internet sales to cover the time gap before we can have a
physical presence in key locations.
10. Hi Mike W, fancy stocking macpac ;)

cheers
Cam

Ken

Feb 21, 2008, 4:35:48 AM2/21/08
In article <13f7e442-d70d-4d54...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
camp...@moutonnoir.co.nz wrote:

Thanks. As an owner of several Macpac products I obviously wish them to continue
(maybe you could bring back the Ravine pack). It would be sensible to put some
information on the Macpac website.

Ken

Michael C

Feb 21, 2008, 5:38:19 AM2/21/08
Ken wrote:
> Thanks. As an owner of several Macpac products I obviously wish them to continue
> (maybe you could bring back the Ravine pack). It would be sensible to put some
> information on the Macpac website.
>
> Ken

It would also be sensible to put something on the Fairydown website
(apart from the NZ-centric blurb on there currently), as I too am an
(Aussie) fan!

Mick

Andrew Priest

Feb 21, 2008, 7:29:00 AM2/21/08
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:31:03 -0800 (PST), camp...@moutonnoir.co.nz
wrote:

Seems that the only inaccuractecy was my mention of Jan Coleman which
I stand corrected on. The balance of the posting appears to be correct
given your comments.

Cheers

Andrew
-----