What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 5:41:10 PM11/7/07
I am looking to get a new small 5 door car under $20,000
What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily, only having to
take the front wheel off?
yaris,
jazz
fiesta
getz
swift
mazda2

Andrew Priest

Nov 7, 2007, 7:42:55 PM11/7/07

Golf, but then not under $20,000 new at least :-(

Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://www.bicyclewa.com.au/blog/8 http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

Harry 'Snapper' Organ

Nov 7, 2007, 8:19:48 PM11/7/07
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:41:10 -0800, vyaw...@gmail.com wrote in
aus.bicycle:

I am not sure that it does but you should also look at the Mitsubishi
Colt because the rear seats fold right up behind the front seats and
presumably leave a lot of room for a bike. It is also a fairly tall
vehicle and very economical (claims 5.5 lit per 100K). I only know
because have been looking at the same vehicles

It is right in your price range

Regards
Harold

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

Bleve

Nov 7, 2007, 9:05:48 PM11/7/07

2 56cm roadies fit in the back of a barina without drama.

Theo Bekkers

Nov 7, 2007, 9:24:56 PM11/7/07

Where do you put their bikes? :-)

Theo

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 10:29:20 PM11/7/07

> > 2 56cm roadies fit in the back of a barina without drama.

yeah i tried 1 bike in a 3 door barina but my knees were around my
ears.

In the Golf how much room did you have, eg enough for some bags? And
was it a 5 door?

Also as unbelivable as it sounds i saw 3 full size bikes put in the
boot of a commadore, nothing on the backseat. It like i big
dismantleing session. too hard i want to be able to push down the
seats and throw it in.

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 10:35:40 PM11/7/07

> > 2 56cm roadies fit in the back of a barina without drama.

yeah i tried 1 bike in a 3 door barina but my knees were around my

PiledHigher

Nov 7, 2007, 10:43:32 PM11/7/07
I've had 4 54cm roadies in the 5 door Golf (front wheels off only).

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 10:50:43 PM11/7/07

> > 2 56cm roadies fit in the back of a barina without drama.

yeah i tried 1 bike in a 3 door barina but my knees were around my

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 10:51:29 PM11/7/07
they have aero bars? did you have to lower the seat posts?

Theo Bekkers

Nov 7, 2007, 11:02:10 PM11/7/07

This post looks strangely familiar. But no more readable thn the last three
identical ones.

Theo

TimC

Nov 7, 2007, 11:31:14 PM11/7/07
On 2007-11-08, Harry 'Snapper' Organ (aka Bruce)

> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:41:10 -0800, vyaw...@gmail.com wrote in
> aus.bicycle:
>
>>I am looking to get a new small 5 door car under $20,000
>>What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily, only having to
>>take the front wheel off?
>>yaris,
>>jazz
>>fiesta
>>getz
>>swift
>>mazda2
>
> I am not sure that it does but you should also look at the Mitsubishi
> Colt because the rear seats fold right up behind the front seats and
> presumably leave a lot of room for a bike.

I was going to say, do you think they still make the 1981 model? I
don't even recall having to take the front wheel off my teenage sized
bike.

> It is also a fairly tall vehicle and very economical (claims 5.5 lit
> per 100K). I only know because have been looking at the same
> vehicles

I saw a new one recently -- they look ugly. And how can tall still be
fuel efficient? Got to punch through the wind more.

--
TimC
If my head were spinning at relativistic speeds,

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2007, 11:53:23 PM11/7/07

Andrew Priest

Nov 8, 2007, 12:07:36 AM11/8/07
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:35:40 -0800, vyaw...@gmail.com wrote:

>In the Golf how much room did you have, eg enough for some bags? And
>was it a 5 door?

My bike goes into Anne's 07 Golf TDI with the front wheel off no
worries. If you are happy to put bags on top of the bike or vice versa
I can't see it being a problem, but then I haven't tried it either.

You do need to fold the rear seats down flat, so only room for one
passenger.

Theo Bekkers

Nov 8, 2007, 12:10:50 AM11/8/07
TimC wrote:
> Harry 'Snapper' Organ wrote

>> I am not sure that it does but you should also look at the
>> Mitsubishi Colt because the rear seats fold right up behind the
>> front seats and presumably leave a lot of room for a bike.
>
> I was going to say, do you think they still make the 1981 model? I
> don't even recall having to take the front wheel off my teenage sized
> bike.

They've all died a painfull death.

Theo

Donga

Nov 8, 2007, 12:28:19 AM11/8/07
On Nov 8, 2:02 pm, "Theo Bekkers" <tbekk...@bekkers.com.au> wrote:

You mean it's Bratton?

Travis

Nov 8, 2007, 12:31:30 AM11/8/07

My 60cm bike fits in the wife's Yaris if I place it properly, with
only the front wheel removed. I usually remove both wheels though as
it just gives more space to work with.

Travis

G-S

Nov 8, 2007, 3:04:38 AM11/8/07

I can't get my Giant Cypress City into the better halfs Fiesta even with
the seats down and the front wheel off so I'd cross that off your list.

It will go into a Ford Focus CL hatch (which retails at $19,990) but
that's more of a medium sized car.

G-S

RobWoozle

Nov 8, 2007, 5:38:47 AM11/8/07
My Yaris fits my 56cm bike in without taking the wheel off. That's the
road bike. For the mountain bike the front wheel does have to come off.

Rob

lemmiw...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2007, 9:47:25 AM11/8/07
On Nov 8, 9:41 am, vyaw2...@gmail.com wrote:

I'd reckon the stealerships would let you try for fit if you showed up
with a bike.

tim

Nov 8, 2007, 5:52:11 PM11/8/07
On Nov 8, 9:41 am, vyaw2...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am looking to get a new small 5 door car under $20,000
> What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily, only having to
> take the front wheel off?

I've heard of a couple of teams (in the US) who routinely carry a
TANDEM inside a Honda Jazz (or Fit in their market).

Split-fold the rear seat, tilt and push the front passenger seat as
far forward as it will go, and apparently a tandem can be fed in. Both
wheels off, I assume. The passenger has to sit behind the driver (of
course there are two people in the car... it wouldn't make much sense
to carry a tandem if there's only you).

I've never been or even looked inside one, but the Jazz has a
reputation for having extraordinary amounts of room in it for the size
of car it is. I'd be very surprised if it didn't have room for a
single roadie.

Years ago, Mazda used to market the 121 Metro as being able to stand
two fully assembled mountain bikes diagonally in the back (with the
seat down). I always assumed they were midget sized bikes, but there
was a picture on the brochure to verify it.

I used to fit my mountain bike with the rear wheel on in the back of
my '89 Daihatsu Charade. Or I could drop both wheels, and carry the
bike in the back seat.

Small cars are much bigger inside than you would think.

tim

Patrick Keogh

Nov 8, 2007, 11:56:40 PM11/8/07
tim wrote:
> On Nov 8, 9:41 am, vyaw2...@gmail.com wrote:
<<snip>>

> Small cars are much bigger inside than you would think.
>
> tim

Tim, that's great! Now you've told me that I know they are bigger.
But then I read your message again and so now I know they are even
bigger. I think I'll read it over and over again. That way my Golf
will carry four bikes, all the luggage and three passengers!

This will save me a fortune! :-)

Rex

Nov 9, 2007, 6:03:20 AM11/9/07
Barina has a very poor safety rating since Holden went for a Korean model
built by Daewoo.

"Bleve" <carl.I...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Rex

Nov 9, 2007, 6:08:21 AM11/9/07
I'm interested in how the new Skoda Roomster would go.

Looks tall at the back. Apparently there are some bike mounts available for
the luggage area.

And the back seats can be tilted, moved forward, back, sideways or even
removed completely. Also has a 5 star safety rating

<vyaw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

NickP

Nov 9, 2007, 3:18:53 PM11/9/07
My wife's bike fits upright in the back of our 5-door Echo with the front
wheel off and the car rear seat folded down and forward. However, that
layout prevents the front seats from going as far back as normally, so she
has to drive as well.

Nick

Donga

Nov 10, 2007, 12:03:01 AM11/10/07

I fit three large boys and their bags and instruments inside a Honda
Jazz, plus a bike on a towbar rack on the back, then ride to work from
their school. Other people require an SUV for the same job and use
double of everything else too. Mate, that makes me shit hot, and the
others wankers. But we're not as good as those whose kids ride their
bikes to school, but I've not seen one of those. Oh, and yes the Jazz
is cleverly done inside.

Donga

cfsmtb

Nov 12, 2007, 2:16:11 AM11/12/07

Donga Wrote:

> I fit three large boys and their bags and instruments inside a Honda
> Jazz, plus a bike on a towbar rack on the back, then ride to work from
> their school. Other people require an SUV for the same job and use
> double of everything else too. Mate, that makes me shit hot, and the
> others wankers. But we're not as good as those whose kids ride their
> bikes to school, but I've not seen one of those. Oh, and yes the Jazz
> is cleverly done inside.

Read Bike Snobs latest instalment about niche cycling publications?

"Putting All Your Fabergé Eggs In One Basket": How many Colnagos can
you fit in a BMW X5?"

--
cfsmtb

Donga

Nov 12, 2007, 4:17:06 AM11/12/07
On Nov 12, 5:16 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2zx...@no-

Yes, BSNYC is always good for a laugh. One thing I've noticed about
cyclists' X5s - the bikes are often on top. Now I reckon people who
carry bikes on top of cars are like riders who have never fallen -
haven't been at it long enough to drive under the carport.

Patrick Keogh

Nov 12, 2007, 4:45:02 AM11/12/07
Donga,

Nope. I'm a short arse and I transport bikes on top of my X-trail. Which
means I need one or more milk crates to use as a step. I have been
carrying my bikes on top of the car for years, with literally thousands
of kilometers of journeys and my experiences so far are:

- Someone else did drive into the garage door once. Very slight damage
to car, none to rack or garage, had to get new forks for the bike. That
was about ten years ago.
- Hit one low flying tree somewhere out past Brindabella one day.
Knocked the bike half off and bent a fork tip.

Since then (about eight years ago) it has been both-wheels-on Thule
carriers, sometimes up to five bikes on top and not one accident.

On the other hand you can stop at a shop, even go for a beer with little
concern that someone will nick your seat or computer or whatever.
Everything is locked on and out of reach for most folks.

Out in the bush it might seem inconvenient to have to worry about the
extra clearance but I have seen too many bikes knocked around by flying
stones etc. when mounted on the back. I won't carry bikes on my Golf,
instead I purchased one of the bike bags from Ground Effect and the bike
can go inside the car no problem in the bag, with plenty of room for
luggage. There are some advantages to being short!

Donga

Nov 12, 2007, 7:18:03 PM11/12/07

All in all, goes to show, the best place for a bike is between your
legs!
;)

Patrick Keogh

Nov 13, 2007, 1:55:29 AM11/13/07
Can't disagree with that!

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2007, 6:39:12 PM11/28/07
what about a Hyundai i30 or whatever the number is, i forget, it just
won car of the year.
Anyone put a bike in them? 3 door or 5? what was that like? How far
can the drivers seats go back doing that?

I put mine in a 5 door golf the other day only needed to put half the
split seats down plenty of room for 3 people and some groceries
too!!! took front wheel off and seat stayed up, with aero bars on
too.

vyaw...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2007, 6:48:36 PM11/28/07