FR5 on Good Friday? - (Melb)

JayWoo

Mar 31, 2006, 2:37:43 AM3/31/06

What better way to practise *our* religion than by going back to basics
and riding with one gear, be it fixed or free.

Cut & Paste from past FR's
The Route:
'http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf'
(http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf) (\"http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf\")

Start:
07:30 at the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where
glenhuntley crosses the railway line).

Stats:
Distance 35.5k for the loop described.
Ascent 145m nothing too stressful.
GI from 65 to 75, was the range last time.

All just a suggestions, with room to move if anyone else has some
ideas:)

--
JayWoo

ritcho

Mar 31, 2006, 4:03:36 AM3/31/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> What better way to practise *our* religion than by going back to basics
> and riding with one gear, be it fixed or free.
>
> Cut & Paste from past FR's
> The Route:
> 'http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf'
> (http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf) (\"http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf\")
>
> Start:
> 07:30 at the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where
> glenhuntley crosses the railway line).
>
> Stats:
> Distance 35.5k for the loop described.
> Ascent 145m nothing too stressful.
> GI from 65 to 75, was the range last time.
>
> All just suggestions, with room to move if anyone else has some ideas:)

I might actually have my fixie up and running by then... however,
religion prevents me on Good Friday...

Ritch

--
ritcho

gplama

Mar 31, 2006, 4:12:52 AM3/31/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> What better way to practise *our* religion than by going back to basics
> and riding with one gear, be it fixed or free.

Sheldon is the lord!.. No doubt I'll be working that day.. grrr...

--
gplama

Resound

Mar 31, 2006, 4:45:03 AM3/31/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> What better way to practise *our* religion than by going back to basics
> and riding with one gear, be it fixed or free.
>
> Cut & Paste from past FR's
> The Route:
> 'http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf'
> (http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf) (\"http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf\")
>
> Start:
> 07:30 at the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where
> glenhuntley crosses the railway line).
>
> Stats:
> Distance 35.5k for the loop described.
> Ascent 145m nothing too stressful.
> GI from 65 to 75, was the range last time.
>
> All just suggestions, with room to move if anyone else has some ideas:)

I'll be interstate. *pouts*

--
Resound

TimC

Mar 31, 2006, 11:47:55 AM3/31/06
On 2006-03-31, Resound (aka Bruce)

> JayWoo Wrote:
>> 07:30 at the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where
>> glenhuntley crosses the railway line).
>>
>> Stats:
>> Distance 35.5k for the loop described.
>> Ascent 145m nothing too stressful.
>> GI from 65 to 75, was the range last time.
>>
>> All just suggestions, with room to move if anyone else has some ideas:)
>
> I'll be interstate. *pouts*

Dedicated person that I am, I will happily borrow anyone's fixie, as
long as it is the right size (~50cm), and excercise it's right to be
ridden on this very important religious and/or spiritial ride.

--
TimC
Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning. --unknown

Resound

Apr 1, 2006, 12:52:03 AM4/1/06

"TimC" <tcon...@no.spam.accepted.here-astro.swin.edu.au> wrote in message

Well that describes my fixie. The gearing's only about 65" but you can spin,
right? Contact me off list and we can talk about how you pick it up. You'll
need your own pedals as mine are MTB spds.

PiledHigher

Apr 11, 2006, 2:25:08 AM4/11/06
Now that I've seen the post, I am a maybe.....

Depends on logistics!!

Bikesoiler

Apr 11, 2006, 9:09:56 PM4/11/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> What better way to practise *our* religion than by going back to basics
> and riding with one gear, be it fixed or free.
>
> Cut & Paste from past FR's
> The Route:
> 'http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf'
> (http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf) (\"http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf\")
>
> Start:
> 07:30 at the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where
> glenhuntley crosses the railway line).
>
> Stats:
> Distance 35.5k for the loop described.
> Ascent 145m nothing too stressful.
> GI from 65 to 75, was the range last time.
>
> All just suggestions, with room to move if anyone else has some ideas:)

Hmm... Another roll down b!tch Rd on the SS? ...can I fix it before
friday?

Maybe.

--
Bikesoiler

JayWoo

Apr 11, 2006, 9:30:22 PM4/11/06

Bikesoiler Wrote:
> Hmm... Another roll down b!tch Rd on the SS? ...can I fix it before
> friday?
>
> Maybe.
Zat mean the SS is becoming a Fixie or you just need to repair da
SS:confused: :D

--
JayWoo

flyingdutch

Apr 11, 2006, 9:43:27 PM4/11/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> Zat mean the SS is becoming a Fixie or you just need to repair da
> SS:confused: :D

I'm in :D

need to get the fixie 'back on the road' but perfect excuse

can you please book in good weather?
15deg, no wind, blue skies please :D

--
flyingdutch

Dave A

Apr 11, 2006, 10:03:22 PM4/11/06
> can you please book in good weather?
> 15deg, no wind, blue skies please :D
>

> flyingdutch

Ditto. I have been eagerly watching the forecast, as my SS "does not do
wet roads".
It's never been christened so to speak. Don't want to spoil the nice
white paint and clean tyres. :-)

Bikesoiler

Apr 11, 2006, 10:37:01 PM4/11/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> Zat mean the SS is becoming a Fixie or you just need to repair da
> SS:confused: :D

It could become a fixie. Needs a clean too.

--
Bikesoiler

TimC

Apr 11, 2006, 10:45:28 PM4/11/06
On 2006-04-12, Dave A (aka Bruce)

>> can you please book in good weather?
>> 15deg, no wind, blue skies please :D
>
> Ditto. I have been eagerly watching the forecast, as my SS "does not do
> wet roads".
> It's never been christened so to speak. Don't want to spoil the nice
> white paint and clean tyres. :-)

So we christen it on Friday?

Ah, the memories of school children stomping on other's new school
shoes.

--
TimC
Can you keep your witty comments shorter dude? I can't

ritcho

Apr 11, 2006, 11:22:35 PM4/11/06

Sod it. I'll make an effort to join my first FR, Good Friday or not. It
is quite addictive - I went for a fixie ride this morning out to Airport
West, along Western Ring path to Brimbank Park and then down the
Maribyrnong River path home. Nice and peaceful along the river there,
plus, I had a laugh at the motorists on the Tulla Fwy, bumper to bumper
at about 8am (ha ha).

Ritch

PS. Can anyone suggest any double sided SPD pedals with flats (so I
have the option of steet shoes)?

--
ritcho

Dave A

Apr 12, 2006, 2:52:49 AM4/12/06
Whether Forecast is now
"late change with rain" sounds promising

Dutchy. I'm guessing you will be riding to Balwyn after the ride. I''ll
be riding in same direction to Heathmont, do you have a suggested
route. I was thinking Orrong Rd, High St ----Blackburn Rd, Canterbury
Rd.

Cheers
DaveA

PiledHigher

Apr 12, 2006, 7:20:32 AM4/12/06

Better bring a pump for Dutchy!

PiledHigher

Apr 12, 2006, 7:23:17 AM4/12/06

And the lord spake, though shalt not ride your bike on Good Friday.

He really was all knowing....

Rember census 2006: Religion: Cycling

cfsmtb

Apr 12, 2006, 7:49:15 AM4/12/06

Bikesoiler Wrote:
> It could become a fixie. Needs a clean too.

Darling, don't forget it's a *special* type of SS.

An Anointed GOAT SS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64733057@N00/42602129/

http://static.flickr.com/24/42602129_f9619f26f2_b.jpg

--
cfsmtb

cfsmtb

Apr 12, 2006, 7:55:47 AM4/12/06

PiledHigher Wrote:

> And the lord spake, though shalt not ride your bike on Good Friday.
>
> He really was all knowing....
>
> Rember census 2006: Religion: Cycling

. and the Lord did hear the cry of Saint Victor ... and verily came He
down and slew the ... sorry, wrong jape.

Now where was I, aha yes, back on topic:

Madonna del Ghisallo
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/mary0004.htm
Holy days: November 2nd and December 24.

Would it be blasphemous to add August 8th as well?

--
cfsmtb

flyingdutch

Apr 12, 2006, 5:03:48 PM4/12/06

PiledHigher Wrote:

> Better bring a pump for Dutchy!

no, it was loose axle bolt lass toime :rolleyes:

besides the only BR i have flatted on was the only time i brought a
pump, so it stays at home and i depend "on the karndness of
strayngerss" :D

--
flyingdutch

Vincent Patrick

Apr 12, 2006, 7:18:37 PM4/12/06
flyingdutch wrote:

I hope you don't mind my asking - but where did you pick up that Scottish
accent? :-)

Vince

flyingdutch

Apr 12, 2006, 7:28:11 PM4/12/06

Vincent Patrick Wrote:

> I hope you don't mind my asking - but where did you pick up that
> Scottish
> accent? :-)
>
> Vince

oh crap. that was trying to be mah best suthern drawl.

Flying"frankly mah dear. I dont giv a dam"Dutch

--
flyingdutch

JayWoo

Apr 13, 2006, 10:55:19 PM4/13/06

Wow, not a bad turn out, with lots of cool bikes, old & new.:) Pity I
can't read my own posts though:o I've rolled up for a 07:00 start & was
thinking @ 10 past that everyone went soft coz of the tiny bit-o-rain. I
was about to roll off solo & DaveA rolls up... We wait till 7:45 to make
sure everyone is covered & there's 6. We 'loosely' follow the pdf map
down to be-arch rd. It an easy mid 20's pace for most of the way. With
that sniff of a down near Mentone Life Saving C, I got the legs
spinning for a chance to open up the gas to get me over the up. We over
shoot Warrigal rd & do Parkers instead and loose 1. I case, but couldn't
bring him (sorry I'm shite with names) back. The rest re group, & it's
off through the back streets of Mentone. We re join Be-arch rd at the
Black Rock Clock Tower. There's a lot more bunches now and we get
swamped by one but they don't keep their speed and we are engulfed:mad:
I start feel uneasy fixed & brakless in such a big bunch & since they
aren't going faster than us any more I've gota go get some clear rd out
front. I pull up @ the Hampton intersection to wait for the bunch to go
through then sit out the back. I'ts then off up to Glen Huntly rd &
catch what's left of the bunch @ Nepean Hwy & off for Coffee & treats.
Bikesoiler & I roll a steady pace to Clifton Hill. With one small
moment at a roundabout. A car taking its sweat assed time (and rd) to
give way to us entering from our left. More Cafe crawling for us in
Queens Pde, Clifton Hill.

--
JayWoo

Jono L

Apr 14, 2006, 12:17:58 AM4/14/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> More Cafe crawling for us in Queens Pde, Clifton Hill.Degani? Clockwork? Rollini? The list goes on...

Jono

--
Jono L

ritcho

Apr 14, 2006, 1:02:50 AM4/14/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> Wow, not a bad turn out, with lots of cool bikes, old & new.:)
>
> [snip]

The 1963(?) Raleigh frame was an interesting one... I'm not sure I've
seen a functional bike of that age. I don't get out much, evidently.
Today was the furthest I've been on the fixie and (touch wood) I
haven't had any mechanicals yet. There is plenty of rain coming along
on the radar now, so I guess we had the best of the weather. :)

And the muffins. Rasperry and white chocolate. Mmmmm.

Ritch

--
ritcho

JayWoo

Apr 14, 2006, 1:21:24 AM4/14/06

Jono L Wrote:
> Degani? Clockwork? Rollini? The list goes on...
>
> Jono You name dropa you:rolleyes: Tried for Degani (Now there's a
'Muffin')but it was chockers, so it was Rollini... No wonder they had
room, very truckin' *slow*:( Thou me Poor-age twoz noice:)

--
JayWoo

flyingdutch

Apr 14, 2006, 1:48:33 AM4/14/06

ritcho Wrote:
> The 1963(?) Raleigh frame was an interesting one... I'm not sure I've
> seen a functional bike of that age. I don't get out much, evidently.
> Today was the furthest I've been on the fixie and (touch wood) I
> haven't had any mechanicals yet. There is plenty of rain coming along
> on the radar now, so I guess we had the best of the weather. :)
>
> And the muffins. Rasperry and white chocolate. Mmmmm.
>
> Ritch

sorry lads. hangover and signs of wetness made sleeping in the too-easy
option. bad move tho as 'her-indoors' sprung the trap and gave me the
'to-do' list for easter. grrrrr. pleaded good behaviour and played in
shed instead and watched some festival movies instead :D

--
flyingdutch

TimC

Apr 14, 2006, 2:25:30 AM4/14/06
On 2006-04-14, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

> ritcho Wrote:
>> The 1963(?) Raleigh frame was an interesting one... I'm not sure I've
>> seen a functional bike of that age. I don't get out much, evidently.
>> Today was the furthest I've been on the fixie and (touch wood) I
>> haven't had any mechanicals yet. There is plenty of rain coming along
>> on the radar now, so I guess we had the best of the weather. :)
>>
>> And the muffins. Rasperry and white chocolate. Mmmmm.
>
> sorry lads. hangover and signs of wetness made sleeping in the too-easy
> option.

Wasn't it weird? No forecast for rain, but wake up at 0400 to rain
belting down. Get up at 0550, and look at the radar, to find large
blotches of "heavy" rain materialising just east of melbourne, and
then going off to the horizon.

It did stay dry for the entire trip. Glad they all waited for 15
minutes after "start", because I drew myself a map, then couldn't find
neerim st, BECAUSE THERE WAS NO FREAKING STREET SIGN, FSCKERS, then
couldn't work out an alternative way because I only drew in the roads
I thought I would need. Ended up going south to north road, along it,
got to nepean, realised I had gone to far, went back north, and found
a bunch of fixed bikes waiting on the footpath.

Lesson learnt today: Stay in front of the single speeds. They keep on
slowing down when their legs can't keep up anymore :)

--
TimC
>Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

ritcho

Apr 14, 2006, 2:56:14 AM4/14/06

TimC Wrote:

> [snip]

> Lesson learnt today: Stay in front of the single speeds. They keep on
> slowing down when their legs can't keep up anymore :)
>

> --
> TimC
> >Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a
> function.
> You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

What gearing were you on today? Your legs seemed to be really spinning
fast!

Ritch

--
ritcho

TimC

Apr 14, 2006, 3:25:49 AM4/14/06
On 2006-04-14, ritcho (aka Bruce)

> TimC Wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Lesson learnt today: Stay in front of the single speeds. They keep on
>> slowing down when their legs can't keep up anymore :)
>>
> What gearing were you on today? Your legs seemed to be really spinning
> fast!

65" -- I believe Resound has it for hills around his area?

I took great delight in saying naughty things about people with
derailleurs (particularly beach road types) virtually stopping at the
smallest hint of a hill -- when we were in a bunch full of beach road
people with derailleurs. :)

Silly peopums.

Still don't know what my max cadence has been over the last few days.
Did any of you (apart from Jaywoo, who doesn't count because he's
running 85" and was flying much faster than I was) get a max speed?
Perhaps I can work today's max out from that (although I wasn't
actually spinning all that fast compared to the hill I have coming
home).

P.S: Jaywoo -- you are truly insane.

--
TimC
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically

JayWoo

Apr 14, 2006, 5:20:37 AM4/14/06

TimC Wrote:
> On 2006-04-14, ritcho (aka Bruce)
> >
> > TimC Wrote:
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> Lesson learnt today: Stay in front of the single speeds. They keep
> on
> >> slowing down when their legs can't keep up anymore :)
> >>
> > What gearing were you on today? Your legs seemed to be really
> spinning
> > fast!
>
> 65" -- I believe Resound has it for hills around his area?
>
> <chop-suey>

> Still don't know what my max cadence has been over the last few days.
> Did any of you (apart from Jaywoo, who doesn't count because he's
> running 85" and was flying much faster than I was) get a max speed?
>
> <Hiiii-Ya!>
>
> P.S: Jaywoo -- you are truly insaneNah, I was running 81" (48-16).
Max sp: 51.5km/h.
Av sp: 26.7
Dist: 65.7km (Home & back)
And a whopping 260m gained:p

P.S. Am not:)

--
JayWoo

Rory Williams

Apr 14, 2006, 8:06:55 AM4/14/06

ritcho Wrote:
> The 1963(?) Raleigh frame was an interesting one... I'm not sure I've
> seen a functional bike of that age. ..
>
> Ritch

Hi to all and thanks for the group FR today, at least while I could
keep up. The gearing is 40/16 - 67.5" and I ran out of spin.

As I said this morning, the frame serial number dates it to 1963
according to Sheldon Brown's database. It has a few odd features such
as the odd Raleigh head badge and the bottom bracket which is a 70mm
and appears to be bushed down or something to the standard size so it
my have originally been an italian or larger. It also has the remains
of an oiler. While the fork is labelled "gran sport" the remains of
the decal on the seat tube is suggestive of the 'Carlton' logo who made
higher-end frames for Raleigh but then were subsumed into Raleigh
sometime in the 1960's. - All this History is from Sheldon's site.

It's a work in progress. The rear wheel (Ambrosio Montreal singles rim
on a Record track hub) was in my track frame but I switched it over for
the occasion. Today the front wheel is a 27/1 Araya. I have 27/1 rear
wheel built on a Normany double-sided fixed/free hub which will go into
it when I can find a lock ring.

My track bike is probably much older see it at:
http://fixedgeargallery.com/2005/june/RoderickWilliams.htm

Thanks again

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

ritcho

Apr 14, 2006, 8:34:20 AM4/14/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> Nah, I was running 81" (48-16).
> Max sp: 51.5km/h.
> Av sp: 26.7
> Dist: 65.7km (Home & back)
> And a whopping 260m gained:p
>
> P.S. Am not:)

Yes you are :D

Ritch

PS. Oh yes... Max = 44.1, Av = 28.2, Dist = 71.0, Total Ascent =
348m... That's what you get when you have different starting points.
Sheldon's site tells me I was running about 73'' with a 42/15.

--
ritcho

coppershark

Apr 17, 2006, 5:21:14 AM4/17/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> What better way to practise *our* religion than by going back to basics
> and riding with one gear, be it fixed or free.
>
> Cut & Paste from past FR's
> The Route:
> 'http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf'
> (http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf) (\"http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fr_map_1.pdf\")
>
> Start:
> 07:30 at the cafe on the corner of Gordon St & Glenhuntly Rds (where
> glenhuntley crosses the railway line).
>
> Stats:
> Distance 35.5k for the loop described.
> Ascent 145m nothing too stressful.
> GI from 65 to 75, was the range last time.
>
> All just suggestions, with room to move if anyone else has some ideas:)

Just how fast do you blokes ride?

Thanks

Mikeundefined

--
coppershark

TimC

Apr 17, 2006, 6:00:41 AM4/17/06
On 2006-04-17, coppershark (aka Bruce)

> JayWoo Wrote:
>> Stats:
>> Distance 35.5k for the loop described.
>> Ascent 145m nothing too stressful.
>> GI from 65 to 75, was the range last time.
>>
>> All just suggestions, with room to move if anyone else has some ideas:)
>
> Just how fast do you blokes ride?

For the irregular fixed ride, or for the usual Sunday bunch (geared)
ride?

I didn't have a speedo on the fixed I was borrowing, but we kept up
with a regular bunch when we got swallowed up by them on the way back
to the city. I think my cadence probably around mostly 100-120,
running 65", so that's... 31-37 km/hour on the way back?

On the way down, we were going quite a lot slower.... for at least the
first part until Jaywoo kicked up.

--
TimC
If anyone tells me to work smarter, not harder, I will kick him

Dave A

Apr 17, 2006, 7:04:55 PM4/17/06
It's was good to finally make it along to an FR even if it was on an
SS.
The Beach Rd bunch was crazy, three/two/2.5 riders wide, inconsistent
pace, double wheeling. I can see why Jaywoo got out of there, riding
fixed no brakes in that bunch would have been really scary.

My stats.
~ 95k Bundoora-FR-Heathmont
Max 54k Chasing Jaywoo
~ Avg 28 ish

Monday. I got inspired and put the fixed wheel on the SS machine. First
ever fixed ride (only a few Ks down Plenty Rd). It wasn't as scary as I
thought. I took a few pointers from the guys on the FR which also
helped. The most difficult part was the fact that my foot can touch the
front wheel if I try to turn too sharply. Every turn was taken very
carefully. Don't think I'd evey commute fixed, too many drivers doing
stupid things. Looking forward to a bit practice fixed in the next few
weeks.

Cheers DaveA

JayWoo

Apr 18, 2006, 2:44:00 AM4/18/06

Dave A Wrote:
> Monday. I got inspired and put the fixed wheel on the SS machine. First
> ever fixed ride (only a few Ks down Plenty Rd). It wasn't as scary as I
> thought.
Now ya cookin':D
I when into 1x 'Fantasy Land' after Friday & came aross this MoFo;

(!!-Warning major Fixed Pr0n-!!)
http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/album16?&page=1

--
JayWoo

TimC

Apr 18, 2006, 5:28:43 AM4/18/06
On 2006-04-18, JayWoo (aka Bruce)

I like the caption:
http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/album16/aal

Sexy!

--
TimC
Cult: (n) a small, unpopular religion.

coppershark

Apr 18, 2006, 5:57:55 AM4/18/06

Quote:

I didn't have a speedo on the fixed I was borrowing, but we kept up
with a regular bunch when we got swallowed up by them on the way back
to the city. I think my cadence probably around mostly 100-120,
running 65", so that's... 31-37 km/hour on the way back?

On the way down, we were going quite a lot slower.... for at least the
first part until Jaywoo kicked up.

--
A bit too fast for this old bloke, will have to train a bit harder.

Mike

--
coppershark

TimC

Apr 18, 2006, 6:13:16 AM4/18/06
On 2006-04-14, JayWoo (aka Bruce)

That's norw how you mark poor-age!

--
TimC
Error: Fuzzy Pointer Exception

TimC

Apr 18, 2006, 6:17:30 AM4/18/06
On 2006-04-18, coppershark (aka Bruce)

>> I didn't have a speedo on the fixed I was borrowing, but we kept up
>> with a regular bunch when we got swallowed up by them on the way back
>> to the city. I think my cadence probably around mostly 100-120,
>> running 65", so that's... 31-37 km/hour on the way back?
>>
>> On the way down, we were going quite a lot slower.... for at least the
>> first part until Jaywoo kicked up.
> A bit too fast for this old bloke, will have to train a bit harder.

The bunch speed is of course probably inflated over what we'd be doing
alone.

The averages obtained by Jaywoo and ritcho were earlier in the thread:

JayWoo Wrote:

> P.S. Am not:)

Yes you are :D

Ritch

--
TimC
/*-----------------------------------/*
| resides in this rectangular prism. | /
*------------------------------------*/

flyingdutch

Apr 18, 2006, 6:19:20 AM4/18/06

maybe not in a bunch? you ca reliably add on 5kph if draftin/crusin
with 'udders' :D

--
flyingdutch

flyingdutch

Apr 18, 2006, 6:22:07 AM4/18/06

JayWoo Wrote:
> Now ya cookin':D
> I when into 1x 'Fantasy Land' after Friday & came aross this MoFo;
>
> (!!-Warning major Fixed Pr0n-!!)
> http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/album16?&page=1
> Though this is more *my* kinda lady;
> http://www.moyercycles.com/photo_gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9

vair noice!

good to see a fixie wit good laid back angles too. the track-converter
jobs can be scary, not to mention impractical in traffic/on road...

I was lucky enuff to pickup a 'kierin' track bike, thu getting very
raod-like angools.
Might break it out tomorrow, in fact :D

--
flyingdutch

TimC

Apr 18, 2006, 6:46:22 AM4/18/06
On 2006-04-18, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

> coppershark Wrote:
>> Quote:
>> I didn't have a speedo on the fixed I was borrowing, but we kept up
>> with a regular bunch when we got swallowed up by them on the way back
>> to the city. I think my cadence probably around mostly 100-120,
>> running 65", so that's... 31-37 km/hour on the way back?
>>
>> On the way down, we were going quite a lot slower.... for at least the
>> first part until Jaywoo kicked up.
>>
>> --
>> A bit too fast for this old bloke, will have to train a bit harder.
>
> maybe not in a bunch? you ca reliably add on 5kph if draftin/crusin
> with 'udders' :D

Although you may want brakes on your fixie, because those bitch-road
types who have never seen a hill in their life, keep on almost
stopping for no apparent reason :)

I went to Uno today (yay new knicks... and skullcap... and gloves
(with fingers that haven't ripped apart and palm still intact)... and
booties!), and the guy behind the counter was talking to another guy
about fixies -- the customer got on his first one last week. I talked
to the counter guy, and he's talking of doing the PBP on his fixie; he
did the great divide last year on one, ATB of course, and one other
important ride that I can't remember (he was wearing an AAC shirt, I
wonder if he did it on a fixie? Nah, not possible) etc.

--
TimC
You cannot kill Tim without fracturing eternity. -- sjc on AFDA

cfsmtb

Apr 18, 2006, 7:04:38 AM4/18/06

TimC Wrote:
> I talked to the counter guy, and he's talking of doing the PBP on his
> fixie; he did the great divide last year on one, ATB of course, and one
> other
> important ride that I can't remember (he was wearing an AAC shirt, I
> wonder if he did it on a fixie? Nah, not possible) etc.

That be Alan Tonkin. Why don't you think it's possible?!?

--
cfsmtb

DaveB

Apr 18, 2006, 7:13:01 AM4/18/06
TimC wrote:
> I went to Uno today (yay new knicks...

I think we can all say yay to that ;)

DaveB

rooman

Apr 18, 2006, 7:17:13 AM4/18/06

cfsmtb Wrote:
> That be Alan Tonkin. Why don't you think it's possible?!?
yep, that be possible...Alan's been round a while and done a lot of
Audax miles/klms on all sorts of things...nice bloke too

--
rooman

flyingdutch

Apr 18, 2006, 7:12:01 AM4/18/06

cfsmtb Wrote:
> That be Alan Tonkin. Why don't you think it's possible?!?

it wood indeed. I hope I'm as strong as him at the same age :(

last time i spoke 2 him, he was ridin 69" but thinking of upping it in
prep for PBP.

--
flyingdutch

TimC

Apr 18, 2006, 7:45:13 AM4/18/06
On 2006-04-18, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

AAC? How are you meant to go at 80km/h on a fixie? :)

--
TimC
Rule 46 of the Oxford Union Society in London reads, "Any member introducing a

cfsmtb

Apr 18, 2006, 8:21:59 AM4/18/06

TimC Wrote:

> AAC? How are you meant to go at 80km/h on a fixie? :)

Simple. Ask him.

--
cfsmtb

JayWoo

Apr 18, 2006, 5:44:16 PM4/18/06

flyingdutch Wrote:
> ... the track-converter jobs can be scary, not to mention impractical in

> traffic/on road...
>
> I was lucky enuff to pickup a 'kierin' track bike, thu getting very
> road-like angools.
> Might break it out tomorrow, in fact :DI love riding my trackie on za rd. I love the feel of the different geo.
For me it makes it more precise with negotiating traffic. Though it's
not something I can ride for hours possi wise. Not a real issue for me
due to the leg & brain power required to go for hours brakeless.

--
JayWoo

PiledHigher

Apr 19, 2006, 2:27:59 AM4/19/06

Take your feet out of the pedals and let it spin.

Not a skill I've mastered or one I would suggest that TimC tries but
very possible.

Resound

Apr 19, 2006, 3:46:55 AM4/19/06

"PiledHigher" <Piled...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Either that or push a 120" gear and spin like a maniac.

ritcho

Apr 19, 2006, 6:21:33 AM4/19/06

_DON'T_ suggest TimC do that!!! (or anyone else with an ounce of
sense).

Crazy people, it's ok there's no sugar, can go right ahead :D

Ritch

--
ritcho