Navigation images for front page - take 2

Chris Watkins

Feb 20, 2009, 4:31:25 AM2/20/09
to Appropedia community, Vergil Mueller
(Sorry for the last email - I thought I'd saved it to drafts, but sent it by mistake, half-finished.)

Making a nice-looking, navigation-based front page is a high priority. That means we need good images for key categories - the idea is to show them in thumbnail form next to the category links..

Here are the ones I've found - they'll need to be cropped to the same aspect ratio (square is easiest), and of course they'll all be the same size when used. If noone has a better image or advice, I'll go with my favorite image (listed first) for each category.

Community:

My favorite:

A photo of Takoma Village Cohousing with some of its residents, April 2002

(that's a co-housing community.)

Alternatives include:

Food and agriculture:

This is my favorite:
Alternatives include:

Nectarines summer 20…

--
Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es

henry jean-luc

Feb 23, 2009, 3:53:42 PM2/23/09
to appropedia...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You (we) could also chose a lot of different images and make them change every day or every week with a simple template using magic words (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Magic_words#Date_.26_time) and parser functions.

Example for 1 image for each month:

{{#switch: {{CURRENTMONTH}}
|01=[[Image:4-Stroke-Engine.gif]]
|02=[[Image:4-Stroke-Engine.gif]]