[AOLSERVER] AOLserver mailing lists have now moved to SourceForge

Dossy Shiobara

Oct 27, 2011, 12:42:32 AM10/27/11
to AOLS...@listserv.aol.com
Dear AOLserver Community,

On October 17th, AOL has informed us that they will be discontinuing
their LISTSERV service as of November 1st, 2011. For over 10 years now,
the AOLserver community's email lists have been hosted through this
offering.

Since the AOLserver open source project is currently hosted at
SourceForge, it only seemed fitting to move our mailing lists over to
the Mailman list offering that SourceForge provides. I have migrated
all current subscribers from LISTSERV to Mailman.

NOTE: You may receive several copies of this email, as I'm sending it to
the new Mailman lists as well as the previous LISTSERV lists, to ensure
that everyone will receive at least copy of this message.

You can manage your mailing list preferences on the following page:

https://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=3152

There are three mailing lists:

1) AOLserver Announcements

aolserver...@lists.sourceforge.net

This is a low-traffic, announcement-only mailing list.

2) AOLserver Discussion List

aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net

This is the general-purpose discussion mailing list for the
AOLserver community.

3) AOLserver Commit Notifications

aolserve...@lists.sourceforge.net

This list receives all source code commit notification messages and
is primarily intended for developers who wish to receive these
notifications.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way for me to import the
previous LISTSERV archives into the new Mailman setup, so our 10+ years
of past activity won't be accessible through the SourceForge archives.

Fortunately, there are other list archive services out there who have
mirrored our mailing lists, so archives should continue to be available
that way:

http://www.mail-archive.com/aols...@listserv.aol.com/
http://www.mail-archive.com/aolserver...@listserv.aol.com/

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.aolserver

As always, if there are any questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact me or the aolserver-talk list to discuss.

Thanks,

Dossy Shiobara

--
Dossy Shiobara | "He realized the fastest way to change
do...@panoptic.com | is to laugh at your own folly -- then you

--
AOLserver - http://www.aolserver.com/

To Remove yourself from this list, simply send an email to <list...@listserv.aol.com> with the
body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the Subject: field of your email blank.

Steve Manning

Oct 27, 2011, 3:57:26 AM10/27/11
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Thanks for doing this Dossy.
--
Steve Manning <st...@manning.net>

Francesco Paolo Lovergine

Oct 28, 2011, 8:40:35 AM10/28/11
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 08:57:26AM +0100, Steve Manning wrote:
> Thanks for doing this Dossy.

Dossy, could you please remove the subject auto-tagging used in mailman?
It is quite tedious and filterig can be done easily by other header fields,
such as X-BeenThere or what else.

Thanks

--
Francesco P. Lovergine

Fernando Cassia

Oct 28, 2011, 9:55:48 AM10/28/11
to Dossy Shiobara, AOLserver Announcements, AOLserver Discussion, AOLserver Discussion, AOLserver Announcements

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 01:42, Dossy Shiobara <do...@panoptic.com> wrote:
discontinuing
their LISTSERV service as of November 1st, 2011.

What were the reasons cited? Just curious.

FC
--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code

Lamar Owen

Oct 28, 2011, 10:06:23 AM10/28/11
On Friday, October 28, 2011 08:40:35 AM Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 08:57:26AM +0100, Steve Manning wrote:
> > Thanks for doing this Dossy.

> Dossy, could you please remove the subject auto-tagging used in mailman?
> It is quite tedious and filterig can be done easily by other header fields,
> such as X-BeenThere or what else.

I want to thank Dossy for accomplishing this as well.

I also want to express that I know of e-mail readers that have more difficulty than some in dealing with other headers for filtering; I personally use Kmail, which doesn't have this problem, but I do know of people using webmail systems where it is easier to sort by subject, and the subject tagging assists greatly in dealing with lists for them.

I personally prefer subject tagging for other reasons, but it doesn't really matter for my e-mail reader....

Dossy Shiobara

Oct 28, 2011, 1:18:23 PM10/28/11
to AOLserver Discussion
On 10/28/11 9:55 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> What were the reasons cited? Just curious.

No reasons were given by AOL. None that I received, anyway.