[AOLSERVER] Fatal error laoding aolserver4-nssha1

Iuri Sampaio

May 19, 2013, 9:37:13 PM5/19/13
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi there,

In attempt to install OpenACS from scratch on ubuntu precise 12.04 I got the following error on aolserver4-nssha1. "could not find Ns_ModuleInit"

When I start up aolserver service I get a warning then a fatal error as decribed bellow:

[19/May/2013:19:27:15][18052.714974976][-main-] Notice: modload: loading '/usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nssha1.so'
[19/May/2013:19:27:15][18052.714974976][-main-] Warning: modload: could not find Ns_ModuleInit in /usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nssha1.so
[19/May/2013:19:27:15][18052.714974976][-main-] Fatal: modload: failed to load module '/usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nssha1.so'

I verified that both files are correctly in place
/usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nssha1.so
/usr/lib/aolserver4/lib/libnssha1.so

Furthermore, I installed aolserver packages via apt-get

I believe the package available on ubuntu repository was compiled without Ns_ModuleInit block.

Although, I'm reluctant to believe so I removed nssha1 and installed again fro tarball and the problem was solved.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
or if my assumption is valid?

Best wishes,
Iuri

Jack Schmidt

May 20, 2013, 12:16:25 AM5/20/13
to Iuri Sampaio, aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
You should check the ldd of your nssha1.so modules just to see if the libraries compiled are OK.

2013/5/20 Iuri Sampaio <iuri.s...@gmail.com>

"A scrum a day keeps the pigs at bay"

Jeff Rogers

May 20, 2013, 12:23:22 AM5/20/13
to Iuri Sampaio, aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
It's not that hard to believe that a distro could have a link error in a
less-used package (which aolserver probably is, alas). Especially since
that particular missing symbol error is (if it is what I think it is)
fairly new and related to gcc changes in default symbol visibility, and
the fix is only in the most recent tarfiles (or cvs).

-J

Steve Manning

May 20, 2013, 3:55:50 AM5/20/13
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Luri

I've hit this error myself when compiling for Ubuntu. The package maintainer needs to add this CFLAG to the Makefile -Wl,--no-as-needed before compiling.

It's explained here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14329967/missing-a-library-in-ldd-after-using-gcc-l

Regards

    Steve
http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d

Steve Manning - Ubuntu Linux 11.10 - Gnome 3.0
East Goscote - Leicester - UK +44(0)116 260 5457
E-Mail: St...@Manning.net - Web: www.festinalente.co.uk
Twitter: Verbomania - IM: Verbomania
Public Key: 25665CAF from wwwkeys.pgp.net

There are only 10 types of people in this world
Those who understand binary and those who don't

Gustaf Neumann

May 20, 2013, 9:17:10 AM5/20/13
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Iuri,

the aolserver4-nssha1 package is maintained by Francesco Lovergine.
Please submit a bug-report to the debian packages
http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/aolserver4-nssha1.html

best regards
-gustaf neumann

Am 20.05.13 09:55, schrieb Steve Manning:
--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Gustaf Neumann
Institute of Information Systems and New Media

Iuri Sampaio

May 22, 2013, 9:09:51 PM5/22/13
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Gustaf,

The situation is even worst.

I went further in the analyzing aolserver4-* packages. So far, I found
problems on aolserver4-nspostgres and aolserver4-core.

aolserver4-core installation via apt-get doesn't create required folder
and files

/usr/share/aolserver4/
/usr/share/aolserver4/ns.mak
/usr/share/aolserver4/nsmakeall.tcl
/usr/share/aolserver4/nsremove.tcl
/usr/share/aolserver4/debian.substvars
/usr/share/aolserver4/Makefile.module
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsdb.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsattributes.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nspd.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsthread.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsextmsg.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/ns.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/Makefile.global
/usr/share/aolserver4/nsinstall.tcl

Furthermore, aolserver4-nspostgres has error when booting up aolserver.
Similar to what happened to aolserver4-nssha1. There are errors within
nspostgres.so. I believe it wasn't properly compiled to a .deb pkg as well

8:15:44][31887.18446744073291147008][-main-] Notice: modload: loading
'/usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nspostgres.so'
[22/May/2013:18:15:44][31887.18446744073291147008][-main-] Warning:
modload: could not find Ns_DbDriverInit in
/usr/lib/aolserver4/bin/nspostgres.so
[22/May/2013:18:15:44][31887.18446744073291147008][-main-] Error: dbdrv:
failed to load driver 'postgres'
[22/May/2013:18:15:44][31887.18446744073291147008][-main-] Error:
dbinit: no such default pool 'pool1'
[

The best is whether to stick with the painful installation from source
or be under old debian versions

Best wishes,

Iuri Sampaio

May 22, 2013, 9:51:05 PM5/22/13
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi,

So far I resolved the issues. I made a few work around that I believe it's worthwhile sharing here:

As previous emails I got errors with aolserver4-core, aolserver4-nspostgres, aolserver4-nssha1 and libthread2.7.0

To fix errors of aolserver4* I did the following:

1. I installed them using ubuntu 12.04 precise pangolin offical repos.
apt-get install aolserver4-core aolserver4-nssha1 aolserver-nspostgres

2. Once them installed, I downloaded .deb pkgs from an older version and placed them within /usr/local/src/ for instance.
Not that old versions. I didn't want to miss too much of new code from possible new releases that would have come with ubuntu precise.
I haven't checked if their packages were update from lucid to precise. I'm hoping they weren't.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/web/aolserver4-core
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/web/aolserver4-nspostgres
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/web/aolserver4-nssha1

3. Then I extracted their files by running dpkg -x <packagename.deb> and copied *.so libs over their respective at /usr/lib/aolserver4/bin and /usr/lib/aolserver4/lib.  (*** I replaced their libs with *.so old versions.)

4. Then I copied the whole directory /usr/share/aolserver4 I have in another machine and created the symbolic link within /usr/lib/aolserver4/include to /usr/share/aolserver4/include

5. After all that, I was able to compile and install tcl libthread2.6.5.

6. And Aolserver4.5 loaded up with no errors at error.log.
http://experiences.planetnatopia.com

7. Then I gave a deep last breath and told to myself: "What a mess!"

Best wishes,
Iuri Sampaio

David Osborne

May 23, 2013, 4:46:37 AM5/23/13
On 23 May 2013 02:09, Iuri Sampaio <iuri.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gustaf,

The situation is even worst.

I went further in the analyzing aolserver4-* packages. So far, I found
problems on aolserver4-nspostgres and aolserver4-core.

aolserver4-core installation via apt-get doesn't create required folder
and files

/usr/share/aolserver4/
/usr/share/aolserver4/ns.mak
/usr/share/aolserver4/nsmakeall.tcl
/usr/share/aolserver4/nsremove.tcl
/usr/share/aolserver4/debian.substvars
/usr/share/aolserver4/Makefile.module
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsdb.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsattributes.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nspd.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsthread.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/nsextmsg.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/include/ns.h
/usr/share/aolserver4/Makefile.global
/usr/share/aolserver4/nsinstall.tcl

Not sure entirely what was looking for these files but what you've listed here looks to be the contents of the aolserver4-dev package.

--
David Osborne
Qcode Software Limited

Francesco P. Lovergine

May 27, 2013, 7:39:55 AM5/27/13
to Steve Manning, aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 08:55:50AM +0100, Steve Manning wrote:
> Luri
>
> I've hit this error myself when compiling for Ubuntu. The package
> maintainer needs to add this CFLAG to the Makefile
> -Wl,--no-as-needed before compiling.
>
> It's explained here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14329967/missing-a-library-in-ldd-after-using-gcc-l
>
> Regards

That's due to recent changes in default building options, I will try to issue
an update for wheezy for all modules, in order to have them working. Hopefully
it will be accepted as such by stable release managers.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine

Gustaf Neumann

Aug 14, 2013, 5:27:46 AM8/14/13
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
For everybody still facing this problem and googling to this
thread: It is possible to fix this bug temporarily without
waiting until the changes are played back into the ubuntu
channels. Get the debian sources, add the flag yourself,
repackage and install the debian package. For details, see
here: http://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=4074442

best regards
-gustaf neumann