[AOLSERVER] Thread safety Tcl's socket command vs ns_sockopen

David Osborne

Jun 13, 2012, 5:18:46 AM6/13/12
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi,
There was some discussion in the past about Tcl's socket command not being thread safe with the recommendation being that ns_sockopen should be used instead.

Does anyone know if this is still the case in Tcl 8.5 or have things moved on? I can't find any reference to thread safety of socket in the more recent documentation.

Thanks in advance.
--
David Osborne
Qcode Ltd

Gustaf Neumann

Jun 13, 2012, 9:33:17 AM6/13/12
to aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net

There are no issues with the thread safety of the Tcl socket command, we use it regularly on a busy server (up to 10mio hits per day) with tcl 8.5.11.

-gustaf neumann

David Osborne

Jun 14, 2012, 6:28:58 AM6/14/12
to Gustaf Neumann, aolserv...@lists.sourceforge.net
Thanks very much for the info Gustaf. We'll have a go at migrating from ns_sockopen to Tcl socket in that case!

Regards,

--
David Osborne
Qcode Ltd