A little open archaeology

Chris Puttick

Mar 21, 2010, 9:17:08 AM3/21/10
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Be gentle, it hasn't been properly load tested yet, and preferably
don't blog/tweet/<insert correct terminology for adding stuff to
facebook/linkedin/networking site of choice> about it for a week or so
while more content gets added... But anyway, OA Library is up:

http://library.thehumanjourney.net/

Primarily grey literature at the moment, anything born digital;
shortly we will be scanning the older analogue stuff to a text
searchable PDF using a nifty add-on for our Canon MFPs, followed by
adding PDFs of published works. A spatially-enabled search should also
come online in a few months, probably based on the solution used for
the Vivien Swan Roman kiln site
(http://mapdata.thehumanjourney.net/vgswandb_map.html)

Comments/thoughts/bug reports to this list please...

Cheers

Chris

--
My employers website: http://thehumanjourney.net - opinions in this
email are however very much my own and may not reflect that of my

Documents attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format:
http://iso26300.info

Stefano Costa

Mar 21, 2010, 10:21:59 AM3/21/10
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno dom, 21/03/2010 alle 13.17 +0000, Chris Puttick ha scritto:

> Be gentle, it hasn't been properly load tested yet, and preferably
> don't blog/tweet/<insert correct terminology for adding stuff to
> facebook/linkedin/networking site of choice> about it for a week or so
> while more content gets added... But anyway, OA Library is up:
>
> http://library.thehumanjourney.net/

Chris,
it's definitely something I'd like to see more and more in the next few
years. Being all based on open source software adds even more points,
from my point of view.

> Primarily grey literature at the moment, anything born digital;
>

> Comments/thoughts/bug reports to this list please...

One important question: I see no explicit license for the documents that
are available for download.

While I hope the license can be open (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA for example -
http://opendefinition.org/ ), I would strongly recommend to state it
explicitly, even if it is "all rights reserved" or anything else.

An open license would allow for all kinds of derivative works, and I see
a huge potential for OA Library in this direction.

Ciao,
steko

--
Stefano Costa
http://www.iosa.it/ Open Archaeology

signature.asc

Chris Puttick

Mar 21, 2010, 10:24:49 AM3/21/10
to anti...@googlegroups.com

Fair point, never occurred to us because we're so deep into the open
archaeology thing; I guess we were assuming CC-BY-SA, proper
viral-like :)

Tom Goskar

Mar 21, 2010, 4:31:08 PM3/21/10
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

This is great news. Nice use of ePrints, and great to see more grey
literature reports gradually becoming more colourful... :-)

I would love to be releasing the WA reports under a CC license, but
it's very hard to do when you have Ordnance Survey mapping (albeit
rasterised) in most of them. Have you rasterised your OS maps? The
licensing conditions are very strict, and when we checked, they
insisted that we do this.

One day, hopefully, there will be a federated search of all archaeology reports.

All good news!

Cheers,

Tom

Paul Cripps

Mar 23, 2010, 11:08:53 AM3/23/10
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Ah the joys of OS licensing, and in a thread about open data too, oh the
irony ;-)