Reading without punctuation

Vitezslav Svoboda

Dec 5, 2011, 2:19:01 AM12/5/11
to AnkiDroid
I use SVOX to read flashcards on my travels (automode). Everything is
OK, but my voice (US English Grace) reads punctuation (comma,slash,dot
etc). For example simple text "They´re all well, thank you." reads:
They apostrophe re all well comma thank you dot. Don't you know how
to treat?

Nicolas Raoul

Dec 5, 2011, 2:26:00 AM12/5/11
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vitezslav,

Could you please give us a list of Android apps that do not read the
punctuation with SVOX?
Preferably open source apps, so that we can check how they do.
I will help us a lot to solve this problem :-)

Thanks for your feedback!
Nicolas Raoul

nobnago

Dec 5, 2011, 3:34:23 AM12/5/11
to AnkiDroid
we strip the text of all html-stuff. So we just need to strip all
punktuation marks too... Maybe replace them with spaces to prevent
outcomes like "theyre"?

Nicolas Raoul

Dec 5, 2011, 3:47:36 AM12/5/11
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
It could be a solution indeed.

When searching I have seen that SVOX is good at modifying its tone
according to punctuation, for instance make a small stop after a
comma, etc.
So maybe it is a SVOX general option or some argument we need to
somehow pass to SVOX?

Anyone knows an open source app that plays punctuation nicely?

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul

edawdler

Dec 5, 2011, 6:15:14 AM12/5/11
to AnkiDroid
Hi Nicolas,

> Anyone knows an open source app that plays punctuation nicely?

FBReader + FBReader TTS Plugin (both free) play punctuation nicely
with my Loquendo Suthan

PS:
I have another slightly annoying issue with TTS. The engine always
reads tags when they are displayed on the sreen as {{tags}}
Could you, please, think of writing an exception for user and
technical tags it in a future release?

Nicolas Raoul

Dec 20, 2011, 4:16:31 AM12/20/11
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi edawdler,

FBReader is open source. We should spy their TTS code and steal it!

I created an issue for the other issue you reported:
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/issues/detail?id=906

Thanks for helping make AnkiDroid better!
Nicolas Raoul

Nicolas Raoul

Dec 20, 2011, 4:23:19 AM12/20/11
to anki-a...@googlegroups.com
Apparently there was no issue for the punctuation problem, here it is:
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/issues/detail?id=907

Nicolas Raoul