Audio issue in ics-x86

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 14, 2011, 12:54:57 AM12/14/11
to Android-x86
Hi,
You may already know audio still doesn't work in ics-x86.
Actually this is not an x86 specific issue.
As far as I know, this is a general issue of all ICS porting.
(except the targets officially supported by Google)
The basic reason is Google changed (again) some
interfaces: a new audio hal interface.

From my understanding, there are two approaches to
conquer the problem.

Approach 1: the old interface still exists in ics tree but
be moved to a new namespace called android_audio_legacy.
We need to modify the original implementation to use
the new namespace. A reference using this approach
is the goldfish target (SDK emulator).
The source can be found at device/generic/goldfish/audio/.
I also noticed Cyanogenmod fixed qsd8k audio by the approach.
( http://review.cyanogenmod.com/10303 )

I've worked out a patch for hardware/alsa_sound already.
It builds but still not work as expected, mediaserver continues
crashing. Anyway, I've put the result to our git so
the community may help to solve it.
To build it, you need to set BOARD_USES_ALSA_AUDIO:=true
in your BoardConfig.mk and add
audio.primary.$(TARGET_PRODUCT),
audio_policy.$(TARGET_PRODUCT) to PRODUCT_PACKAGES.

Approach 2: implement an audio hal library using the new interface.
A reference implementation can be found in
device/samsung/tuna/audio/ of aosp tree.
(note the directory doesn't exist in ics-x86 tree)
Actually it can be built with ics-x86 without error.
However, it still doesn't work. Some simple debugging
shows it's probably due to wrong parameters of mixer
and audio routing path. But how to correct it is beyond
my knowledge.

Due to my limited spare time and skills,
I do hope some experts could join and help to solve the issue.

Regards,
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Robert Sharp

Dec 14, 2011, 3:07:48 AM12/14/11
to Android-x86

On Dec 13, 11:54 pm, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:

> Approach 1: the old interface still exists in ics tree but
>   be moved to a new namespace called android_audio_legacy.

Ok, I understand your instructions on how to try Approach #1.

> Approach 2: implement an audio hal library using the new interface.
>   A reference implementation can be found in
>   device/samsung/tuna/audio/ of aosp tree.

Re: Approach #2, I am not clear on how to get that tree into my ICS
tree and build it.

I'm not new to screwing around with kernel source, or checking code in/
out with various tools -- however this project and Git are both new
and unfamiliar to me. If I missed a document on how to do this, I
won't be offended if you simply direct me there.

Thanks!

-Rob

Ron M

Dec 14, 2011, 3:55:20 AM12/14/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I would like to add on to that
Same background - and same android-x86/GIT newbie-ness.
Would be glad to share efforts with you Robert.

Ron

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 16, 2011, 2:06:49 AM12/16/11
to Android-x86
OK, seems I've made it work using approach 1.
Need more testing and clean up.
Will upload new testing image later.

2011/12/14 Chih-Wei Huang <cwh...@android-x86.org>:

rvdb

Jan 12, 2012, 8:16:37 AM1/12/12
to Android-x86
Sorry if this is a silly question.
But where is the source for the new audio
I can not find device/generic/goldfish/audio/

Greetings René