Necessitas SDK Beta Update 1

Ray Donnelly

Dec 17, 2012, 2:50:11 PM12/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It is with great pleasure that I’d like to announce the Necessitas SDK
Beta Update 1.

General Changes and Fixes:
Added Android SDK 17.
Updated to latest Android Platform-tools (Rev. 16).
Updated to latest Android SDK Tools (Rev. 21).
Better custom ROM compatibility (where ps is busybox instead of toolbox). [1]
Application output “stop” button fix. [2]

Windows Fixes:
Changes to QProcess handling of adb.exe which fix most of the adb.exe
hanging issues. [3]
New adb.exe which fixes the remaining hanging issue (note, comms
encryption not yet supported). [4]
Fix bug where the Cdb debugging engine was used for Android debugging [5] & [6]

Mac OS X Fixes:
Fix (likely) bug where the Llvm debugging engine was used for Android
debugging [5] & [6]

We’d like to extend many thanks and Xmas greetings to:
KDE, Digia, Google, #necessitas on freenode, the necessitas-devel ML
and the android-qt ML.

Best regards,

The Necessitas team.

[1] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=android-qt-creator.git&a=commit&h=5ecc95a017bf144ce73bc28458ad2aa45bbe2bd9
[2] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=android-qt-creator.git&a=commit&h=f3cd629e731181dc29aeac9ffffa96c2d572e3d9
[3] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=android-qt-creator.git&a=commit&h=2477c898c569c3be79007227ed9ac9ef3fb3ebfe
[4] http://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/46992/
[5] http://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/android-qt/5oOdmJ1cgMM
[6] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=android-qt-creator.git&a=commit&h=91f2abfc69e1b6401aee6814a49c62a2f7864347

Adam Pigg

Dec 17, 2012, 3:05:02 PM12/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Will this update ok from the updater on linux?  Are there any adb fixes for linux?

Ray Donnelly

Dec 17, 2012, 3:21:46 PM12/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

We're not aware of any bad adb issues on Linux.

I have seen one adb problem on all 3 hosts that's very intermittent.
Basically, Qt Creator is waiting for devices from adb, but the device
never gets enumerated. You can see this case if you do "adb devices"
and it shows none.

To get it to continue, do:
adb kill-server
adb start-server

Cheers,

Ray.

Nalin Savara

Dec 17, 2012, 3:22:29 PM12/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Adam Pigg <pig...@gmail.com> wrote:
Will this update ok from the updater on linux?  Are there any adb fixes for linux?

yeoh! yeoh!
same ques for mac-os-X mountain lion... will it update ok from macos x mountain lion ?
Any adb fixes for that ?

Also... Merry Christmas and HNY 2013 in advance Ray, Bogdan and all of Necessitas team!!!

Thanks for your excellent efforts...

-Nalin

Ray Donnelly

Dec 17, 2012, 4:36:16 PM12/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam & Nalin,

Yes the updater should work fine for all hosts.

If you've got some references to these adb issues then please point me at them.

I'm assuming they're Qt Creator hangs? If so can you please check the
output from adb devices, and also try adb kill-server then adb
start-server to see if that gets things going again.

The change I made was to use QProcess::kill instead of
QProcess::terminate due to significant behavioural differences between
the two on Windows. On Mac and Linux, the difference is in the signal
that gets sent:

http://rackerhacker.com/2010/03/18/sigterm-vs-sigkill/

..so perhaps kill will work out to be a bit more reliable; I'd not
count on it, but we'll see.

Cheers,

Ray.

Adam Pigg

Dec 17, 2012, 4:43:17 PM12/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
yeah, if i recall, killing adb generally fixes it...my specific problem is i have 2 tablets, and on one of them adb/usb debugging is quite unreliable because if seems to turn off whenever the screen goes to sleep.  the other one is fine.

Ray Donnelly

Dec 17, 2012, 4:47:31 PM12/17/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Well, if there's no option to keep the screen awake during debugging
then you might be able to use a custom ROM on the tablet instead. I
added custom ROM support (busybox) that could help if you wanted to
try this.

cb7...@hotmail.com

Dec 18, 2012, 5:50:07 PM12/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Link for this beta update (Windows)? I went here: http://necessitas.kde.org/necessitas/necessitas_sdk_installer.php but all I found was alpha 4. Thanks for your efforts!

Ray Donnelly

Dec 18, 2012, 7:01:02 PM12/18/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

That's all you need. The installer grabs the new packages when you run it.

Patrick Noffke

Dec 19, 2012, 11:50:29 AM12/19/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I cannot run the latest installer on Fedora 17, x86-64.

$ ./linux-online-necessitas-alpha4.1-sdk-installer
bash: ./linux-online-necessitas-alpha4.1-sdk-installer: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
$ file linux-online-necessitas-alpha4.1-sdk-installer
linux-online-necessitas-alpha4.1-sdk-installer: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=0xb28715c0286fd847295fc486133e7172217f4135, stripped
$ uname -a
Linux studio 3.6.10-2.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 11 18:07:34 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.15-58.fc17.x86_64

I'm guessing this executable requires 32-bit libraries.  If that is the case, can you build one for 64-bit only?

Thanks,
Patrick

Ray Donnelly

Dec 19, 2012, 11:59:06 AM12/19/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

It'd be so much easier for you to install 32 bit libraries.

We're a very small team and our time is limited (unlike our todo lists).

Sorry,

Ray.

Thomas Jürges

Dec 19, 2012, 12:39:49 PM12/19/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

angelus

Dec 21, 2012, 1:33:09 AM12/21/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Necessitas team:

    Can tell us support Qt 5.0 Necessitas SDK when released?