Alpha4 update 1 landed on stable

BogDan Vatra

Oct 6, 2012, 4:20:04 PM10/6/12
to android-qt, Necessitas
Hello folks,

It’s been a very quiet period since we shipped the last update for
the alpha4 release. Because *nobody* reported any regressions, it’s
time to move it to stable repository. As I said in my previous
announcements after two weeks we’ll re-label it as our first beta, and
starting from that moment we’ll guarantee it’s API/ABI compatibility.

Meanwhile I’d like to share with you a few (I hope) interesting numbers:
- Ministro was downloaded by 2M+ devices in the last two months !
Unfortunately only just over ⅓ are still using it, mostly because they
didn’t find an addictive enough Qt application. Anyway after we
release the beta, I hope some much more addictive Qt apps will land on
Google Play and we’ll get these users back quickly. Once again, I’d
like to thank KDE for hosting the Ministros repos, as you can see
Ministro generated a massive amount of download traffic (2M*20Mb =
~40Tb of data).

- 44% of the devices that downloaded Ministro are low-end armv5
devices, so folks, keep this number in mind, and make sure that your
apps work well on these devices!

Cheers,
BogDan.

roywillow-em

Oct 7, 2012, 6:14:09 AM10/7/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear this! But will the beta version fully support QtMultimedia? When will Necessitas ship to Qt5?
Cheers,
Roy.

dipje

Oct 7, 2012, 5:06:01 PM10/7/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, Necessitas
Since I'm just still toying around with Qt-for-android, and testing if I can use it for my next work-projects, I have no regressions to report since there is nothing out there from me :P.

But the improvements from alpha 3 -> alpha 4 -> alpha 4u1 are amazing. And just toying around with simple two-dialog c++ apps and now learning QML you do notice improvements (or bugs being gone).

So - from my point - don't see the silence as ignorance, I'm quite impressed and happy with the progress made.

 - Joris Mak

paulus

Oct 8, 2012, 6:59:38 AM10/8/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, Necessitas
I agree with Dipje in this regard: silence if preferable to truckloads of people complaining :) Since starting development I must say it has become better and better and I see a bright future for Necessitas, especially when taking the number of downloads into account: it's still alpha and it's hitting 2M+ in 2 months, now thats impressive.

With the API\ABI compatibility: I assume you mean guaranteeing backwards compatibility?

Anyway, great work as always and looking forward to the beta milestone.

ps. Regarding the addictive Qt apps: I'm working on it ;)

Adam Pigg

Oct 8, 2012, 4:15:46 PM10/8/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Im doing my best on the addictive apps front, feel free to try and give me some stars ;)

Next app will be released shortly.

BogDan Vatra

Oct 9, 2012, 2:48:45 PM10/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
No, beta1 will be the *SAME* with alpha4, as I said we'll just relabel
it as beta1.
At least basic support for QtMultimedia will come to beta2.
I begin Qt5 port a few weeks ago, it's already working but it needs
more time until it will be production ready. I hope by the end of this
year to ship first alpha. Anyway Qt5 is not on my priority list, I
only work on it when I get bored of working on Qt4. My top priority is
to "finish" Qt4 port.

Cheers,
BogDan.

Adam Pigg

Oct 9, 2012, 3:00:38 PM10/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And, as a reminder, if anyone wants so play basic sound effects from wav files, they are free to use my code from Space Invaders.  ive just updated it to support 2 channels in the latest release.  the next version might get refactored, and support for background music, which i need in my next port.

BogDan Vatra

Oct 9, 2012, 3:02:35 PM10/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for your kind words !
No I don't believe that silence is ignorance, I've seen that after we
release alpha4 Ministro Configuration Tool was downloaded by 8K+
users, so this means that 8K+ people test alpha4 ;-)

Cheers,
BogDan.

BogDan Vatra

Oct 9, 2012, 3:17:29 PM10/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2012/10/8 paulus <paul....@gmail.com>:
> I agree with Dipje in this regard: silence if preferable to truckloads of
> people complaining :) Since starting development I must say it has become
> better and better and I see a bright future for Necessitas, especially when
> taking the number of downloads into account: it's still alpha and it's
> hitting 2M+ in 2 months, now thats impressive.

I've made some research and I found the "guilty" application for all these
downloads, is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsoftteam.thewifihacker
this is a nice prank application made by G Soft team, so, kudos to
guys ! These guys
deployed 60+ Qt apps(
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=G+Soft+Team ).
Sadly most of people didn't read the description and many of them give
also to Ministro very
bad reviews ... :).

> With the API\ABI compatibility: I assume you mean guaranteeing backwards
> compatibility?

Yup, you're right !

> Anyway, great work as always and looking forward to the beta milestone.
>
> ps. Regarding the addictive Qt apps: I'm working on it ;)

I'm waiting for it !

Cheers,
BogDan.