Anybody can tell me how the /dev/ folder under linux is mounted into android

max

Sep 11, 2009, 12:36:29 AM9/11/09
to android-porting
Hi All,

There is a question that puzzle me all the time, before I go to study
myself, I here raise this question firslty.

The question is:

The device node under linux /dev/ , when come into android enviroment,
some is missed, some is changed to be other location, for example, in
cupcake release, originally, under native linux, there exists /dev/snd/
controlC0, /dev/snd/pcmC0D0 , but when I run android, I find they have
become /dev/controlC0, /dev/pcmC0D0 ,

what's the policy of mouting linux device node into android ?

can anybody give me some light on this?

Regards

Max

Dianne Hackborn

Sep 11, 2009, 1:09:03 AM9/11/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
They are just whatever device drivers you have available, and exactly what appears there will depend on your hardware, the version of the kernel, and the direction the window is blowing.  There are a number of device names that are standard to Linux (like tty, random, kmsg), some that are standard to android (like binder), and then lots of other...  stuff.
--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Robert Beckett

Sep 11, 2009, 6:29:35 AM9/11/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
The devices are created from system/core/init/devices.c as part of the
init process. You can change the names in there if you wish. The names
by default come from the uevent that the init process receives, but
there is no reason why you couldnt change the name, or better still keep
the default and add another node at a name that you prefer (so as not to
break anything that relies on the default).