ADP2 now available

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2009, 11:46:33 AM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick note to be sure that all AOSP contributors are aware of this:

Brightstar is now selling sapphire hardware (as ADP2) alongside with
dream hardware (i.e. ADP1). Just like before, you need a Market
publisher account to be able to purchase either of those devices.

The current AOSP build process allows to build custom system images
for both ADP1 and ADP2. The extra flash space in ADP2 allows for a
larger system image (30% larger) and a much larger data partition.
Those allow to create images with additional applications, tests, or
data files, without running out of space in /system. They also leave
plenty of space in /data even when running non-preoptimized builds. Of
course, ADP1 has a hardware keyboard, so there's no obvious choice
about which one is more appropriate for AOSP work.

Enjoy :)

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Disconnect

Nov 13, 2009, 12:40:16 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Does either of them run 2.0 yet? (After a year of "adp1 works fine, just don't open it if you want it to pretend to be sapphire" it seems weird that that was the hw chosen for adp2.)

Fred Grott

Nov 13, 2009, 12:43:02 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thans JBQ I plan to get an ADP2 soon

Fred Grott
Android Mobile Developer
http://mobilebytes.wordpress.com/
Chat Google Talk: fred.grott Skype: fred.grott
Contact Me Linkedin Twitter

Fred Grott

lbcoder

Nov 13, 2009, 1:38:19 PM11/13/09
to android-platform
WARNING:
That bugger only has 192MB RAM.

The good version of those devices have 288MB RAM.

It is also another 1700/2100 device.

I wouldn't waste my money on that thing.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 13, 2009, 2:41:02 PM11/13/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Right now both of them can run 1.5 and 1.6 (and ADP1 can run 1.0 and
1.1 but that's not a common use case), as well as the current AOSP
donut and master trees.

I can't comment on the 2.0 situation at the moment (neither in general
nor about how it relates to AOSP on the ADP family).

JBQ

neptune2000

Nov 18, 2009, 12:19:46 AM11/18/09
to android-platform
New and "Unlocked" T-Mobile myTouch 3G / HGT G2 Magic (which is
apparently what the ADP2 is) sell between $299 and $399 on Ebay.
Should I be able to use such phone as developer phones? Will the
Android SDK tools work? Should I be able to build AOSP images for such
phones?

On Nov 13, 11:41 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Right now both of them can run 1.5 and 1.6 (and ADP1 can run 1.0 and
> 1.1 but that's not a common use case), as well as the current AOSP
> donut and master trees.
>
> I can't comment on the 2.0 situation at the moment (neither in general
> nor about how it relates to AOSP on the ADP family).
>
> JBQ
>

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Disconnect <dc.disconn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does either of them run 2.0 yet? (After a year of "adp1 works fine, just
> > don't open it if you want it to pretend to be sapphire" it seems weird that
> > that was the hw chosen foradp2.)
>
> > On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Just a quick note to be sure that all AOSP contributors are aware of this:
>
> >> Brightstar is now selling sapphire hardware (asADP2) alongside with
> >> dream hardware (i.e. ADP1). Just like before, you need a Market
> >> publisher account to be able to purchase either of those devices.
>
> >> The current AOSP build process allows to build custom system images
> >> for both ADP1 andADP2. The extra flash space inADP2allows for a

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 18, 2009, 9:05:07 AM11/18/09
to android-...@googlegroups.com
By definition, nobody knows. You should be able to use any compliant
Android phone to develop applications on the system version that is
installed on it (but that's a question for android-beginners, not
android-platform), but when it comes to doing system development all
bets are off.

One big reason why HTC, Brightstar and Google have been working
together on the ADP1 and ADP2 was precisely such that you wouldn't
need to rely on shady sources and unknown changes that might have been
made to a device in order to be able to flash specific versions of
Android (either official developer builds or homebrew builds).

JBQ