Open sources of Android 4.0?

ixti

Oct 19, 2011, 6:41:32 AM10/19/11
to android-platform
Hi,

Does Google plan to open sources of Android 4.0 (yes I know that even
in 2.x there were lots of proprietary blobs, but anyway at least at
same level of openness)? Or the danger of "<i realy don't remember
what was the reason>" that was with 3.x still exists and we wil never
see open sources again?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 6:52:25 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: see
http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/msg/c73c14f9b0dcd15a

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

ixti

Oct 19, 2011, 8:18:39 PM10/19/11
to android-platform
Thank you.

On Oct 20, 12:52 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Short answer: yes.
>
> Long answer: seehttp://groups.google.com/group/android-building/msg/c73c14f9b0dcd15a
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 3:41 AM, ixti <i...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Does Google plan to open sources of Android 4.0 (yes I know that even
> > in 2.x there were lots of proprietary blobs, but anyway at least at
> > same level of openness)? Or the danger of "<i realy don't remember
> > what was the reason>" that was with 3.x still exists and we wil never
> > see open sources again?

ixti

Oct 19, 2011, 8:25:47 PM10/19/11
to android-platform
I'm sorry. I feel myself little bit stupid, but I would like to ask
anyway. Just read the "long anwser" link. There's nothing said about
Android 4.0, it's aobout 2.3 and prior branches affected by kernel.org
downtime. My question was about Android 4.0. So please, if it's
possible, can you tell wil sources of Android _4.0_ will be opened,
and if yes, then when (approximate +\- month answer is ok) we can
expect this?

On Oct 20, 12:52 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Short answer: yes.
>
> Long answer: seehttp://groups.google.com/group/android-building/msg/c73c14f9b0dcd15a
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 3:41 AM, ixti <i...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Does Google plan to open sources of Android 4.0 (yes I know that even
> > in 2.x there were lots of proprietary blobs, but anyway at least at
> > same level of openness)? Or the danger of "<i realy don't remember
> > what was the reason>" that was with 3.x still exists and we wil never
> > see open sources again?

Christopher Tate

Oct 19, 2011, 8:47:44 PM10/19/11
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM, ixti <ix...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
I'm sorry. I feel myself  little bit stupid, but I would like to ask
anyway. Just read the "long anwser" link. There's nothing said about
Android 4.0, it's aobout 2.3 and prior branches affected by kernel.org
downtime. My question was about Android 4.0. So please, if it's
possible, can you tell wil sources of Android _4.0_ will be opened,
and if yes, then when (approximate +\- month answer is ok) we can
expect this?

The "long answer" linked here *did* mention Android 4.0 source release:

"   - To reiterate, these servers contain only the ‘gingerbread’ and ‘master’
   branches from the old AOSP servers. We plan to release the source for the
   recently-announced Ice Cream Sandwich soon, once it’s available on devices. "

--
christopher tate
android framework engineer

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 19, 2011, 8:55:02 PM10/19/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been a bit more explicit. I've been
having this message under my nose so much today that I know too well
what's in there. It's hiding in the 4th point of the list of known
limitations: "We plan to release the source for the recently-announced

Ice Cream Sandwich soon, once it’s available on devices."

Based on what I've heard at the public presentation yesterday, it
looks like we're aiming at a November release for Galaxy Nexus, and if
you factor in a potential for 1 or 2 weeks of last-minute cleanup
prior to Open-Sourcing you'll probably be able to guess a reasonable
window. Of course, there can always be unforeseen difficulties, so
please understand that this is all a very vague and hand-wavy
estimate, and that you shouldn't make hard plans based on this as
things might change.

Thanks,
JBQ

ixti

Oct 20, 2011, 6:00:02 AM10/20/11
to android-platform
Oh, sorry it was my misattention... Thank you for your replies.

ixti

Oct 20, 2011, 6:00:43 AM10/20/11
to android-platform
Yes, thank you. I missed that bullet somehow when I was reading.

milind

Oct 20, 2011, 5:30:21 PM10/20/11
to android-platform
That's good. So it should be available (some technological crisis
notwithstanding) by end of November. It's the "...once it’s available
on device***s***" that was the concerning part. The multiple
"devices" in the line raised alarm bells that releasing the ICS source
code would take months.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 20, 2011, 5:38:20 PM10/20/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I see. Yes, that could have been confusing. The plan is very much
to wait at least until 2 different people buy a Galaxy Nexus. If only
a single one gets sold ever, we probably have bigger problems on our
hands.

JBQ