What is Process Name for mediaserver e.g. com.android.phone is for phone app.

Atul Raut

Dec 2, 2010, 9:41:53 AM12/2/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Android Developers
Hi,

What is Process Name for mediaserver e.g. com.android.phone is for phone app
like same I want for mediaserver.

Wanted to start mediaserver through process name
I have tool which uses such naming convention.

Atul Raut
Android Telephony Engineer
http://rautatul.weebly.com/
Mobile : 9581819292
atulr...@gmail.com

Dianne Hackborn

Dec 2, 2010, 2:16:22 PM12/2/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Android Developers
You can't start a Android/Dalvik process through a process name.  Nor should you rely on these names, which are implementation details.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

msg555

Dec 2, 2010, 4:34:31 PM12/2/10
to android-platform
The media server is not a normal app and has a special user
'media' (uid 1013). The executable is probably located at /system/bin/
mediaserver. Just run ps and see for yourself.

On Dec 2, 9:41 am, Atul Raut <atul.dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> *What is Process Name for mediaserver e.g. com.android.phone is for phone
> app
> like same I want for mediaserver.
>
> Wanted to start mediaserver through process name
> I have tool which uses such naming convention.
> *
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------
> Atul Raut
>  Android Telephony Engineerhttp://rautatul.weebly.com/http://rautatul.wordpress.com/
> Mobile : 9581819292
> atulrau...@gmail.com <hack...@android.com>
>
> <hack...@android.com>

Atul Raut

Dec 3, 2010, 3:09:12 AM12/3/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com, Android Developers, hac...@android.com
Hi Dianne,

Thanks for reply,
I have written memory leak tool on top of DDMS.
Tools needs process name as one parameter
and that why am checking here. Noticed there
were memory leaks in multimedia side so exploring.

Thanks again..