How to avoid android service from being uninstalled?

Shiv

Jan 29, 2010, 5:43:01 PM1/29/10
to android-platform
Hi ,
I am working on an Android service which will be OTA downloadable and
I have few questions about it.

I see that after OTA downloading and installing the “TestService.apk”
that I developed, I can go into settings->applications->Manage
Applications and remove the service from the device.

• How to avoid an application or service from being uninstalled from
the device by the user ?
• Is there some setting that we could enable in the
AndroidManifest.xml to achieve this?
• Can the above be achieved without any OEM integration?

I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks Shiv

Dianne Hackborn

Jan 29, 2010, 9:23:36 PM1/29/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Please post this to android-porting if you are modifying the platform or android-development if you are doing a third party app.  It isn't even clear from your context what you mean by "OTA downloading" -- an app installed from market?  from side-loading?  from an OTA system update?  You need to be clear about what you are talking about (and posting to the correct relevant group can greatly improve the speed and chance of getting a useful answer).

Thanks.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

lbcoder

Feb 1, 2010, 8:04:59 AM2/1/10
to android-platform
By installing it to /system/app (just copy the .apk file into that
path, install will be automatic on first bootup).
The /system partition is mounted read-only, therefore things you
install to there will not be possible to remove.

This requires the OTA to be in the update.zip format or to be complete
system images.