forward compatibility of ARM cacheflush

davidd

Jul 27, 2010, 7:59:11 PM7/27/10
to android-ndk
Greetings,

I'm working on a framework that is planning to target the ARM
android-
ndk. Part of the required functionality must flush the instruction and
data caches. On standard Linux we would use __clear_cache from gcc,
but it looks to me like we are intended to use cacheflush; I have read
the previous thread in this forum on this topic in 2009, but there was
no definitive answer.

The cacheflush call is defined in /usr/include/unistd.h and
implemented in bionic libc; cacheflush makes a system call to do the
real work. It has a comment stating that it only applies to ARM, but
we are prepared for that.

Is using cacheflush what is intended? Can we expect apps with
functionality requiring cacheflush function to be compatible with
future releases of Android, i.e. 3.0
and beyond?

Thanks,
David Dunkle