NDK-samples not running on windows xp-sp3 with cygwin 1.7

vikas pachisia

Oct 27, 2010, 12:06:58 PM10/27/10
to android-ndk
Hi,

I am a newbie in Android. I am not able to run the NDK sample
apps(especially san-angeles, hello-jni).

Computer Environment: All software downloaded from respective websites
in Oct 2010.

Eclipse Galileo : Eclipse IDE for Java EE developers Build ID
20100218-1602
Eclipse platform 3.5.2.M20100211-1343
Java EE IDE Feature 1.2.2.20100217-2310

Android:
android-sdk-windows
android-ndk-r4b
Platforms 2.2 to 1.6
ADT 0.9.7 (Latest)
Cygwin: Complete Install
Version 1.7 (GNU Make 3.81)

Target Information:
Latest kernel from android source (source.android.com)
Common (2.6.27)
Android branch (2.6.29) - goldfish

Host Information:
Operating System: Windows XP with service pack3
Others: Visual Studio 2005, Codesourcery 2010

I downloaded Eclipse with Java EE, android-sdk and android-ndk from
the website.
After extracting all three components onto a directory in c drive, I
followed
the instructions on Android web site to install ADT, platforms etc
from within Eclipse.
Then I installed cygwin (latest) from website.

However I was not able to use repo as the repo configuration was
failing.
Hence I downloaded android kernel and patch using git.
Initially i tried to build the kernel without goldfish branch.
I got some errors during the kernel build a few macro definitions with
respect to efl were missing.
I added them to modpost.c and successfully compiled the kernel.
Then I added goldfish changes and repeated the above steps for
successful compilation of the kernel.
I enabled loadable module support in the kernel.

Now I try to add a sample application from within the NDK folder into
the eclipse using existing project option.
The sample builds successfully and gets installed on to the emulator
(using the default kernel).
However the activity starts but the application does not run and I get
com.android.mms is not responding
with some more errors lile com.android.sanangeles closed unexpectedly.

Please help me resolve this issue as it is critical for me to move
ahead.

Thank you,
Vikas Pachisia

David Turner

Oct 27, 2010, 11:17:33 PM10/27/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com
First, do not try to build the kernel on Windows, this is totally unsupported.
Use a Linux machine for that (VMWare or real, doesn't matter).

Does the sample run in the emulator without a modified kernel? If it does, you know where the problem is.