RFC :: Contributing Bluetooth FTP profile.

Arun Kumar SINGH

Oct 13, 2010, 2:14:06 AM10/13/10
to android...@googlegroups.com, Axel FAGERSTEDT, Christian BEJRAM, Joakim CEDER, Henrik POSSUNG, Srivatsan MURALIDHARAN
Hello All,

I propose to contribute Bluetooth File Transfer Profile to Android Open Source Project, which we have developed recently. It has been developed at the Android framework layer and is in application space and has been organised on lines of current OPP/PBAP profiles. Below are main highlights of this profile :-

  • FTP is organized on the same lines of existing OPP, PBAP Bluetooth profiles in AOSP. Completely written in Java.
  • Re-uses existing OPP classes and code and enhanced for FTP functionality by adding ftp specific new classes and files.
  • Extensively tested internally and profiled for efficiency, performance and data throughput.
  • Tested on ST Ericsson U8500 Mobile platform with CG2900 combo chip for Bluetooth,GPS & FM and UART as HCI transport.
  • Developed for Eclair AOSP and easily upgrades to any new AOSP version. Now available on Froyo.
  • Easily portable to any upcoming version of AOSP and has clean interfaces with easy integration steps.

Attached is a high level design for this and I would be happy to share any further information as needed for this.

Best Regards,
Arun Kumar Singh.

Android BLuetooth FTP SwA.pdf

Arun Kumar SINGH

Oct 14, 2010, 12:56:22 AM10/14/10
to android...@googlegroups.com
reposting as the original message didnt seem to go thru ..

Best Regards,
Arun Kumar Singh

I propose to contribute Bluetooth File Transfer Profile to Android Open Source Project, which we have developed recently. It has been developed at the Android framework layer and is in application space and has been organised on lines of current OPP/PBAP profiles. Below are main highlights of this profile :-

* Support FTP server role.
* FTP server is organized on the same lines of existing OPP, PBAP Bluetooth profiles in AOSP. Completely written in Java.
* Re-uses existing OPP classes and code and enhanced for FTP functionality by adding ftp specific new classes and files.
* Extensively tested internally and profiled for efficiency, performance and data throughput. fully compliant with PTS.
* Tested on ST Ericsson U8500 Mobile platform with CG2900 combo chip for Bluetooth,GPS & FM and UART as HCI transport.
* Developed for Eclair AOSP and easily upgrades to any new AOSP version. Now available on Froyo.
* Easily portable to any upcoming version of AOSP and has clean interfaces with easy integration steps.
Android BLuetooth FTP SwA.pdf

Jaikumar Ganesh

Oct 14, 2010, 12:15:46 PM10/14/10
to android...@googlegroups.com, arunkr...@stericsson.com
Hey Arun,
   Thanks Arun. Like I mentioned to you, in principle we are interested. I am currently busy with other things and will get back to you on this soon.

Thanks

Arun Kumar SINGH

Nov 12, 2010, 2:07:48 AM11/12/10
to Jaikumar Ganesh, android...@googlegroups.com, Christian BEJRAM
Hello Jai,

Thanks for the revert. I understand you have been keeping busy of late but hope you have got a chance to review our proposal. Assuming there are no major design gotchas, we would begin uploading our code as patches.

Btw, I could also find request for BT obex-FTP profile on Android registered as a enhancement request. We hope our FTP profile would meet such requirements both for Android developers and end users. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4702

Best Regards,
Arun Kumar Singh

Jan 12, 2011, 12:26:10 PM1/12/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
I've asked around, and it doesn't look like we'll be able to have a deep look at those changes in the current timeframe. The situation is unlikely to change until at least sometime after Honeycomb.

JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further warning.