CardDAV and CalDAV implementations

hcwang

Feb 16, 2011, 12:52:02 PM2/16/11
to Android Contributors, ga...@google.com, hcw...@yahoo-inc.com
We've built a CardDAV implementation for Android and I haven't found
any threads related to CardDAV and CalDAV in this group so I'm
starting a new one. I've been corresponding with Gabe who was
interested in incorporating our implementations. He referred me to
this group to answer two questions:

- Are there any licensing concerns regarding the open source projects/
libraries we use? The engineer only used the following
1. Base64 codec(RFC2045), Quoted-Printable codec(RFC1521)
http://commons.apache.org/codec/apidocs/org/apache/commons/codec/binary/Base64.html
http://commons.apache.org/codec/apidocs/org/apache/commons/codec/net/QuotedPrintableCodec.html
2. VCard parse and compose(RFC2426)
http://code.google.com/p/android-vcard/

- Can someone help us create a project where we can place the CardDAV
code? There is no existing project to submit this code to. We'd also
like to contribute our CalDAV implementation if there is any
interest.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 16, 2011, 1:26:28 PM2/16/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
If you need to use external libraries, those need to be handled as
separate projects so that they can be tracked individually. Looks like
we're potentially talking about 4 or 5 additional projects overall, is
that correct?

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

hcwang

Feb 22, 2011, 2:21:21 PM2/22/11
to Android Contributors
Sorry, expected to get a notification email on reply. Just saw your
reply. Looks like we need 4 new projects:

- CardDAV implementation which engineers at Yahoo will provide code
for
- Base 64 Codec
- Quoted Printable Codec
- CalDAV implementaiton which we will provide as well

Since the vCard parser is already part of Android I think we're fine
there.

Thanks much
Herbert

On Feb 16, 10:26 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> If you need to use external libraries, those need to be handled as
> separate projects so that they can be tracked individually. Looks like
> we're potentially talking about 4 or 5 additional projects overall, is
> that correct?
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM, hcwang <hcw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We've built a CardDAV implementation for Android and I haven't found
> > any threads related to CardDAV and CalDAV in this group so I'm
> > starting a new one.  I've been corresponding with Gabe who was
> > interested in incorporating our implementations.  He referred me to
> > this group to answer two questions:
>
> > - Are there any licensing concerns regarding the open source projects/
> > libraries we use?  The engineer only used the following
> >  1. Base64 codec(RFC2045), Quoted-Printable codec(RFC1521)
> >    http://commons.apache.org/codec/apidocs/org/apache/commons/codec/bina...
> >    http://commons.apache.org/codec/apidocs/org/apache/commons/codec/net/...

hcwang

Mar 4, 2011, 6:02:16 PM3/4/11
to Android Contributors
We swapped the Base64 Codec with the existing base64 codec in Android.
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/util/Base64.html. So
the new projects we need are

- CardDAV implementation which engineers at Yahoo will provide code
- Quoted Printable Codec

Thanks
Herbert

btw thanks to Steve Scalpone for the suggestion.

hcwang

Mar 29, 2011, 1:54:10 PM3/29/11
to Android Contributors
Any update here? Haven't heard anything yet.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 26, 2011, 5:33:07 PM4/26/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
Just to confirm, I think we're looking at creating the following projects:

external/apache-qp
frameworks/opt/carddav
frameworks/opt/caldav

Is that what you had in mind, or did you envision carddav and caldav
living in the same project?

JBQ

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM, hcwang <hcw...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Any update here?  Haven't heard anything yet.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 27, 2011, 5:18:21 PM4/27/11
to android...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I think we should not create frameworks/opt/caldav quite
yet, focus on carddav as a learning experience for now, and then apply
that to caldav which will present its own challenges (i.e. difficulty
around the lack of public APIs to access calendar).

JBQ

hcwang

Apr 27, 2011, 5:29:18 PM4/27/11
to Android Contributors
That works well. Not sure what you mean by lack of public APIs to
access calendar since our CalDAV implementation is freely available
for individual use.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 28, 2011, 11:18:37 AM4/28/11
to android...@googlegroups.com