check out our ADC entry: Snap!

writser

Apr 12, 2008, 4:44:28 AM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Hey all,

Snap! ties your telephone to social networking sites. It will notify
you whenever people with the same interests as you are in your
neighborhood. You can then exchange contact information with these
people automatically and wirelessly. You can use snap instead of your
standard contact list - it uses a p2p network to keep your contact
list up to date at all times.

Our website: http://www.snap-project.net. Check out the screencast on
the main page if you are interested.

Any comments are appreciated. Both the site and the program are still
work in progress :)

regards, Writser

Philip

Apr 12, 2008, 4:52:50 AM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Very nice!

You'll need to do a port to Windows Mobile to have those guys from the
video using it x). Good work.

Philip

YA

Apr 12, 2008, 10:33:47 AM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Will it work without GTalk account or any other web service account?

YA

Hielko

Apr 12, 2008, 10:51:43 AM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
It will run without GTalk account or Facebook account, but receiving
new contacts or keeping existing contacts up to date is done using
GTalk (it's ok if you are offline and the other person changes his
info, it will sync as soon you will go online).

GTalk is certainly a very important corner stone of our app.

Snap! does not need other webservices, but obviously to get your
information from Facebook or other social network sites it will have
to connect to those at least one time.
> > regards, Writser- Hide quoted text -

YA

Apr 12, 2008, 11:58:10 AM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Hmm... so this is not really a pure phone app. Are you using GTalk/FB
contacts or are you using the real phone contacts - the ones in the
phone book memory of the phone?

YA

Hielko

Apr 12, 2008, 2:04:12 PM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
I'm not sure what you mean with a 'pure phone app'.

We are using the contacts in the phone book memory. All contacts that
are visible inside Snap! are also available in the default contacts
application, but the aditional information such as the location,
facebook profile are stored in our own content provider.

YA

Apr 12, 2008, 3:13:19 PM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Hielko:

I read the PDF and cannot understand how the app works. Suppose I have
20 phone numbers with names in my phone book. Suppose I also have a FB
profile. What does Snap do to my phone number contacts? Does it call
them, sms them or what?

YA
> > Hie- Show quoted text -

Hielko

Apr 12, 2008, 4:02:45 PM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Snap only exchanges information with contacts that not only have a
telephone number, but also a GTalk account. It uses GTalk to
communicate with those accounts and our program broadcasts profile
updates and location updates to those contacts. It does not call them
or sms them, everthing is handled in the background using GTalk (or
Bluetooth in the case of discovering new/matching Contacts).

So, how it works:

Step 1:

Using Bluetooth you see who is in the same neighborhood. You not only
see their (nick)name, but also their interests (information that is
coming from Facebook).

Step 2:

If you want, you can invite this person to your contact list (this is
done using GTalk).

Note: instead of discovering this contact using bluetooth, you can
also simply enter his GTalk email address, and press invite.

Step 3:

If he accepts our program uses GTalk to exchange your profile. Your
profile contains your telephone number(s), email address, the link to
your facebook account, a picture and more. The basic information such
as the telephone numbers are stored in the default android phone book
memory, but the additional information is stored in our own database.

Now if you change your profile, all your Snap! contacts (that all have
GTalk) will receive the new information.

You can also check out our 'Larger and Longer' screencast, hopefully
it will show you exactly what Snap! is and what it can do
http://www.snap-project.net/wikka.php?wakka=LargerLongerScreencast
> > > Hie- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

YA

Apr 12, 2008, 4:24:42 PM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Heielko:

I see now, so the service requires that both parties have Snap+GTalk
in advance to establishing a connection... but here is another
problem. It is EXTREMELY unsafe to leave your BT in visible mode - the
phone immediately becomes a target of bluehacking if not worse. Did
you figure out how to make the phone BT-invisible to anyone except
Snap users?

YA
> it will show you exactly what Snap! is and what it can dohttp://www.snap-project.net/wikka.php?wakka=LargerLongerScreencast

Hielko

Apr 12, 2008, 4:39:29 PM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
YA: Obviously (?) you will need our application to use it... having
the requirement of GTalk is no problem: it is a default component of
the Android platform, everyone will have access to it.

With respect to the bluetooth security issue: since the bluetooth
stack cannot be used/tested inside the emulator, this is not something
we have addressed. That said; I think something like that is the
responsibility of the operating system.

YA

Apr 12, 2008, 4:59:17 PM4/12/08
to Android Challenge
Hielko:

opps, my message landed in a different thread. Anyway, I see your
point.

YA

Hielko

May 11, 2008, 7:28:49 AM5/11/08