Recovering from Challenge

1 view

Shane Isbell

Apr 19, 2008, 3:03:48 AM4/19/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I just blogged about returning back to normal: http://www.jroller.com/random7/entry/getting_back_to_normal_after

Shane

Incognito

Apr 19, 2008, 3:48:35 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
>>Now, I see all the traffic on the android challenge lists. This list is the most neurotic mailing list I have ever belonged to: people anxiously wondering how many >>submissions there are, cranking out useless calculations of odds, worrying about when the judging starts, worrying if they will be disqualified.
Made me laugh.

Shane Isbell

Apr 19, 2008, 4:05:00 AM4/19/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Some of the stuff on this list makes me laugh so hard but some of it is downright painful.

Peli

Apr 19, 2008, 5:31:10 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
> > the most neurotic mailing list I have ever belonged to: people anxiously
> > wondering how many >>submissions there are, cranking out useless
> > calculations of odds, worrying about when the judging starts, worrying if
> > they will be disqualified.

Calculations of odds are not useless: There should be a balance
between the work put specifically into this challenge and the expected
outcome of the competition - and how else would one estimate one's
chances? (now whether calculations are right or wrong is another
issue...)

Also, people on the "most neurotic mailing list" are the ones whose
applications you want to host on your SlideME site - so you should
treat them with the necessary dignity ;-)

Peli

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 19, 2008, 5:35:19 AM4/19/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Having a bit of fun is not that bad ;)
--
take care,
Muthu Ramadoss.

http://mobeegal.in
find stuff closer.

Shane Isbell

Apr 19, 2008, 5:52:06 AM4/19/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Of course, it could just be fun as Muthu suggests.  But if one is so anxoius that even with no useful information, one has to calculate odds to give oneself some feeling of certainty about the future, then that falls within the definition of neurotic.

Shane

Shane Isbell

Apr 19, 2008, 6:09:03 AM4/19/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
But if neurotic is offensive to people, then I apologize. Let me put it differently: this mailing list has more anxious people (with giant holes in their stomachs) than any other mailing list I have been subscribed to.

Shane

YA

Apr 19, 2008, 7:28:48 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
No one who is not neurotic will take it as an offense. Therefore if
someone is offended, (s)he is neurotic, therefore there is no point of
being offended, as neurosis is a serious condition that needs medical
attention, therefore no need to apologize - unless you want to admit
you deliberately tried to offend all of us! )))

YA

On Apr 19, 2:09 pm, "Shane Isbell" <shane.isb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But if neurotic is offensive to people, then I apologize. Let me put it
> differently: this mailing list has more anxious people (with giant holes in
> their stomachs) than any other mailing list I have been subscribed to.
>
> Shane
>
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Shane Isbell <shane.isb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Of course, it could just be fun as Muthu suggests. But if one is so
> > anxoius that even with no useful information, one has to calculate odds to
> > give oneself some feeling of certainty about the future, then that falls
> > within the definition of neurotic.
>
> > Shane

luckydroid

Apr 19, 2008, 11:05:43 AM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
two or three cents:

I think the speculation on the message boards is funny. I enjoyed
engaging in it and adding my own set of neuroses to the lot (mine was
around whether we would *ever* know the numbers. I thought Muthu said
they were going to keep it *permanently* secret and that was killing
me!). What was funnier were requests for (further!) deadline
extensions, special considerations, etc... (admittedly it reminded me
of a couple of instances around exam times in college..)

I want to take an informal poll: Are there ANY women here? Besides me?
There must be more than the one I am aware of? Out of 1,788 teams??
This is some sad representation.

And I can't even be the stereotype breaker with some uber-geek street
cred. status since I am a concept person, i.a. and u.i. designer
( relatively geeky but not here ) . A pixel pusher, picture maker who
is allergic to code. A techie to non-techies, a designer to techies
(like my Challenge partner who had to show me how to log into Unix on
my Mac to see the builds, since I hadn't seen a non- gui for 10
years).

Ah, well. One can only be good at what one is good at, (whether it
breaks stereotypes or not!) and hope their killer application rocks
the Android Challenge, right?

-m.a.c.

Incognito

Apr 19, 2008, 12:44:39 PM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
I would venture to say that Shane Isbell is a woman. (Shane, if you
are a guy sorry, is just that your writing is so girlish.)

Shane Isbell

Apr 19, 2008, 12:52:02 PM4/19/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
No, I'm not a woman. That's okay, I get that a lot from neurotic people.

Hugs and Kisses,
Shane

Incognito

Apr 19, 2008, 1:31:06 PM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
Sorry!
> > > -m.a.c.- Hide quoted text -

Incognito

Apr 19, 2008, 1:32:36 PM4/19/08
to Android Challenge
You still sound like a woma though. :)

Bob Schmidt

Apr 21, 2008, 12:13:41 AM4/21/08
to Android Challenge
I think that it is inappropriate to apologize for thinking someone was
a woman. I suppose you are thinking, "Hey, I would apologize if I
thought he was a man, man." And then I might be writing something
like, "I think it is inappropriate to apologize for thinking someone
was a man." I do not think there is anything wrong with being either
a man or a woman or a man who seems like a woman or a woman that seems
like a man so I do not think you should apologize.

I think you should just say, "What a trip! I thought you were a (man |
woman | man/woman | woman/man | man\boy). I must be an idiot."

luckydroid

Apr 21, 2008, 8:39:39 PM4/21/08
to Android Challenge
I can't believe I am the only woman entering this Challenge.

David Moffett

Apr 21, 2008, 9:02:45 PM4/21/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com, David Moffett
Why? There are a lot of women I would imagine playing different
roles. Many of the submissions have mentioned women, I assume since I
have helping in this capacity or that. This group is probably not a
good representation of the complete Android developer community.
There are a lot out there that probably think of this kind of thing as
a job and are not as engaged.

David