ADC I finalists to receive SDK snapshots, deadline extension

jalopy

May 20, 2008, 11:51:44 AM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
http://www.helloandroid.com/node/572

Does it mean ADC I winners will have a better
chance to win in ADC II since they have early
access to the next version of SDK which
has lots of enhancements and features?

Steve918

May 20, 2008, 1:08:42 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
sssh, you weren't supposed to notice that.

Konputer

May 20, 2008, 1:46:01 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
Deadline extension is always good for participants to further polish
their apps.

However I can't see the reason why SDK snapshots are not public, or at
least available to all phase I participants with proven interest on
the platform.

Why shouldn't the rest of the community have a clue of the upcoming
features and improve their projects accordingly?

Is it only us who don't agree on this?

Konputer

May 20, 2008, 1:48:30 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
:)

efon...@gmail.com

May 20, 2008, 1:49:19 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
If you have ever been in a mountain bike race or even other races,
there is a hole shot, where things turn from a field sprint to single
track through the woods, or some other sort of selection process. If
you make that selection things are better. If you did not make that
selection, you have to work with what you have and try to be as
mistake free as possible.

With ADC, a selection has been made. Our team did not make that
selection. Here is what we are doing:

1. Start coding again with the existing SDK
2. Build momentum around, and indispensable use models for, an
inexpensive phone with the combination of features that bring Android
functionality to ordinary people, by giving away compelling code.
3. Fill out all the finger tip code integration so the product is
seamless. The parts are all separate now and they need to play
together.

The main thing is to start thinking about customer use models and
start coding again. The first Android phones are the SUVs of the
mobile phone world – high margin vehicles that everyone wants to make.
For us it is really important that the inexpensive phone have the
right sensor set. Making that 'right sensor set' the obvious right
combination for handset manufacturers is first priority because there
is a long chain of decisions in the delivery of a groundbreaking
handset.

That chain of decisions is critical path, so that is where we are
working.

ed

Cow Yow

May 20, 2008, 3:25:58 PM5/20/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
to the health of ur heart, u should better help urself get used to such
close loop quicklier than in other *open* organizations.

Rui Martins

May 20, 2008, 3:21:18 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
Well, I won't update my App, until a new SDK surfaces, since M5 has
too many bugs to be practical, specially, when it involves sound !

What this tells me, is that we will not see a fresh SDK in a lot of
months... :(

And if these poor winning 50 apps have to accept an NDA, they will be
hard pressed to find bugs with others, in the sense of community, but
maybe Google will support them directly !

Some headaches are shure to pop in ... being the only 50 catching the
problems.

Somehow, the magic number 50 now seems to have a logic reason from the
start.

plusminus

May 20, 2008, 4:45:27 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
Awww no...
what are the arguments FOR that decision ?!?!?

I'm sorry but (without being told better) I really feel cheated, not
even getting the same chance!

jman

May 20, 2008, 5:57:10 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge

I agree. After an extremely controversial ADC 1, I thought Google
would try to be more careful about things like this. Android has
been advertised as an open platform for mobile devices but we have
seen several executions not living up to its name.

wescorp

May 20, 2008, 6:01:25 PM5/20/08
to Android Challenge
Who cares? The basic decision was made and we agreed to it when we
download and install the SDK. The top 50 are the chosen ones. Thats
cool but so what! It has nothing to do with making money and a living
from our applications and skills. Our time will come from our
dedicated persistance to make our applications be the best they can
be. Google is the one taking the chance that we could even create
anything worthy of even being on a phone. Because of the ADC I've
found I can create worthy applications for Google phones. How cool is
that !

Hong

May 20, 2008, 11:37:46 PM5/20/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
so the 50 winners have better chances of finding bugs than... the whole community???

BigBalou

May 21, 2008, 3:13:15 AM5/21/08
to Android Challenge
For me, Google tries to find the best developpers in the 50 ones.

Those who don't need the community to developpe new functionalities
with the help of the new SDK.

Rui Martins

May 21, 2008, 6:46:06 AM5/21/08
to Android Challenge
Maybe it's me who is confusing things, or maybe not.

ADC I has two parts, first one is already done, second part, only the
50 chosen apps (first round) will try the bigger prizes, and only 10
of them will succeed. This will add up to 5 Million in Prizes.

ADC II is a different bag of beans.
ADC II is for everyone again, for another 5 Million in prizes.

And that is what makes 10 Million in total, ADC I + ADC II

But these 50 Apps from ADC I will compete alone in round two, NOT ADC
II !

But Maybe I'm mistaken .... But by reading the contest rules, that's
what I have understood from the beginning.

So in my opinion, google, is just protecting itself against the
competion, which might gain them a few months start after the Android
phone is commercially available.

So I don't believe they are cheating anyone here, they are just not
harnessing the power of the community they now have, since only the 50
apps will be able to use/debug the fresh SDKs

Might not be a pleasant thing to do, in so small numbers ....
The community effort I'm sure would work better, but the commercial
advantage is also of concern to google.

If they make the SDK completely open, right now, what would prevent
the competition from following along, and smash any initial advantage
that google may have ?

The only problem is that an entire community is left in standby !
Which my lead it to disband sooner than expected.

Ahti Kitsik

May 21, 2008, 7:03:43 AM5/21/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
What I understand is that round 2 applications are not allowed for public demos until the final winners are known.

Because otherwise the new SDK API could become visible and thereby violating the license terms.

So, just maybe, the winners are announced together with the first few phones where you can start using these apps immediately? ;)

regs,
Ahti

jaro

May 21, 2008, 7:34:37 AM5/21/08
to Android Challenge
any qualified explanation?

from my point of view they don't want show how will final Android look
like (<i>forbidding screenshots or descriptions</i>) until it's out.

whitemice

May 23, 2008, 8:32:27 AM5/23/08
to Android Challenge
It this the same as saying that there will be no new SDK updates
between now and release day?
That would be quite a tough one to swallow for all of us waiting on
Camera, Bluetooth, WiFi, Installer, etc support from the SDK.

I would understand if this was just about keeping the UI under wraps.