My Submission on Gesture Recognition

wonderoid

Apr 10, 2008, 9:46:46 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Now that i've submitted my project, i am finally confident enough to
post it in the forums. My submission was a gesture recognition
library, along with a sample app. built on it. I guess developing on
the emulator can not provide a convincing PoC but i tried my best
anyway. Any comments are appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A6OHWfSOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwGMtNS_YA

Peli

Apr 10, 2008, 10:01:12 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Very impressive!

All characters have to be single stroke characters?

Peli

Muthu Ramadoss

Apr 10, 2008, 10:15:21 AM4/10/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Wonderoid, wonderful. You can't take your eyes off the video, neat.

--
Thanks.

Muthu Ramadoss
http://mobeegal.in http://androidrocks.in http://intellibitz.com
http://twitter.com/intellibitz http://linkedin.com/in/tellibitz
http://slideshare.net/intellibitz
http://groups.google.com/group/android-chennai
+91 44 22476750

We develop innovative search solutions using LBS for Android.

YA

Apr 10, 2008, 10:30:28 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Interesting -- but with a slideout keybord and joystick, what use you
see for gesture recognition? Last time I saw someone use it, was in
the gone gone days of Palm V.

YA

Peli

Apr 10, 2008, 10:36:21 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Controlling the application would be much more intuitive, as was
demonstrated in the video.
Typing seems a bit awkward with 1-stroke charakters, because you have
to learn them first. I like to put the dot on the "i" :-)

Peli
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A6OHWfSOEhttp://www.youtube.com/watc...

jtaylor

Apr 10, 2008, 10:42:51 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Best I've seen.

- Juan

Incognito

Apr 10, 2008, 11:28:14 AM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
I'm envious. Your library can be used for navigation of other
applications. i.e. The way you use cirles and arcs to mean an action
in an application. Not bad at all. I expect that a lot of people will
be implementing gestures in their own applications to controll the
flow. Much better than a touch button. For my application, for now
touch buttons will have to do.
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7A6OHWfSOEhttp://www.youtube.com/watc...- Hide quoted text -

YA

Apr 10, 2008, 12:34:31 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Peli: not necessarily more intuitive. Too many movements to memorize.
There is a similar Mouse Gesture plugin for Firefox, and while its
audiences is ecstatic about it, it barely makes to top 30 plugins with
a usage base like 3% or so.

YA

Incognito

Apr 10, 2008, 12:40:53 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Ya, Gestures on a computer don't make much sense. At least a computer
that has a mouch instead of a touch pad. But on a touch devise I think
it increases the usability of an application. I know I will include
gestures on my application in the future in places where it makes
sense.

wonderoid

Apr 10, 2008, 1:20:26 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge

On 10 Nisan, 17:01, Peli <peli0...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> All characters have to be single stroke characters?

Yes Peli, this was not something i planned from the start, however it
turned out to be the cleanest (and simplest) in the end. In fact i
tried several approaches for multi- gesture recognition, but none of
them gave satisfactory results. ( I could write pages about this issue
since this was what i struggled with most, but i'll not bore you with
details. Just know that I have some code sitting in my junkyard right
now, which may strike back as Multi-stroke recognition in future
versions :)

Anyway in the end the deadline drew near, i decided to wrap it up as
it is and write some samples in the remaining time. My main motive was
not handwriting recognition and handwritten character input anyway,
but rather gesture sensitive cool user interfaces.( Like checkboxes
you can actually check, or just making an "s" gesture to pop up a
search box etc. I still included text input in the videos for showing
that recognition capability is not trivial).

Zach Hobbs

Apr 10, 2008, 2:02:12 PM4/10/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Great job! What license will it be released under?

--

Zach Hobbs
HelloAndroid.com

tberthel

Apr 10, 2008, 3:13:38 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
I wrote a gesture recognizer for my game library. What you have is
beyond basic gestures. I would call yours not OCR but maybe gesture
recognition. Mine recognizes lines and diagonals not letters yet.
Good work.

Did you speed up the video? If so how much?

YA

Apr 10, 2008, 3:56:41 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
As long as you have a stylus, yes, but without one, it takes a lot of
practice. I tried to use HTC Touch that also has three or four
gestures to choose apps - the stupid cube would ALWAYS roll in wrong
directions, I just could not reproduce the correct strokes. Guess I am
just clumsy, but... If there are more of them - not sure how it will
work.

YA

luckydroid

Apr 10, 2008, 4:18:46 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Peli,
Scratch my question about the transparent png. I figured it out. I was
WAAAY over complicating it. ;-)
Super simple once my brain turned on after several hours.
;-) Good Luck!!
-mac

Peli

Apr 10, 2008, 4:53:20 PM4/10/08
to Android Challenge
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Good luck!

Peli

Wesley

Apr 10, 2008, 11:56:03 PM4/10/08
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Impressive....

Wesley Sagittarius.

Dexter's Brain

Apr 11, 2008, 1:14:43 AM4/11/08
to Android Challenge
Great work.....

Dexter...

On Apr 11, 8:56 am, Wesley <sit06...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Impressive....
>
> Wesley Sagittarius.

dah...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2008, 11:27:05 PM4/13/08
to Android Challenge
Very impressive, useful job.

wonderoid

Apr 15, 2008, 8:05:22 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
> Great job! What license will it be released under?
>
> --
>
> Zach Hobbs

Hi Zach sorry for the late response. It will be free however i have
not yet decided which liberal license to go with. Actually i have very
limited knowledge about all this licensing stuff so any ideas are
appreciated.

wonderoid

Apr 15, 2008, 8:12:52 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge

On 10 Nisan, 22:13, tberthel <travisberthe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote a gesture recognizer for my game library. What you have is
> beyond basic gestures. I would call yours not OCR but maybe gesture
> recognition. Mine recognizes lines and diagonals not letters yet.
> Good work.
>
> Did you speed up the video? If so how much?

Hi tberthel. I have not sped up the video. Though as you asked; I
wondered if some speed-up could have occured during video format
conversions. So i examined it again (you can see the android emulator
clock at the top-right corner) and it does not seem to be sped-up.

Peli

Apr 15, 2008, 8:43:17 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge
There has been some discussion about possible open source licenses
here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/3ae1c5239088726f/

Android will be published under Apache 2, but that is very liberal. If
you want to keep more control, especially regarding commercial
applicability of your library, you could consider GPL licenses.

Peli

wonderoid

Apr 15, 2008, 10:19:10 AM4/15/08
to Android Challenge