setting up eclipse to build Android.

Mohammad Shamsi

Jul 26, 2010, 1:07:42 PM7/26/10
to Android Building
Hi Everyone,

accourding to android source stie's guide (http://source.android.com/
source/using-eclipse.html)..
in order to open andorid project in eclipse I need to:
. ...
5 - Select "Create project from existing source", enter the path to
your Android root directory, and click Finish.

I am using Eclipe 3.6 (classic) and it doesn't have such item (Create
Project from existing source)

could you please help me to set ue p project in eclipse 3.6 ide.?

Thanks All.

nirjon

Jul 26, 2010, 3:16:08 PM7/26/10
to Android Building
I use Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (Galileo) and did not have any
problem with this version.

Samuel B. Quiring

Jul 26, 2010, 3:48:25 PM7/26/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I do not have Eclipse 3.6, but would be suprised if
this has changed.

When you do "new Java Project" the New Java Project dialog
should come up. There is a "Contents" group box right
under the project name. The group box contains two radio
buttons, one is "Create project from existing source". You
must select that radio button.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks All.

Allen Su

Jul 26, 2010, 9:26:35 PM7/26/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to build the source code on 32bit machine with Java5 and get
below errors:

Checking build tools versions...
You are attempting to build with the incorrect version
of java.

Your version is: java version "1.5.0_19".
The correct version is: 1.6.

Please follow the machine setup instructions at
http://source.android.com/source/download.html

So, I install the java6 and build again and get another errors:

/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:9:27: error: gnu/stubs-64.h: No such file or
directory

Does the android instructions out of date? It support Java6 now?
why it needs 64.h file on 32bit machine?

Thanks.

Regards,
Allen

Mohammad Shamsi

Jul 26, 2010, 11:58:10 PM7/26/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

I got the Eclipse 3.5 and it has the options that mentioned.

but Eclipse 3.6 (either Classic or Java) doesn't have the option, at least in Linux 64bit version

any way i can continue with 3.5 then ;)

Thanks again.
--
Sincerely Yours
Mohammad H. Shamsi

Héctor Cordobés

Jul 27, 2010, 10:26:36 AM7/27/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I installed libc6-dev-amd64 in Ubuntu to solve that. But later you will
find that clearsilver has some .mk files in which -m64 is added when using
java1.6.

https://review.source.android.com/#change,15611

Maybe this has something to do also with stubs.

HTH

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:26:35 +0800, "Allen Su" <alle...@castpal.com>

William Ferguson

Jul 27, 2010, 6:15:15 PM7/27/10
to Android Building
Allen,

I have exactly the same problem. What resolution did you find for
this?

William

Ying Wang

Jul 27, 2010, 6:22:30 PM7/27/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

William Ferguson

Jul 27, 2010, 8:30:26 PM7/27/10
to Android Building
Yes but as Allen originally stated he is building in a 32-bit Ubuntu
environment (as am I).

Following through on the tail of that thread it seems to suggest that
building the trunk nows requires:
1) A 64 bit environment
2) Java 6

The instructions at http://source.android.com/source/download.html
recommend using a 32-bit environment and Java-5.
Could someone in the know please clarify what's actually required.
Are the instructions at http://source.android.com/source/download.html
correct?

William

On Jul 28, 8:22 am, Ying Wang <wangy...@android.com> wrote:
> Only Java6 in 64-bit build environment is supported now.
> Seehttp://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/...
> > android-buildi...@googlegroups.com<android-building%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Héctor Cordobés

Jul 28, 2010, 3:36:48 AM7/28/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Well, now I can finally say that commenting out the -m64 sections on
clearsilver mk files, and installing libc6-dev-amd64, ncruses, gperf,
libxatom0-dev, lib11-dev and maybe some other packet, I have completed a
passion compilation on a 32bit machine with Java 6. Though I haven't yet
tested the results.

El 28/07/10 02:30, William Ferguson escribi�:

Alejandro Mery

Jul 28, 2010, 4:16:36 AM7/28/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
> Could someone in the know please clarify what's actually required.
> Are the instructions at http://source.android.com/source/download.html
> correct?

to build froyo (and older) branches, java5 and 32bits, but to build
master (no -b when doing repo init) you need java6 and 64bits now.

Regards,
Alejandro Mery

panshul007

Jul 28, 2010, 12:13:55 PM7/28/10
to Android Building
You have the basic eclipse IDE.. download and install the Java
Development tools from download central of eclipse.
Or you can download and install the eclipse IDE fro Java developers.
Root of your problem: you dont have Java Development tools installed
for eclipse.
This is different from JDK.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 28, 2010, 12:37:48 PM7/28/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Alejandro summarized it best. The instructions on the web site are out-of-date.

The switch to 64-bit Java was pretty much unavoidable as some aspects
of the build are getting dangerously close to filling up the address
space of a 32-bit process, and since Java 1.6 is only available as
64-bit on MacOS we standardized on it.

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Mohammad Shamsi

Jul 28, 2010, 12:22:04 PM7/28/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
HI,

I tried both Eclipse Classic and Java Develpers version 3.6,  its same, there is not option to add existing sources. in 3.5 it is ok and i can continue my work with it.

William Ferguson

Jul 28, 2010, 4:49:41 PM7/28/10
to Android Building
Thanks Alejandro/Jean, that clarifies it well. I think I can now avoid
the substantial pain I have been feeling.

On Jul 29, 2:37 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Alejandro summarized it best. The instructions on the web site are out-of-date.
>
> The switch to 64-bit Java was pretty much unavoidable as some aspects
> of the build are getting dangerously close to filling up the address
> space of a 32-bit process, and since Java 1.6 is only available as
> 64-bit on MacOS we standardized on it.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Alejandro Mery <am...@droidplumbers.org> wrote:
> >> Could someone in the know please clarify what's actually required.
> >> Are the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/download.html

Dirk Jäckel

Jul 29, 2010, 3:27:08 PM7/29/10
to Android Building
Hi!

Java 1.6 is available for MacOS X Snow Leopard on 32bit CPUs.

It wasn't for Leopard though.

Regards,
Dirk

On Jul 28, 6:37 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Alejandro summarized it best. The instructions on the web site are out-of-date.
>
> The switch to 64-bit Java was pretty much unavoidable as some aspects
> of the build are getting dangerously close to filling up the address
> space of a 32-bit process, and since Java 1.6 is only available as
> 64-bit on MacOS we standardized on it.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Alejandro Mery <am...@droidplumbers.org> wrote:
> >> Could someone in the know please clarify what's actually required.
> >> Are the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/download.html

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 29, 2010, 3:29:17 PM7/29/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, good to know. Dropping support for Leopard isn't an option at this
point, though.

JBQ

Brian

Aug 20, 2010, 1:46:34 PM8/20/10
to Android Building
Stupid question, but why hasn't the website been updated with the
latest process?

On Jul 28, 12:37 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Alejandro summarized it best. The instructions on the web site are out-of-date.
>
> The switch to 64-bit Java was pretty much unavoidable as some aspects
> of the build are getting dangerously close to filling up the address
> space of a 32-bit process, and since Java 1.6 is only available as
> 64-bit on MacOS we standardized on it.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Alejandro Mery <am...@droidplumbers.org> wrote:
> >> Could someone in the know please clarify what's actually required.
> >> Are the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/download.html

Yichuan

Sep 15, 2010, 2:39:02 PM9/15/10
to Android Building
So building on Snow Leopard is kind of supported?

Which version of xcode and python etc. are required?

It seems I can not build on SL right now with master.

On Jul 28, 9:37 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Alejandro summarized it best. The instructions on the web site are out-of-date.
>
> The switch to 64-bit Java was pretty much unavoidable as some aspects
> of the build are getting dangerously close to filling up the address
> space of a 32-bit process, and since Java 1.6 is only available as
> 64-bit on MacOS we standardized on it.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Alejandro Mery <am...@droidplumbers.org> wrote:
> >> Could someone in the know please clarify what's actually required.
> >> Are the instructions athttp://source.android.com/source/download.html

sanjeev sharma

Sep 16, 2010, 8:51:37 AM9/16/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

There is an Hack for it.

Change version info in build/core/main.mk(1.5 to 1.6)

and it will build successfully.

Regards
Sanjeev Sharma

Al Sutton

Sep 16, 2010, 9:14:25 AM9/16/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't bet on it.

I have Java 1.5 installed on my machine with Snow Leopard and I ended up with build errors further along the compile (something about stdarg.h being missing).

Al.

--

* Looking for Android Apps? - Try http://andappstore.com/ *

======
Funky Android Limited is registered in England & Wales with the company number  6741909.

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.