Paid Apps in Australia

Nick Burton

Aug 31, 2010, 10:46:51 PM8/31/10
to Android Australia
Finally...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Android Australia <fe...@ausdroid.net>
Date: 1 September 2010 12:45
Subject: Android Australia - Feed
To: charlesnic...@gmail.com

Android Australia - Feed

Google now supporting Paid Applications for Aussie Developers

Aussie Android Developers can finally submit paid applications to the Android Market. Hopefully this excellent news will stir up some enthusiasm for Developers who previously gave up on Android because of the lack of support for Aussie Devs.

If you're an Aussie Dev making a quality app for the Android Platform, feel free to post on our Forums :)

Sony Ericsson AU planning to update X10 Series to Android 2.1 around September-October

If you currently own an Xperia X10, X10 Mini or X10 Mini Pro, you'll be happy to know that Sony Ericsson Australia has not forgotten you just yet. After reaching out to SE AU this afternoon, I got quite a positive reply..

The Xperia™ X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro smartphones will be upgraded to run on the Android 2.1 operating system in Australia, around the same time as the upgrade in Europe.

And in case you're wondering when the Europeans are getting the update, you'll be pleased to know it's slated at a late September, early October release. To add to the good news, SE AU confirmed that the Android 2.1 update will allow for HD (720p) recording on the Xperia X10. We can't wait to see what performances increases the update will bring to each device, but we also can't wait to see if SE will ever update the Xperia X10 to Android 2.2..

You are subscribed to email updates from Android Australia
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google

Nick Burton | 0412 105 324 | thatsburto.com

Android Development

Aug 31, 2010, 11:11:32 PM8/31/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'd await an official statement by Google before we get too excited. I'll send an email to Android developer advocates for confirmation.

If you recall, there was an issue I posted about that since last year Google Checkout's product disclosure statement and Android Market both incorrectly state that developers can sell apps in Australia.  Not many people had noticed it.

I logged into my Android developer account and sure enough, Google Checkout is not configured for Australia.  It wouldn't surprise me if AusDroid just discovered this statement and have posted without checking if it was actually available.

Cheers
Leon
GTUG Melbourne Manager

Android Development

Sep 1, 2010, 12:33:42 AM9/1/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Sad news.

Pamela Fox, Developer Advocate at Google responded:

"Sorry, the news stated there is based on an incorrect help page. They are now working on fixing the help page that lists Australia."

Guess we might have to hold on a little bit longer.

Cheers
Leon

Ps. In the meantime don't be too disheartened. There's a good case for how AdSense can provide similar revenues to paid apps here: http://bit.ly/blBPJO - of course this will not be applicable to everyone and their apps.

Nick Burton

Sep 1, 2010, 12:38:07 AM9/1/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Doh...

Oleg Kiorsak

Sep 1, 2010, 12:48:45 AM9/1/10
to android-...@googlegroups.com

a great illustration how "tech news" are being made!!..  ;-)