Buoyancy

Stefan Schlamp

Aug 21, 2006, 5:13:23 AM8/21/06
to amrita-ebook
I want to simulate the flow produced around a laser plasma. This is
obviously a non-trivial scenario, but a very simple model should be
good enough for my purpose:

I prescribe a certain initial temperature, pressure and density
distribution, which then evolve over time. As I can see, there are two
temporal regimes. First, the resulting shock waves move away from the
hot spot. Then, buoyancy produces a plume-like flow.

The first part is straight-forward. But as far as gravity goes, is
there an easy way to include buoyancy with AMRITA?

Blue skies,

Stefan Schlamp

ralph

Aug 22, 2006, 12:05:40 AM8/22/06
to amrita-ebook

Any system that has built in everything any user could possibly want
would be too unwieldy to be usable. Instead AMRITA is designed to
be flexible. In addition it is open source and the code can be readily
modified.
I took advantage of this to write a patch integrator for a 1-D
Lagrangian scheme
and then extended it to elastic-plastic flow.
To include buoyancy effect, you can start by adding source terms to
momentum
and energy equation of an existing patch integrator. If you run the
example
in James' VKI notes
amrcp Chp2/my.script
amrita my.script
Then you can edit fortran source in code/roe_fl.src to add feature you
want,
and make new solver plugin by running amrita script in code/roe_fl.mk
It is a good exercise to do this at least once to get an understanding
for what the system is doing and to understand the algorithm being used
and what its advantages and limitations are.

Ralph