COKE-machines on InterNet!?

Casper Baghuis

Jan 24, 1994, 10:08:00 AM1/24/94
Earlier someone mentioned COKE machines that are connected to InterNet. Who
can tell me more about these machines or other unusual connections to this
Net?

Please reply personal: cas...@dialis.hacktic.nl

Enschede, The Netherlands

Mark Dz...........

Jan 26, 1994, 4:29:09 PM1/26/94

There are several Coke machines on the Internet:
e.g.

finger co...@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

finger co...@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu

finger dr...@csh.rit.edu

finger co...@cs.wisc.edu

All of these have been around for some time, and are now "Tired"
compared with the "Wired", most novel / useless thing connected to the
Internet: the University of Cambridge Coffee machine

You can get a JPEG compressed image of the filter coffee jug
(and judge how full or empty it is) by making a World Wide Web connection
through Cello or Mosaic:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/coffee/coffee.html

(Cambridge, United Kingdom not Massachusetts !)

Mark Dz........... - Internet: ma...@otaku.demon.co.uk - CI$: 100014,3615

Stephen M. Lacy

Jan 27, 1994, 4:48:18 PM1/27/94
Excerpts from netnews.alt.wired: 24-Jan-94 COKE-machines on InterNet!?
by Casper Bag...@dialis.ha
> Earlier someone mentioned COKE machines that are connected to InterNet. Who
> can tell me more about these machines or other unusual connections to this
> Net?

co...@cs.cmu.edu usually works, but seems to be down right now. I'm not
sure what the connection method is, all I know is that there's a small
grey wire (looks like telephone cable) coming out of the machine, and
that there is no noticable hardware (read: its all really small) inside
the machine. Yes, I go to CMU, and am a CS student.

Steve

"Now it's over, I'm dead and I havn't done anything that I want -- or
I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do." -They Might Be Giants

Lone Biker of the Apocalypse

Jan 28, 1994, 3:32:00 PM1/28/94
In article <759619...@otaku.demon.co.uk>,
ma...@otaku.demon.co.uk writes...

now dr...@drink.csh.rit.edu

>finger co...@cs.wisc.edu
>
>All of these have been around for some time, and are now "Tired"
>compared with the "Wired", most novel / useless thing connected to the
>Internet: the University of Cambridge Coffee machine

and the only one that performs as advertised is dr...@drink.csh.rit.edu

does anyone have a more recent or accurate list? Coke machines may be tired to
us, but are still very effective in frying the synapses of net.newbies at my
school.

JBIRK...@cc.WEBER.EDU (Lone Biker of the Apocalypse) James Birkinshaw
"Did you hear that? We're using code names!" Gayle Snopes, Raising Arizona

Dana Watanabe

Jan 28, 1994, 2:42:10 PM1/28/94
In article <0126941131...@desert.hacktic.nl>,
Patrick Oonk <ka...@desert.hacktic.nl> wrote:
>cas...@dialis.hacktic.nl (Casper Baghuis) once said:
>
>CA> Earlier someone mentioned COKE machines that are connected to InterNet. Who
>CA> can tell me more about these machines or other unusual connections to this
>CA> Net?
>CA>
>CA> Please reply personal: cas...@dialis.hacktic.nl
>CA>
>
>I also post it publicly, as it can be of interest to other people.
>
> finger co...@cs.cmu.edu
> finger dr...@drink.csh.rit.edu
> finger gr...@drink.csh.rit.edu

also there is a coffee machine on WWW
its pretty cool, they have a camera watching a coffee machine
and whne you clikc on the icon it takes the current frame
converts it to a jpeg and then sends it to you

but id be damned if i could tell you the site off hand
:)

--
If we were still going barefoot the world would be a
much softer place.

Patrick Oonk

Jan 25, 1994, 6:31:01 PM1/25/94
cas...@dialis.hacktic.nl (Casper Baghuis) once said:

CA> Earlier someone mentioned COKE machines that are connected to InterNet. Who
CA> can tell me more about these machines or other unusual connections to this
CA> Net?
CA>
CA> Please reply personal: cas...@dialis.hacktic.nl

I also post it publicly, as it can be of interest to other people.

Patrick

---
Patrick Oonk | We're not really interested in tearing you up
KA...@DESERT.HACKTIC.NL | with the scratches and cuts tonight. We're more
Finger ka...@hacktic.nl | interested in...educating you for the future...
for PGP public key | - Derrick May, WJLB Radio mix -
PAGER: 06-58358511/2/3/4 |
======== Join the Digital City, telnet dds.hacktic.nl, login 'gast' ==========