Seting up folder appearance

Carol James

Sep 15, 2006, 12:26:42 AM9/15/06
How do I set up the appearance of ALL folders to view files as LIST?

Thank you.

Granny Grump

Sep 15, 2006, 8:51:50 AM9/15/06

>How do I set up the appearance of ALL folders to view files as LIST?
>
>Thank you.

go to Windows explorer

highlight the C drive

Click View in the menu at the top of the screen, then check off
Details

then close Windows Explorer

Don James

Sep 15, 2006, 9:39:02 AM9/15/06

Thanks Granny but that didn't seem to work. I did exactly as you said, chose Details
and closed the window, opened another folder and all the files were as *icons*.

Is is possible that WinXP isn't as capable as Win98 in this regard? If I do as you
note on a particular folder it works as advertised, *and sticks*. But I don't want to
have to do that for *every* folder on my hard disk. ;-)

James L. Liles

Sep 15, 2006, 11:21:17 AM9/15/06
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 06:39:02 -0700, Don James <D...@nospam.nohow>
wrote:

:->Granny Grump wrote:
:->>> How do I set up the appearance of ALL folders to view files as LIST?
:->>>
:->>> Thank you.
:->>
:->> go to Windows explorer
:->>
:->> highlight the C drive
:->>
:->> Click View in the menu at the top of the screen, then check off
:->> Details
:->>
:->> then close Windows Explorer
:->>
:->
:->Thanks Granny but that didn't seem to work. I did exactly as you said, chose Details
:->and closed the window, opened another folder and all the files were as *icons*.
:->
:->Is is possible that WinXP isn't as capable as Win98 in this regard? If I do as you
:->note on a particular folder it works as advertised, *and sticks*. But I don't want to
:->have to do that for *every* folder on my hard disk. ;-)

You could try setting my computer the way you want the folder view and
then use the my computer menu option tools | folder options, on the
dialog box that opens click the view tab and click the button to apply
to all folders.

I found that windows 95 was good at remembering the folder settings,
98 and XP are worse.

--

I hope that this helps. 8-)

To reply by E-mail, just click reply.

relic

Sep 15, 2006, 1:21:31 PM9/15/06

98 used exactly the same technique as 95. A new scheme was implemented with
W2k to prevent the Registry from growing to >64MB and spreventing Windows
from booting. In its original implementation, it only remembered 400
changes, it was increased to 4,000 in later Service Packs and there are Reg
Scripts to make it larger. Or, it's easily reset back to "0" by deleting two
Keys in the Registry. Google for BagMRU.

Don James

Sep 15, 2006, 3:04:16 PM9/15/06
Great link, Relic. Thanks!

James L. Liles

Sep 15, 2006, 4:33:24 PM9/15/06
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:21:31 GMT, "relic"
<mailb...@relic211.cjb.net> wrote:

:->James L. Liles wrote:
:->> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 06:39:02 -0700, Don James <D...@nospam.nohow>
:->> wrote:

<snip>

:->> You could try setting my computer the way you want the folder view and
:->> then use the my computer menu option tools | folder options, on the
:->> dialog box that opens click the view tab and click the button to apply
:->> to all folders.
:->>
:->> I found that windows 95 was good at remembering the folder settings,
:->> 98 and XP are worse.
:->
:->98 used exactly the same technique as 95. A new scheme was implemented with
:->W2k to prevent the Registry from growing to >64MB and spreventing Windows
:->from booting. In its original implementation, it only remembered 400
:->changes, it was increased to 4,000 in later Service Packs and there are Reg
:->Scripts to make it larger. Or, it's easily reset back to "0" by deleting two
:->Keys in the Registry. Google for BagMRU.

Be that as it may be, my experience was that windows 95 did not
remember very many folders, but it did seem to always remember those
settings.
Windows 98 had a higher capacity, but I reached a point of giving up
on trying to set often used folders for a given view since windows
seemed to not recall them. This was mostly in arranging icons in
windows 98, which may make a difference.

In XP I have it constantly changing views to slide show when I prefer
thumbnail view for folders with a small number of image files.
If you use XP's preferred views, it may work OK.
I think that I am seeing far fewer than 400 folders on a regular basis
and I for the most part no longer try to set them the way I want them
unless they change to, what is to me, an unusable view.

Don James

Sep 16, 2006, 12:23:37 PM9/16/06

After more experience I find that the URL info didn't really help. I still get the
default of *icons*. In folders with many files this is really a nuisance because
it's harder to scan to find a particular file, plus you have to do more scrolling. :-(

I checked the Registry and believe it's set up for 5000 files/folders, I find 2
entries of:
BagMRU Size REG_DWORD 0x00001388 (5000)

Am I correct in my assumption? Or is there another entry I'm missing?

James L. Liles

Sep 16, 2006, 7:08:14 PM9/16/06

:->> :->James L. Liles wrote:
:->> :->> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 06:39:02 -0700, Don James <D...@nospam.nohow>
:->> :->> wrote:
:->>
:->> <snip>
:->>
:->> :->> You could try setting my computer the way you want the folder view and
:->> :->> then use the my computer menu option tools | folder options, on the
:->> :->> dialog box that opens click the view tab and click the button to apply
:->> :->> to all folders.

:->> :->>
:->> :->> I found that windows 95 was good at remembering the folder settings,

:->> :->> 98 and XP are worse.

:->> :->
[...]

That sounds correct.
That is what I have.

Don James

Sep 17, 2006, 12:04:22 AM9/17/06
Sorry to continue this discussion but I just noticed on my wife's Gateway laptop
running WinXP that all the file/folder names are show in the "list" mode. I must
have done it back in February but darned if I remember how. I'd write/call them but
they are reluctant to even help on Gateway matters. :-(

There must be a way but I sure can't find it!

Don James

Sep 17, 2006, 12:34:25 AM9/17/06

I just had a thought, my computer is running Home Edition but the Gateway laptop is
running Pro. That could be a major difference. I almost hate to take a pole but it
might prove interesting.

What's everyone else using that has their OS configured to view filename as LIST and
not Icons?

Don James

Sep 17, 2006, 1:16:21 PM9/17/06
OK James Liles, I just received an answer on the Windows XP Forum. Here's the entire
message that tells how:

Don James <Don Ja...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How does a user of WinXP Home Edition, w/SP2, condition the OS to show files
>names in LIST mode and not Icons/Details/etc?
>
>I notice on my Gateway laptop running WinXP Pro that the filenames are shown in
>LIST format, but not on the recently installed older computer.

Set Explorer up how you want it view'd

In the Menu bar Tools - Folder Options - View and click on "apply to
all folders.

By that I mean the toolbar that contains:
File/Edit/View/Favorites/Tools/Help

Then click on the large button found under Tools/Folder Options/View reading "Apply
to All Folders".

HTH

James L. Liles

Sep 17, 2006, 2:19:43 PM9/17/06
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:16:21 -0700, Don James <D...@nospam.nohow>
wrote:

:->OK James Liles, I just received an answer on the Windows XP Forum. Here's the entire
:->message that tells how:
:->
:->Don James <Don Ja...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
:->
:-> >How does a user of WinXP Home Edition, w/SP2, condition the OS to show files
:-> >names in LIST mode and not Icons/Details/etc?
:-> >
:-> >I notice on my Gateway laptop running WinXP Pro that the filenames are shown in
:-> >LIST format, but not on the recently installed older computer.
:->
:->Set Explorer up how you want it view'd
:->
:->In the Menu bar Tools - Folder Options - View and click on "apply to
:->all folders.
:->
:->By that I mean the toolbar that contains:
:->File/Edit/View/Favorites/Tools/Help
:->
:->Then click on the large button found under Tools/Folder Options/View reading "Apply
:->to All Folders".
:->
:->HTH

I also mentioned that in my message earlier in this thread...
o1hlg29iq0k18401t...@4ax.com