Wedding Planners

Dawn K.

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

In reading another post, I remembered that I have a question to ask. Does
anyone know where to find a wedding planner book? Can anyone recommend
what types you use, what works best, what you don't like about yours, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Dawn

Vania I. Soto

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98

I am sure you can find them at any book store.

Congratulations,
Vania

Lil' Aussie1

Jun 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/28/98
to Dawn K.

I bought a wedding planner at Barnes and Nobles for about 15$ (US) It was
a white ring style and had flowers on the front..They sell it at
Victoria's Secrets!! I undid the binding and made my own dividers and put
everything into a 2in. binder...I just made the dividers by printing out
clip art for each thing...anyway- be sure to get one that gives you
checklist and questions to ask section in each chapter..mine does and it
has been soooo handy..especially when dealing with photographers and cake
people...i wouldn't have known what to ask otherwise!!
-Kirsten finally marrying Andrew January 6, 1999 after 2 yrs. of
engagement!!!!!

On 28 Jun 1998, Dawn K. wrote:

> In reading another post, I remembered that I have a question to ask. Does
> anyone know where to find a wedding planner book? Can anyone recommend
> what types you use, what works best, what you don't like about yours, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dawn

Have a nice day!!
k...@u.arizona.edu
Go Wildcats!

Shelley Clee

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

--
Hey again, Dawn. You can buy them in almost all book stores, but they can
also be ordered through most Wedding magazines, too. Goodluck. BTW,

Carren Loredo

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

In article <01bda2eb$e3b2c4c0$f36235ce@default>, "Dawn K." <da...@southwind.net> wrote:

>In reading another post, I remembered that I have a question to ask. Does
>anyone know where to find a wedding planner book? Can anyone recommend
>what types you use, what works best, what you don't like about yours, etc.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Dawn

Hi Dawn!

I don't have a wedding planner book (which you can find in any bookstore,
btw). I looked at many different wedding planners but couldn't decide which
one to buy. Each planner had certain features that I liked, but not one
contained all the features/sheets I wanted. So...I bought one of those
accordion files, labeled the folders with headings like "caterer",
"invitations", etc. I either copied worksheets from the planner or created
worksheets of my own (modeled after some of planners I liked) and inserted
them into each folder. This is fairly inexpensive...and I get to personalize
all of my worksheets.

Carren

Carren Loredo
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA
c-lo...@nwu.edu

Kate the Short -- Spamblocked!

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

"Dawn K." <da...@southwind.net> sat on the sofa and said:

>In reading another post, I remembered that I have a question to ask. Does
>anyone know where to find a wedding planner book? Can anyone recommend
>what types you use, what works best, what you don't like about yours, etc.

Go to a library or bookstore, read the first chapter of a few of them,
and see which one seems to be the best and the least offensive. :)

I bought a "Wedding Organizer" which is just a huge book with places to
write in info and pockets to put in the contracts. I also had a binder
into which I put hole-punched brochures and computer printouts of
tables, questions to ask, etc.

I also bought Alan and Denise Fields' "Bridal Bargains" book. They have
a GREAT set of questions in the back, which you can modify and ask of
your vendors when you're calling or interviewing them.

A friend bought me Miss Manners' Guide to to Perfect Weddings. Great
stuff, as I'm a MM fan (thought I don't always follow her etiquette).

Other than that, just go with what you think you need. The net has a
LOT of resources, so you can prolly print out a few pages and posts from
the newsgroups. I bought a few wedding mags to get ideas of how dressed
might look, and what styles and designs and colors I liked (good for
looking at flower designs, too!).

One last note-- look through stuff at the libraries. Some of it may be
old, some won't.

kate.

| Kate the Short -katew @ enteract.com- http://www.enteract.com/~katew/ |
| Address is spamblocked - watch where you send replies! - ICQ# 8375030 |
| Website redone! /personal /comics /faqs /sorority /wedding /internet |
| Countdown to the wedding: http://www.enteract.com/~katew/wedcount.htm |

Ron & Debbie

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

My MOH bought me the Martha Stewart wedding planner and it was very
useful. It has checklists, a calendar and sections for different things
(flowers, apparel, catering, honeymoon, etc.) where you can write in
information you don't want to lose track of and pockets for receipts,
menus, etc. I believe she bought it in a bookstore.

It's also not a bad idea if you have Excel (or another spreadsheet
program) to set up a database for your guestlist with columns for name,
address, phone #, whether they've responded, table number for seating,
etc. Then when you get toward the end you can sort the list different
ways to easily count responses, figure out where to seat people.

Debbie

Dawn K. wrote:

> In reading another post, I remembered that I have a question to ask. Does
> anyone know where to find a wedding planner book? Can anyone recommend
> what types you use, what works best, what you don't like about yours, etc.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Dawn

Kate the Short -- Spamblocked!

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

In article <6n7v4q$h...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>,

Ron & Debbie <rsen...@worldnet.att.net> sat on the sofa and said:

>My MOH bought me the Martha Stewart wedding planner and it was very
>useful. It has checklists, a calendar and sections for different things
>(flowers, apparel, catering, honeymoon, etc.) where you can write in
>information you don't want to lose track of and pockets for receipts,
>menus, etc. I believe she bought it in a bookstore.

Yup. Good stuff to havew in *any* system. :)

>It's also not a bad idea if you have Excel (or another spreadsheet
>program) to set up a database for your guestlist with columns for name,
>address, phone #, whether they've responded, table number for seating,
>etc. Then when you get toward the end you can sort the list different
>ways to easily count responses, figure out where to seat people.

Oh, no kidding. If you have Access, it's even better, because one row
will *always* stay together, no matter how you sort. I've had Excel
columns that sorted just that column and not the entire data list by one
column's info!

In my Access Database, I had these fields:

Priority (0-5, 5's were wedding party, 4 family, 3 close friends, 2
other friends, 1 peopel we wouldn't invite, 0 addresses we couldn't
find)

Guest ID (assigned by Access, always the same # for that person/family)

Invited (checkbox)

Confirmed (checkbox)

Number attending (first as an estimate, then 0-whatever when RSVP'd)

Last name (default to the guy)

First name (default to the guy)

Spouse name (default to the girl; can be full name)

Kids names

Address

City (also foreign zip codes)

State (could use country here)

ZIP+4

phone

Date updated

Where staying (aka, who reserved their blocks at the hotel!)

Gift given (and I coded it for S(hower) W(edding) or J(oel shower).

Notes

Thank You (checkbox)

This thing can be sorted by zip code, by city, by last name, by number
entered/guest ID, by number attending, by number confirmed, by priority,
by who's responded out of who's been invited, etcetera. I also was able
to set up queries which told me the maximum still possible (total of
invited, with RSVP-nos at zero), and the final count (total of rsvp'd
guests, with nos at zero).

I started it two years ago by using it for xmas letters! We did that
the first year we were engaged, so people knew we'd been engaged for
almost a year at that point, and last year's letters reminded our guests
of the date and location. You can *still* use it for xmas letters
later, just deleting all of the wedding crap like "where staying" and
"priority" and "number attending".

As for making lists and doing table arrangements, I found it easier to
handwrite the names of couples or individuals on 1/24th slips of paper.
My family (& family friends) were in purple, his in blue, library
workers in navy, net.friends in brown, college or local friends in
orange. Easy to figure out how many net.friends we have at a single
glance! :) Kind of annoying, but that way we could have tables of 10
or 12, and paper-clip them together when a table was "set". We did a
draft, but now 17 more people are coming! :) I'm a visual person on
table-arranging, though...

Maureen Gudio

Jun 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/29/98

> Dawn