Help needed regarding "copy-once" protected tv broadcasts

akac...@webtv.net

Apr 9, 2008, 8:34:02 AM4/9/08

Hi all,

This is the first time I've ever run across this type of broadcast, so
here's the story.

I have a stand-alone dvd recorder with a hard drive. Early this morning
I recorded a movie off Encore Westerns channel to the hard drive. When
I tried burning a copy it would not do so. An exclamation mark appeared
indicating the recording is copy-once protected, at least with this
model (Pioneer DVR 531HS)

I now consult my operating manual which says the following:

"A copy-once program can be recorded to hard drive but it can't then be
freely copied again. If you want to transfer copy-once protected
material from the hard drive to dvd, you'll need to use a VR mode disc
compatible with CPRM Ver. 1.1 or higher. Only one instance of a
copy-once protected title can be added to the copy list, and after it's
been copied, the title is erased from the hard drive (it is therefore
not possible to copy a locked title that is copy-once protected.)"

Also in the manual is a description of CPRM:

"CPRM is a copy protection scrambling system developed for the recording
of 'copy-once' broadcast programs. CPRM stands for 'Content Protection
for Recordable Media.' This recorder is CPRM compatible, which means
that you can record copy-once broadcast programs, but you cannot then
make a copy of those recordings. CPRM recordings can only be made on
CPRM-compatible dvd-r (ver. 2.0/8x or higher) or dvr-rw (ver. 1.1 or
higher) discs formatted in the VR mode or on the HDD."

I'm gathering this is essentially the same idea as the copy-protection
system worked into my Philips stand-alone cd recorder (cdr 560) which
allows me to use only specific blank media so that the money-grubbing
studios can get their share of your recordings.

When I tried to burn a copy, after changing to VR mode, it said that I
didn't have the right type of disc. I usually use 8x Taiyo Yuden blanks.

Essentially, my main questions are:

Are all the Encore channels broadcasts copy-protected?

What type of discs do I need to buy, that is, what brands are CPRM
compatible?

Can I record such a broadcast direct to a regular dvd-r instead of the
hard drive, or would I still need a CPRM compatible disc. I just didn't
know if that type of disc was needed just when copying from the hard
drive.

Sheesh, this is all new to me. Any and all help will be greatly and
forever appreciated.

Many thanks in advance....
Alan

electrochrome

Apr 9, 2008, 10:29:27 PM4/9/08
A digital time base corrector placed between the video input to the
DVD
recorder and the video output you're trying to record from eliminates
these kinds of problems. I've mentioned this before. The Datavideo
TBC 100 and the AVT 8710 are popular among videophiles.

X L

Apr 10, 2008, 3:40:43 PM4/10/08

Or just disable macrovision on the recorder itself if its a easy
hackable model. with some
all you need is a remote code. others require a download program to
change the firmware. as long as you have a recorder with macrovision
turned off the recorder will ignore any copy protected signals coming
from a digital receiver. the same should apply with a TBC. but their
pricey.

electrochrome

Apr 10, 2008, 9:57:31 PM4/10/08
You have to have some technical knowledge (not much, but a little) to
macro-hack a DVD recorder. As for TBCs being pricey, I dunno...is $190
very expensive? You spend that amount once and it eliminates ALL
your copy protection problems FOREVER. As long as the video is
transmitted in analog form, a TBC will knock out _all_ copy
protection.
$190 seems like a pretty cheap price to pay to get rid of all copy
protection problems, including macrovision-protected commercial
VHS tapes and being able to record straight from the output of
a DVD player playing a copy-protected disc. But that's just my 2 cents.

Murray

Apr 10, 2008, 10:30:22 PM4/10/08

I was wondering why the older Panasonics dvd recorders with hard
drives were selling so high in price on ebay. They must have been made
without this CPRM crap.
I'd like to know how many shows are protected? Hopefully, it's just
movies and not TV series, Oscars, Grammy Awards, NFL etc. Seems to me
they would start with primetime shows too like CSI shows so they can
sell the dvd sets.

X L

Apr 11, 2008, 12:39:33 PM4/11/08

You need no tech knowledge to hack a dvd recorder. if you figured out
how to use a pc this is easy as pie. their are simple remote codes for
some recorders. and the downloads for others is easy as well. you just
need a blank cdr or dvd. download a hack program that's for your
recorder and just insert the disc in the recorders drive. done. simple.
LOL- and yes i call 190.00 plenty for a TBC. personally i haven't seen
one at that price. they are normally over 200 to 300 dollars. don't
forget what's coming next year. it would be best to buy a hackable dvd
recorder with a digital tuner. just my 2 cents.

spam@starband.net Deke

Apr 12, 2008, 9:15:20 AM4/12/08

"X L" <Xza...@webtv.net> wrote in message
I have recently discovered that I can defeat the "do not copy" flags on my
JVC VCR/DVD combo simply by holding down the dub button for about 20 seconds
after you start the transfer. Normally, it would give you an error and shut
down if you just press the button and release. If held down for
about 20 seconds after you start the dub, it ignores the flag and records
till you stop it. Who Knew!

X L

Apr 12, 2008, 11:02:29 AM4/12/08

That's awesome partner. i bet others who own that recorder would like to
know what you just found out about it. if you would post your info on
some dvd recorder forums.

spidy

Apr 12, 2008, 6:28:16 PM4/12/08

I just got a magnavox recorder that actually automatically records in
vr+ format, so it is record once only from the start....the evil
fiends !!!!