Pioneer CLD-79 Question

wil...@attglobal.net

May 16, 2002, 10:14:12 PM5/16/02
I have a Pioneer CLD-79 which every now and then seem to not want to
eject the disc after playing. It seems to pause for a long time
saying 'Open' on the display and the TV screen but will not seem to
eject the disc. I waited almost 2 minutes, longer than what I thought
might be normal. Power off and power on fixed it and the disc ejected
as it should. I am also referring to a full size LD, not a CD.

Right before this happened, I got a 'P0' error while watching a movie,
when the side changed occured. I ejected the disc and reloaded and
the movie continued without problems.

Any ideas here?

Thanks.

Jim

Kurtis Bahr

May 17, 2002, 12:42:57 AM5/17/02
You need to clean the spindle motor. The LD is slipping

Kurtis

Chaim Caron

May 17, 2002, 1:09:58 AM5/17/02
Hi Jim,
I got a similar problem on my CLD-79, but not when ejecting, it happened
when trying to change from side a to side b. It took a very long time, then
gave the P0 error. I also powered down, powered back up, and then
proceeded. In my case, I ejected the LD, put it back in on side B, and
continued.
Your complaint sounds very similar to mine.
I sent a message to Kurtis Bahr about this and he responded:

> If there is slippage or another form of the LD not getting to speed soon
> enough, the unit cannot properly read the TOC of
> > the LD so it defaults to single sided operation. Usually cleaning the
> spindle motor so there is no LD slippage fixes this
> > problem.

Kurtis, if you are reading this, do you think this problem has a similar
cause?

Kurtis Bahr

May 17, 2002, 8:55:53 AM5/17/02
It can have a similiar cause but if you do not have any slippage whatsoever it
may be different. I suggest opening the top, put a disc in the tray and then
press Side B to close the tray. If it is a slippage problem it will go to side
B. If there is a mechanical problem it will not.

Kurtis

Clark7652

May 17, 2002, 4:21:36 PM5/17/02
I own the 79 and had the same problem with certain discs that had a shiny label
such as dts discs.It only would do this when a disc has a label like this.If
you hit stop, and wait a second it will then eject,but if you hit eject while
the disc is in motion you will have the problem you state.

wil...@attglobal.net

May 17, 2002, 8:03:32 PM5/17/02
Thanks for the tip. Is there anything special I should clean the
spindle with, such as alchohol? Thanks.

Jim

Kurtis Bahr

May 18, 2002, 12:28:39 AM5/18/02
1. Press Eject so the tray is out then unplug the unit.
2. Open the unit, in the middle above the spindle motor there is a bracket the
holds the top have of the clamp.
3. Remove the 4 screws, two on each side that hold the bracket and remove the
bracket and top clamp piece.
4. You can now easily see the clamping surface on the spindle motor. The
outter thin rubber ring is what grips the LD.
5. Firmly hold the spindle motor so it won't turn and take Radio Shack
Professional head cleaning solution and a cleaning stick, chamos sticks
preferred as they can scrub good
6. Scrub a section of the rubber surface then rotate the motor and scrub
another, Do this until throughly cleaned, you are basically resurfacing the
rubber surface so scrub HARD. Note: If the surface is bad/dryrotted it will
flake off during this. Don't worry as this means it was not good and needed
replaced anyway. This has only happened once in the countless players I've
cleaned.
7. Put it back together and test, if it still slips do it again.

Kurtis

wil...@attglobal.net

May 18, 2002, 7:10:31 PM5/18/02
Kurtis,

That fixed it. Thanks again for your help.

Jim

BILLSCHWENKE

May 18, 2002, 11:21:54 PM5/18/02
>It only would do this when a disc has a label like this.If
>you hit stop, and wait a second it will then eject,but if you hit eject while
>the disc is in motion you will have the problem you state.

Good call. The mass of these discs at spinning speed is alot, and giving it
time to wind down fill help the cycle. I know people who will hit power on a
VCR while it's playing. I never do that, but it has to cycle through all the
normal operations regardless.

Also, it will have to return to the inner side A (bottom), if playing in auto
reverse.

Bill