DVD reboot in Windows 98

Greg Volgas

Jan 8, 2005, 9:11:47 PM1/8/05
I have been through 2 DvD burners and several software burning applications
and can not seem to get things to work. I now have an NEC 3500 AG burner and
it burns CD's OK with one or tow programs. WIth Nero 6, it was rebooting the
computer when I tried to burn a simple data CD.
With Nero and other application programs, when I try to burn a DvD, the
computer reboots. I can erase a RW disk without a problem, but I can't burn
one without rebooting the computer.
I have tried 2 different media, and have also tried burning at the slowest
speed available. Always the same thing.........rebooting my machine after
the burning process starts.
I have Windows 98 (essentialy SE).
I am very frustrated! PLease help!

--
Greg and Julie Volgas

NewB

Jan 9, 2005, 1:01:33 AM1/9/05
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:11:47 GMT, "Greg Volgas"
<gvo...@earthlink.net> wrote in alt.video.dvd.tech:

I was beginning to worry.. I noticed that same problem [win98se here
too]. I have a lite-on drive with nero 5.5.10.9 iirc that was bundled
with it. I find that when i decide to burn a cd after I have been up
and running other programs, the moment I click the nero icon it
reboots. It seems to work ok after a fresh reboot. time to call nero
i think.

Message has been deleted

Greg Volgas

Jan 9, 2005, 12:32:29 PM1/9/05
My computer is home built. The power supply is 300W (I think). I'll check
next time I open the machine up.
Anyway, I preiously had a CD burner running with all the same hardware and
it worked just fine, so I really don't think the power supply is a serious
problem.
I have tried re-installing Nero and upgraded to the most current version.
Not sure if I am doing a full erase or quick erase.

Update.......
Last nigth i purchased a DVD-RW Sony disks and upgraded the firmware of the
drive. It burned just fine!
SO apparently it is a media problem. Can that really reboot a mcahine?
Also.......how do I know what media burn acceptably without having to test -
purchase them? The NEC web site lists several compatible media, but they
don't seem to provide enough desriptor to adequately make an informed
purchase.

"Greg Volgas" <gvo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Greg Volgas

Jan 10, 2005, 7:12:02 AM1/10/05
OK, I just bought the DVD blanks that are recomended by the manufacturer. I
still have reboot problems.
SO if it is a power problem, can I disable hardware in the WIndows 98 device
manager and save power. Maybe prove to myself that that is the problem
before I create more coasters.

"Greg Volgas" <gvo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Greg Volgas

Jan 10, 2005, 10:47:25 PM1/10/05
So, without investing more money (YET) in a new power supply, is there a
logical way to test the theory? Like pulling my network card, my modem
(which I don't use anyway). How can I know how much power each car pulls?
I am willing to buy a new power supply if I can be convinced that my DvD
problems will go away afterwards.

By the way.......thanks for the help. NEC has not responded to my first
email.

"GraB" <gr...@whatever.co.nz> wrote in message
> That won't stop power from going to that hardware.
>
> What hardware do you have? How old is the PC and how much has it been
> upgraded since?
>
> Usually you have to remove the PSU to see the label which tells you
> the rating. There are PSUs and there are PSUs. Those included with a
> case are usually cheap quality and perform below their rating. Brand
> name PSUs can significantly outperform them, so the actual rating of a
> PSU doesn't tell the whole story. I have a 250W brand-name PSU that
> will outperfrom many cheap 300W PSUs, powering my XP2400 with
> soundcard, TV card, controller card, 64meg video card, floppy and hard
> drives and the DVD burner. I have just got a good name 350W PSU to
> replace it as I am about to add another hard drive and may also add
> another optical drive and case fan, eventually upgrading my video
> card, which may also increase the load on the PSU.
>
> A good quality PSU can deliver a smooth power which makes the computer
> more stable.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

NewB

Jan 14, 2005, 12:02:55 PM1/14/05
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:11:47 GMT, "Greg Volgas"
<gvo...@earthlink.net> wrote in alt.video.dvd.tech:

I am having a similar problem with a CDR on win98se.

I can run nero [was 5.5.10.9 with my lite-on cdr, upgraded to
5.5.10.56 now] from a fresh reboot. But if i have run some programs,
and still have a few running, when I click the icon to open nero, it
causes a reboot. This is not burn related, because I don't get that
far. It reboots immediately on trying to open nero.

Greg Volgas

Jan 14, 2005, 9:29:02 PM1/14/05
Thanks for all the help.
Last night, I removed the Modem card from my computer, the only one that I
could really live without. I also noted that I have a 300W power supply,
though admittedly not the best quality in the world. But according to the
calculators you directed me to, I should have had plenty of surplus power.
I burend a RW DvD succesfully, (which I could do before), then I tried
burning a regular DvD-R. Once it failed and locked the computer. Next try
rebooted the machine. (All tries with background programs shutdown.)
Almost ready to give up and send it back, I decided tonight to put it in my
son's computer. It is slower, but doesn't have so much crap loaded on it as
mine does.
Voila! It worked (at least on the first DVD) just great!

SO, my question (since you seem to be such a great advisor, and since NEC
the DVD manufacturer has not responded in over a week) is this: WHat is the
difference?
A. My computer is running an AMD Athlon 1.2 Gb processor. His is running
a Pentium II Processor.

B. My computer has all kinds of crap software loaded on it. Of course,
control alt delete says everything was shut down, but I guess I am not sure
if that really catches everything.

Could one of these differences have caused the problem?

> Any luck yet?
>
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:40:22 +1300, GraB <gr...@whatever.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >Pulling out cards will work fine or unplugging extra drives, etc.
> >PSUs are quite affordable anyway.
> >
> >Check out PSU calculators: http://tinyurl.com/44p35

Biz

Jan 15, 2005, 12:11:09 AM1/15/05

> Thanks for all the help.
> Last night, I removed the Modem card from my computer, the only one that I
> could really live without. I also noted that I have a 300W power supply,
> though admittedly not the best quality in the world. But according to the
> calculators you directed me to, I should have had plenty of surplus power.
> I burend a RW DvD succesfully, (which I could do before), then I tried
> burning a regular DvD-R. Once it failed and locked the computer. Next try
> rebooted the machine. (All tries with background programs shutdown.)
> Almost ready to give up and send it back, I decided tonight to put it in
my
> son's computer. It is slower, but doesn't have so much crap loaded on it
as
> mine does.
> Voila! It worked (at least on the first DVD) just great!
>
> SO, my question (since you seem to be such a great advisor, and since NEC
> the DVD manufacturer has not responded in over a week) is this: WHat is
the
> difference?
> A. My computer is running an AMD Athlon 1.2 Gb processor. His is
running
> a Pentium II Processor.

Could be just the old crap AMD vs. solid Intel argument..

;)

I still never see anything but Intel chipped servers in any company I work
with running standard NT based OS's. Theres got to be a good reason.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Greg Volgas

Jan 18, 2005, 10:56:04 AM1/18/05
Thanks again for all of your help.
The burner is working great in my son's computer. I plan to wipe my hard
drive and reload Windows next weekend. It is something I have been meaning
to do for a while anyway. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime,
can you recommend any freeware DvD movie burning software? I want to see if
my home DvD player will play my burned DvD's. Then I plan to buy a decent
commercial version.

> >It is pretty hard to diagnose a PC you don't have in front of you,
> >given the huge number of possible variables. But it pays to look at
> >the simple things first, like trying a different cable, checking that
> >it is correctly set up as master and that DMA is enabled. Another
> >thing to look at would be Aspi drivers: http://tinyurl.com/6duxx
>
> Also check http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm
>
> Some feel the Nero driver is better than the Adaptec one
> http://www.nero.com/en/631940833532474.html
> but some recommend the ForceASPI

Biz

Jan 18, 2005, 12:42:44 PM1/18/05

> Thanks again for all of your help.
> The burner is working great in my son's computer. I plan to wipe my hard
> drive and reload Windows next weekend. It is something I have been meaning
> to do for a while anyway. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime,
> can you recommend any freeware DvD movie burning software? I want to see
if
> my home DvD player will play my burned DvD's. Then I plan to buy a decent
> commercial version.

Thats what free trials of Nero or Roxio are for.

I believe they both have 30 day trial versions...

Greg Volgas

Jan 18, 2005, 8:12:04 PM1/18/05
I know demos are for this purpose, but one and a half hour long download
later, and a 20 minute installation, and Roxio's demo will not burn DvD's.
Only VCD's. No warning from ZDNet about this by the way.

"Biz" <bizn...@notatt.net> wrote in message

Biz

Jan 18, 2005, 10:34:42 PM1/18/05
SO use Nero then...

"Greg Volgas" <gvo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

GV

Jan 23, 2005, 12:56:39 PM1/23/05
Reloading Windows 98 has resolved the issue!
Very happy burning.