[=SDC=] Q6: Summary

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2004, 3:15:17 PM9/1/04
Schick
Ock
Sulfuric
Midol
Glock

What gives?

(This question and the previous one are courtesy of Jim Ward. I would
have had a chance at this one, maybe, if I'd spent enough time on it.)

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. panelist
If you'd like to Totally Avoid the competition, see

Mark Browne

Sep 2, 2004, 9:17:53 AM9/2/04
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, in alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> writes

>Schick
>Ock
>Sulfuric
>Midol
>Glock
>
>What gives?

A philanthropist.
--
Mark Browne
If replying by email, please use the "Reply-To" address, as the

Mickwick

Sep 5, 2004, 12:40:22 PM9/5/04
In alt.usage.english, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>Schick
>Ock
>Sulfuric
>Midol
>Glock
>
>What gives?

Does this question add up?

--
Mickwick

Paul Wolff

Sep 5, 2004, 2:03:39 PM9/5/04
In message <ch5745$l...@odbk17.prod.google.com>, Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> writes

>Schick
>Ock
>Sulfuric
>Midol
>Glock
>
>What gives?

Lurch so; kick lickful comic dogs. [AYLI?]
--
Paul
In bocca al Lupo!

Maria Conlon

Sep 5, 2004, 3:10:36 PM9/5/04
Mickwick wrote:
> Jerry Friedman wrote:

>> Schick
>> Ock
>> Sulfuric
>> Midol
>> Glock
>>
>> What gives?
>
> Does this question add up?

Add up? Certainly, once you put it all together, connect the dot,
etc.

Maria Conlon, Panel Member

Jerry Friedman

Sep 6, 2004, 6:16:48 PM9/6/04
Maria Conlon wrote:
> Mickwick wrote:
> > Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
> >> Schick
> >> Ock
> >> Sulfuric
> >> Midol
> >> Glock
> >>
> >> What gives?
> >
> > Does this question add up?
>
> Add up? Certainly, once you put it all together, connect the dot,
> etc.

I think we may have to try harder, Maria.

The next two are

Knot
Chaos

and there aren't any more.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Michael Hamm

Sep 7, 2004, 8:05:21 AM9/7/04
On 6 Sep 2004 15:16:48 -0700, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com>
wrote, in part:

> The next two are
>
> Knot
> Chaos
>
> and there aren't any more.

Well, I know that the name do Carmo goes (loosely) with knot theory. But
I'm fairly certain that that's not it.

I'll try: Schick.

(You had a list of words, and asked which one gives. Well, I guess
'schick' gives.)

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh...@math.wustl.edu Standard disclaimers:
http://math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ ... legal.html

Michael Hamm

Sep 7, 2004, 2:58:46 PM9/7/04
wrote, in part:
> [...]
<snip>

> The next two are
>
> Knot
> Chaos
>
> and there aren't any more.

Col. Schick patented Schick shavers on April 24, 1923. Wm. Hartnell,
who'd played the first Doctor, died April 24, 1975.

_Doctor Who: The Age of Chaos_ comic book was written by Colin Baker, who
played the sixth Doctor.

Tom Baker, the namesake of the man who played the fourth Doctor, runs
Elemental Solutions Group, Doylestown (Penna.) and Phoenix, which
manufactures sulfuric acid.

Um... um.... Drat.

Maria Conlon

Sep 7, 2004, 8:23:55 PM9/7/04
Michael Hamm wrote:

> <snip>
>> The next two are
>>
>> Knot
>> Chaos
>>
>> and there aren't any more.
>
> Col. Schick patented Schick shavers on April 24, 1923. Wm.
Hartnell,
> who'd played the first Doctor, died April 24, 1975.
>
> _Doctor Who: The Age of Chaos_ comic book was written by Colin
Baker,
> who played the sixth Doctor.
>
> Tom Baker, the namesake of the man who played the fourth Doctor,
runs
> Elemental Solutions Group, Doylestown (Penna.) and Phoenix, which
> manufactures sulfuric acid.
>
> Um... um.... Drat.

=============
Ya know, I gave a very good clue earlier. Subtle, but good. No one
has picked up on it. And Jerry's clue is good, too. I mean, what
*are* all those things on the lists (both original and add-on)?

My clue, in answer to the question "Does this question add up?"
was: "Add up? Certainly, once you put it all together, connect the
dot, etc."

Now what could be plainer? I'm dead serious, entrants. Just look at
the lists and the clue...

Maria Conlon, Panel Member

Anne McGuire

Sep 7, 2004, 8:52:41 PM9/7/04
In article <2q71opF...@uni-berlin.de>,
"Maria Conlon" <mariaco...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Nooses give.

--
Anne McGuire

Aaron J. Dinkin

Sep 7, 2004, 9:33:42 PM9/7/04
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:52:41 -0400, Anne McGuire <annem...@rogers.com> wrote:

> Nooses give.

Dingdingdingding! Thank you! Sheep will be on their way - and may I
recommend a Herdwick or two bonus for this very-long-awaited answer?

-Aaron J. Dinkin
Dr. Whom
Totally Official AUE Summer Doldrums Competition

If you'd like to Totally Avoid the competition, see:

http://tinyurl.com/nnuj

Peter Morris

Sep 7, 2004, 10:04:29 PM9/7/04

"Aaron J. Dinkin" <aa...@totally-official.com> wrote in message

> > Nooses give.
>
> Dingdingdingding! Thank you! Sheep will be on their way - and may I
> recommend a Herdwick or two bonus for this very-long-awaited answer?

Explain, please.

R H Draney

Sep 7, 2004, 9:44:47 PM9/7/04
Anne McGuire filted:

>> My clue, in answer to the question "Does this question add up?"
>> was: "Add up? Certainly, once you put it all together, connect the
>> dot, etc."
>>
>> Now what could be plainer? I'm dead serious, entrants. Just look at
>> the lists and the clue...
>
>Nooses give.

...and I am Marie of Roumania....r

Dylan Nicholson

Sep 7, 2004, 10:07:13 PM9/7/04

"Peter Morris" <nospam.ple@se> wrote in message

Google "nooses give". You'll see.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 9, 2004, 11:18:11 AM9/9/04
<annem...@rogers.com> wrote:

> > Nooses give.
>
> Dingdingdingding! Thank you! Sheep will be on their way - and may I
> recommend a Herdwick or two bonus for this very-long-awaited answer?

Your Cormo and five Herdwicks (Totally Arbitrary decision) are parked
outside your door. And I would like to admit that I didn't get how
clever the question "What gives?" was; if I had, my hint would have
been different.

Adrian Bailey

Sep 12, 2004, 4:30:31 AM9/12/04
"Jerry Friedman" <je...@totally-official.com> wrote in message

Yeah, neat. Very neat. Is "Ock" Doc Ock?

Adrian

Paul Wolff

Sep 12, 2004, 9:34:05 AM9/12/04
In message <HOT0d.30374$v93....@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Adrian
Bailey <da...@hotmail.com> writes
River Ock, a tributary of the Thames at Abingdon, a few miles below
Oxford (no relation).