Wednesday spacing

Michael Hamm

Mar 10, 2004, 2:29:50 AM3/10/04
What is 'Wednesday spacing' and why is it called that, please?

Michael Hamm Since mid-September of 2003,
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis I've been erasing too much UBE.
msh...@math.wustl.edu Of a reply, then, if you have been cheated,
http://math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ Likely your mail's by mistake been deleted.

rzed

Mar 10, 2004, 6:40:50 AM3/10/04
Michael Hamm <msh...@math.wustl.edu> wrote in

New to me. If you search Google groups, you may happen on the
Wednesday FAQ, which contains this:

"Somewhere in the post there will -always- be an example of a a
graphic technique now popularly known as wednesday spacing <tm>.
This is a fairly complicated system of creating full
justification by spacing each letter in a word and/or sentence
so as to create blocks of text that are seemingly larger than
normal ASCII text, wihtout relying on other ASCII tricks such as
graphics or Figlet fonts. It was designed originally as an
experiment in stretching the boundaries of the four-line
.signature, and has been picked up as a .signature protocol on a
few non-recovery groups. There is a fairly rigid template for
correctly W-spaced .signatures, which I'll probably post at some
point. My .signatures will usually contain some wednesday-spaced
blocks of text -at least-. An example of this can be found in
the primary .signature at the bottom of this post."

The .sig referred to is going to wrap pretty horribly, which may be
part of the reason there appears to be some opposition to the
technique. Natheless, here 'tis:

w e d n e s d a y I am the Pocohontas of your
campgrounds
k ' t r e v a a s h k e v r o n and the mocking child of woe
who stays
- - - c h e l a d e v a j i - - - behind to say the last amen to
the pilgrim.
w e d n s d a y @ m c s . c o m Carpe Dijon. Never Freeze
Brie. Amen.

--
rzed

Mike Barnes

Mar 10, 2004, 7:54:55 AM3/10/04
In alt.usage.english, rzed wrote:
>The .sig referred to is going to wrap pretty horribly, which may be
>part of the reason there appears to be some opposition to the
>technique. Natheless, here 'tis:
>
>w e d n e s d a y I am the Pocohontas of your
>campgrounds
>k ' t r e v a a s h k e v r o n and the mocking child of woe
>who stays
>- - - c h e l a d e v a j i - - - behind to say the last amen to
>the pilgrim.
>w e d n s d a y @ m c s . c o m Carpe Dijon. Never Freeze
>Brie. Amen.

Here's what it looks like when it's posted unwrapped. Your newsreader
might still wrap it, of course.

w e d n e s d a y I am the Pocohontas of your campgrounds
k ' t r e v a a s h k e v r o n and the mocking child of woe who stays
- - - c h e l a d e v a j i - - - behind to say the last amen to the pilgrim.
w e d n s d a y @ m c s . c o m Carpe Dijon. Never Freeze Brie. Amen.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

R H Draney

Mar 10, 2004, 10:20:18 AM3/10/04
Mike Barnes filted:

>Here's what it looks like when it's posted unwrapped. Your newsreader
>might still wrap it, of course.
>
>w e d n e s d a y I am the Pocohontas of your campgrounds
>k ' t r e v a a s h k e v r o n and the mocking child of woe who stays
>- - - c h e l a d e v a j i - - - behind to say the last amen to the pilgrim.
>w e d n s d a y @ m c s . c o m Carpe Dijon. Never Freeze Brie. Amen.

Your newsreader might do any of a number of odd things with it; mine showed it
as (I think) the author intended....

I'd love to hear a report from those who saw it with a proportional-spaced
font....r

Christopher Green

Mar 10, 2004, 12:38:36 PM3/10/04
Michael Hamm <msh...@math.wustl.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.58.04...@nfpp.negfpv.jhfgy.rqh>...

It's a way of s h o u t i n g in plain text. It's a Usenet in-joke,
apparently named for a frequent alt.religion.kibology poster who calls
her(?)self Wednesday or Wednesday Addams and regularly affects this
mode of expression. Newbies may also be told that "Wednesday spacing"
is trademarked, and one must obtain a "Wednesday spacing license" in
order to use it.

--
Chris Green

Adrian Bailey

Mar 10, 2004, 2:15:52 PM3/10/04
"Christopher Green" <cj.g...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Michael Hamm <msh...@math.wustl.edu> wrote in message
> > What is 'Wednesday spacing' and why is it called that, please?
> >
> > Michael Hamm Since mid-September of 2003,
> > AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis I've been erasing too much UBE.
> > msh...@math.wustl.edu Of a reply, then, if you have been
cheated,
> > http://math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ Likely your mail's by mistake been
deleted.

> It's a way of s h o u t i n g in plain text.

And it is of course the traditional German method of emphasising words in
text.

Adrian

--
"Am I the only one who just wants to play hopscotch, bake cookies, and
watch The McLaughlin Group?" L.S.

Michael Hamm

Mar 10, 2004, 3:32:32 PM3/10/04
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:15:52 GMT, Adrian Bailey <da...@hotmail.com> wrote,
in part:

> > It's a way of s h o u t i n g in plain text.
>
> And it is of course the traditional German method of emphasising words
> in text.

It's used in Hebrew, too.

Interestingly, there's a commentator (P'ri M'gadim, iIrc) to Shulchan
Aruch [1] that emphasize"s word"s thusl"y. (He writes in Hebrew.) I've
never seen anyone else do it that way, in any language (not that I read
many).

[1] Shulchan Aruch is the so-called Code of Jewish Law, although I have no
idea who decided that that's what it's to be called. 'Shulchan Aruch'
means 'a set table' -- the contents were set out for the reader in a
more orderly, user-friendly fashion than those of previous works.

Michael West

Mar 10, 2004, 3:32:51 PM3/10/04

In a proportional font, it looks like something that
is intended to be viewed in a monospaced font but
isn't worth the effort. The right margin is a bit ragged,
is all. The extra spacing is annoying in either type of
font.
--
Michael West

Ray Heindl

Mar 10, 2004, 4:25:09 PM3/10/04
R H Draney <dado...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Mike Barnes filted:
>>
>>Here's what it looks like when it's posted unwrapped. Your
>>newsreader might still wrap it, of course.

[horribly screwed up wrapping deleted]

> Your newsreader might do any of a number of odd things with it;
> mine showed it as (I think) the author intended....
>
> I'd love to hear a report from those who saw it with a
> proportional-spaced font....r

This particular example isn't hard to read that way because it doesn't
include a lot of unbalanced spaces.

--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply to: rahe...@xnccwx.net)

Christopher Green

Mar 10, 2004, 8:11:37 PM3/10/04
"Adrian Bailey" <da...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<IPJ3c.13327$0E1.25...@news-text.cableinet.net>...

> "Christopher Green" <cj.g...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Michael Hamm <msh...@math.wustl.edu> wrote in message
> > > What is 'Wednesday spacing' and why is it called that, please?
> > >
> > > Michael Hamm Since mid-September of 2003,
> > > AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis I've been erasing too much UBE.
> > > msh...@math.wustl.edu Of a reply, then, if you have been
> cheated,
> > > http://math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ Likely your mail's by mistake been
> deleted.
> >
> > It's a way of s h o u t i n g in plain text.
>
> And it is of course the traditional German method of emphasising words in
> text.
>
> Adrian

Yes, it is -- however, it not known there as "der Mittwochszeichenabstand".

--
Chris Green