=SDC= Q52: A Piece Of Peace

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 23, 2011, 6:03:50 AM8/23/11
According to an unreliable source, first this word meant a control for a
transportation device, then an analogous control for an updated device,
then a brand of that device whose device looks similar to that control,
then any such device that's similar in an important way to the ones with
that device. What is the word?

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

CDB

Aug 23, 2011, 9:10:14 AM8/23/11
Joystick?

John Holmes

Aug 24, 2011, 8:18:32 AM8/24/11

Capstan?

--
Regards
John

franzi

Aug 24, 2011, 10:03:54 AM8/24/11
John Holmes <s...@sig.instead> wrote

>CDB wrote:
>> Vinny Burgoo wrote:
>>> According to an unreliable source, first this word meant a control
>>> for a transportation device, then an analogous control for an
>>> updated device, then a brand of that device whose device looks
>>> similar to that control, then any such device that's similar in an
>>> important way to the ones with that device. What is the word?
>>>>
>> Joystick?
>
>Capstan?

Dumpster? (the question mark can be skipped). Not that I know the
unreliable history of dumpster controls, or that I see any link to the
slug.
--
franzi

msh210

Aug 24, 2011, 11:48:52 PM8/24/11
On Aug 23, Vinny Burgoo, TO Panelist, abed:

Mooresville, North Carolina, may provide a clue.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 26, 2011, 4:02:45 PM8/26/11
In alt.usage.english, franzi wrote:
>John Holmes <s...@sig.instead> wrote
>>CDB wrote:
>>>>>
>>> Joystick?

In some hands, yes.

>>Capstan?
>>
>Dumpster? (the question mark can be skipped). Not that I know the
>unreliable history of dumpster controls, or that I see any link to the
>slug.

Chitty Chitty Bling Bling.

Frank S

Aug 26, 2011, 5:17:15 PM8/26/11

"Vinny Burgoo" <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

regulator

CDB

Aug 26, 2011, 8:38:12 PM8/26/11
It's starting to sound like a rudder.

msh210

Aug 29, 2011, 12:13:04 AM8/29/11
On Aug 26, CDB abed:

<snip>

> It's starting to sound like a rudder.

As well it might.

Michael Hamm
TO Panelist

Snidely

Aug 29, 2011, 1:36:24 AM8/29/11
msh210 <msh...@gmail.com> scribbled something like ...

Rudders often make strange sounds when attached to a ... steering wheel.

/dps

Snidely

Aug 29, 2011, 3:37:51 AM8/29/11
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> scribbled something like ...

Or even a tiller.

/dps

franzi

Aug 30, 2011, 6:37:22 PM8/30/11
Snidely <snide...@gmail.com> wrote
Aileron. I like aileron. Once a twisting whole wing, then a twisting
part of a fixed wing, then a brand of, well, you know what.

Or run the flaperon, elevon, spoileron and stabilator up the flagpolon
and see who salutes.
--
franzi

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 30, 2011, 10:53:54 PM8/30/11

Except that the hint points to NASCAR.

--Jeff

franzi

Aug 31, 2011, 4:20:27 AM8/31/11
Jeffrey Turner <jtu...@localnet.com> wrote

True, but racing cars do have wings and flaps for downforce and drag
control.

--
franzi

Snidely

Aug 31, 2011, 5:30:52 PM8/31/11
Jeffrey Turner <jtu...@localnet.com> scribbled something like ...

> Except that the hint points to NASCAR.

I look forward to the explanation ... it appears my puzzle skills have been
lapped.

/dps

Jerry Friedman

Aug 31, 2011, 6:01:11 PM8/31/11
On Aug 31, 3:30 pm, Snidely <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner <jtur...@localnet.com> scribbled something like ...

> > Except that the hint points to NASCAR.
>
> I look forward to the explanation ... it appears my puzzle skills have been
> lapped.

The answer is "whip".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whip

--
Jerry Friedman

Snidely

Aug 31, 2011, 6:46:37 PM8/31/11
Jerry Friedman <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> scribbled something like ...

> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whip

Fascinating. My education has neglected hip-hop.

/dps

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 1, 2011, 12:50:46 AM9/1/11

The Urban Dictionary is your reference? Looks more like an urban myth
to me. Every "definition" I see uses the exact same words.

--Jeff

James Hogg

Sep 1, 2011, 12:57:36 AM9/1/11

Well, the question did begin with the disclaimer: "According to an
unreliable source".

--
James

Frank S