=SDC= Q10: Never needing to be sought

Jerry Friedman

Sep 1, 2012, 1:10:37 AM9/1/12
We are seeking the name of a place. Crusaders have come regularly to
engage in combat with their ancient rivals on this battleground, which
boasts two records: oldest in a national context, first in an
international context. The title of a famous novel could well have
been
invoked in 1990.

--
Jerry Friedman

Lanarcam

Sep 1, 2012, 4:19:27 AM9/1/12
Le 01/09/2012 07:10, Jerry Friedman a �crit :
Carthage?

I generally can't answer the questions and can seldom
understand the answers!

Guy Barry

Sep 1, 2012, 4:34:08 AM9/1/12

"Lanarcam" wrote in message news:5041c515$0$1984$426a...@news.free.fr...

> I generally can't answer the questions and can seldom
> understand the answers!

Oh I can understand both the questions and the answers. It's the connection
between the two I usually don't get.

There's a long-running programme on BBC Radio 4 called "Round Britain Quiz"
involving similarly cryptic questions. The SDC appears to be for people who
find it a bit too straightforward :-)

--
Guy Barry

Harrison Hill

Sep 1, 2012, 6:00:52 AM9/1/12
I think "Crusaders" are the Belfast football team. "Dubliners" doesn't
seem to work although it makes a good novel; "Cliftonville" doesn't
seem to work either although that is the "oldest in a national context
".

I love these questions (even though I am utterly hopeless at them!)
and reliving de Johnville's Chronicles has been a great pleasure this
morning. De Johnville is as essential as Pepys on your bookshelf, and
if you want to relive the squalor of The Crusades at first hand, that
is your read.

Robin Bignall

Sep 1, 2012, 11:26:00 AM9/1/12
Now you're getting the hang of it.
--
Robin Bignall
(BrE)

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 4:56:06 PM9/3/12
On Sep 1, 4:00 am, Harrison Hill <harrisonhill2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 6:10 am, Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>
> > We are seeking the name of a place. Crusaders have come regularly to
> > engage in combat with their ancient rivals on this battleground, which
> > boasts two records: oldest in a national context, first in an
> > international context. The title of a famous novel could well have
> > been
> > invoked in 1990.
>
> I think "Crusaders" are the Belfast football team. "Dubliners" doesn't
> seem to work although it makes a good novel; "Cliftonville" doesn't
> seem to work either although that is the "oldest in a national context
> ".

It wasn't officially invoked, but there have inevitably been jokes
about
the signing of a Spanish striker.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. hinter

Paul Wolff

Sep 3, 2012, 6:14:34 PM9/3/12
In message
<f531f69a-267d-4859...@h5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> writes
Solitude (one hundred years old in 1990).
--
Paul

Jerry Friedman

Sep 3, 2012, 8:15:27 PM9/3/12
On Sep 3, 4:26 pm, Paul Wolff <bounc...@two.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <f531f69a-267d-4859-b56a-ffbb928ec...@h5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Thank you!

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Arcadian Rises

Sep 3, 2012, 11:02:33 PM9/3/12
On Sep 3, 6:26 pm, Paul Wolff <bounc...@two.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <f531f69a-267d-4859-b56a-ffbb928ec...@h5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

On a different note, isn't it sad that the king of magic realism
suffers from dementia? I hope there is no connection between the
literary genre and the disease.