=SDC= Q44: Vowel Shifting Multiculturalism

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 6:04:19 AM8/22/11
The speckled band was a tax. Riddle it and the gangs appear. If it
annexes the province you'll win a fine-toothed saw. When existence
compounds it you'll get a clue. Exalted, that band will even swindle
Jamaicans!

Five words. Each is seven letters long. Five letters in each word are
the same and are in the same position. Which word is the odd one out and
why?

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 23, 2011, 5:02:45 PM8/23/11

The five words are: bandala, bandele, bandili, bandolo and bandulu.

CDB

Aug 23, 2011, 10:51:59 PM8/23/11
Trivial R us: "bandolo" is stressed on the first syllable, the others
not. And may I say, without in any way trying to cozy up to any
panels, how much I admire anybody who could come up with such a
collection under no threat of imminent death.

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 25, 2011, 8:43:21 AM8/25/11

Ala, ele, ili, olo, ulu.

--
VB
T. O. Yodeller

Peter Moylan

Aug 25, 2011, 9:01:39 AM8/25/11
In upper case, E is not its own reflection.

(But then, neither is U, except in the font I'm now using. Back to the
drawing board.)

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

Skitt

Aug 25, 2011, 1:49:26 PM8/25/11

Bandala is the odd one out, because it has the same vowel (a) three times.
--
Skitt (SF Bay Area)
http://come.to/skitt

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 25, 2011, 2:38:02 PM8/25/11

The answer has to do with the last three letters of each word, as shown
above.

--
VB
T. O. Bandolo-er

the Omrud

Aug 25, 2011, 2:48:20 PM8/25/11

olo is the only one of them which is not a word in Turkish.

Or possibly ala.

--
David

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 25, 2011, 2:52:47 PM8/25/11

Thank you!

Explanation:

'Band' plus:

'Ala', a Turkish adjective meaning, among other things, 'speckled'.
('Bandala' was a system of indirect taxation by compulsory purchase
enforced in the Philippines until 1851, when it became a direct cash
tax. Probably from a Tagalog word meaning 'buy' or 'barter'.)

'Ele', an imperative form of 'elemek', a Turkish verb meaning 'sift,
eliminate, riddle, annihilate, take to the cleaners'. ('Bandele' is
Romanian for 'the gangs'.)

'Ili', the 'the' accusative of 'il', a Turkish noun meaning 'province'.
('Bandili' is a Filipino noun (various languages) meaning 'fine-toothed
saw blade'.)

'Olo', the nominative form of a Finnish noun meaning 'being, feeling'.
('Bandolo (della matassa)' is the Italian for 'thread-end'.
Figuratively, it often means 'clue' or 'solution'.)

'Ulu', a Turkish adjective meaning 'great, almighty, exalted'.
('Bandulu' is a Jamaican word meaning 'scam, fraud, scamster'. Often
spelled 'bandoolo'.)

Jerry Friedman

Aug 26, 2011, 12:14:46 AM8/26/11

Since you found the clue, you will not lose your Cormo to swindling,
taxation, gangs, or, uh, fine-toothed saws.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepvocalizer

the Omrud

Aug 26, 2011, 3:49:08 AM8/26/11

I'll put it with the others, forming quite a band of sheep, but I don't
believe they are speckled.

--
David